Tomorrow’s Starter

hi8is

I just took a look at Foster's wiki and stat pages.  The dude has always been a reliever, but has been great at every level.  Moving up a level a year, his ERA, K/9, and WHIP have been outstanding consistently.  Don't know why he wasn't on the lists or given an opportunity to start at least once, considering how dominant he has pitched.  

6 minutes ago, ChiSoxJon said:

I know he'll only go an inning or so, but Foster has 0 starts in pro ball...why start now? Renteria doesn't realize how important each game is this year

He is an opener. This makes a lot of sense especially when teams platoon and you don’t have a starter who can really give you 5 solid innings anyways. This way, you can get them to burn their platoons early. It really makes no difference if he pitches the 1st and 2nd inning vs. the 5th and 6th physically.

Edited by Dick Allen

11 minutes ago, ChiSoxJon said:

I know he'll only go an inning or so, but Foster has 0 starts in pro ball...why start now? Renteria doesn't realize how important each game is this year

My guess is that they don’t want to move Detwiler out of a role he’s found early success in so far.  I would be surprised if Foster went more than a couple of innings.  He’s really only opening the game for a bullpen day. 

19 minutes ago, SouthWallace said:

My guess is that they don’t want to move Detwiler out of a role he’s found early success in so far.  I would be surprised if Foster went more than a couple of innings.  He’s really only opening the game for a bullpen day. 

Yep, I agree.  Why change a winning hand with Detwiler.  He might not be in their medium or long term plans for the bullpen but he has looked great this year.  With bullpens, you have to roll with who is hot imho.

3 hours ago, sullythered said:

I just took a look at Foster's wiki and stat pages.  The dude has always been a reliever, but has been great at every level.  Moving up a level a year, his ERA, K/9, and WHIP have been outstanding consistently.  Don't know why he wasn't on the lists or given an opportunity to start at least once, considering how dominant he has pitched.  

He doesn’t have great stuff on paper. I think that’s primarily the reason,

Steve Stone said that he must hide the ball well though since people just swing through his fastball.

2 hours ago, BamaDoc said:

Can’t believe I’m writing this but with Bummer to dl, Detwiler is now more important for later innings. Fry to wild to trust in high leverage 

Scary right?  Hard to comprehend how we can trust Detwiler more than others but here we are 😳😇

22 hours ago, Dick Allen said:

Detwiler is one bad inning away from DFA status on this board. And deservedly so.

This isn’t the end-all-be-all but while you have a profile like this along with a 0.00 ERA over 9.1IP (not many innings but just less than 20% of an average relievers yearly work) you will get at least 5 more garbage appearance before you’re cut. There’s obviously something he’s doing that fools hitters right now. It could very easily fall apart at any point, especially because he’s a soft thrower, but he’s got a few appearances before he’s Brady Lail’d

C5FCE674-1748-4C75-808B-53C4D730965B.jpeg