Basabe traded to SF for cash considerations

ron883

MLB Pipeline has already ranked Basabe as the 18th-best prospect in San Francisco’s farm system, with a scouting report noting that he “has the tools to be a worthwhile fourth outfielder,” even if his hitting is still a question mark.  Basabe has batted .248/.345/.392 across 2570 PA in the minors (none above the Double-A level), and he has shown a lot of swing-and-miss in his approach at the plate.

Luis Basabe, a 23-year-old Venezuela native ranked as the No. 11 prospect in the White Sox farm system by MLB.com, is headed to San Francisco in exchange for cash considerations.

“I think this is what makes Farhan and Scott so good at what they do,” manager Gabe Kapler said. “To be able to bring in a guy who slots immediately into our top prospects list without giving up too much in return. Basabe is tooled up. This is a guy with arm strength and speed.”

The White Sox designated Basabe for assignment earlier this week. To clear a space on the 40-man roster for Basabe, the Giants placed right-handed pitcher Jordan Humphreys on the restricted list for what Kapler termed, “family reasons.”

Humphreys was acquired last Sunday in a deal with the Mets that sent outfielder Billy Hamilton to New York.

Basabe has never played above Double-A, but the former White Sox prospect has a long track record in the minors of playing an above-average center field and drawing a considerable amount of walks.

“A real ceiling, so he’s an exciting add to our system,” Kapler said.

A career .248 hitter with a .737 OPS in seven minor league seasons, Basabe has struggled at the plate for much of his professional career but has demonstrated tools that lead some industry analysts to believe he could hit 15-to-20 home runs per year when he does reach the majors.

https://www.mercurynews.com/2020/08/09/sf-giants-acquire-outfielder-in-trade-with-chicago-white-sox/

I know he was out of options and I know his numbers didn't reflect it and I know he had poor health, but this is pretty gross

I wonder if there any systems where he would be a Top 10 prospect, even after the DFA (which didn't make sense to me), I was hoping for a bullpen flier or low level prospect at the minimum

Dumping a Top 30 prospect for cash is sickening to me

Hopefully Rutherford, Gonzalez, and Adolfo all look well

Best of luck Basabe

9 hours ago, caulfield12 said:

MLB Pipeline has already ranked Basabe as the 18th-best prospect in San Francisco’s farm system, with a scouting report noting that he “has the tools to be a worthwhile fourth outfielder,” even if his hitting is still a question mark.  Basabe has batted .248/.345/.392 across 2570 PA in the minors (none above the Double-A level), and he has shown a lot of swing-and-miss in his approach at the plate.

Luis Basabe, a 23-year-old Venezuela native ranked as the No. 11 prospect in the White Sox farm system by MLB.com, is headed to San Francisco in exchange for cash considerations.

“I think this is what makes Farhan and Scott so good at what they do,” manager Gabe Kapler said. “To be able to bring in a guy who slots immediately into our top prospects list without giving up too much in return. Basabe is tooled up. This is a guy with arm strength and speed.”

The White Sox designated Basabe for assignment earlier this week. To clear a space on the 40-man roster for Basabe, the Giants placed right-handed pitcher Jordan Humphreys on the restricted list for what Kapler termed, “family reasons.”

Humphreys was acquired last Sunday in a deal with the Mets that sent outfielder Billy Hamilton to New York.

Basabe has never played above Double-A, but the former White Sox prospect has a long track record in the minors of playing an above-average center field and drawing a considerable amount of walks.

“A real ceiling, so he’s an exciting add to our system,” Kapler said.

A career .248 hitter with a .737 OPS in seven minor league seasons, Basabe has struggled at the plate for much of his professional career but has demonstrated tools that lead some industry analysts to believe he could hit 15-to-20 home runs per year when he does reach the majors.

https://www.mercurynews.com/2020/08/09/sf-giants-acquire-outfielder-in-trade-with-chicago-white-sox/

The White Sox don't think he's adequate in CF. That pretty much tanks his profile if so. He wouldn't have made the team next spring and no minor league season really hurt him. Getting cash is better than losing him for nothing. 

7 hours ago, Dick Allen said:

Basabe probably won’t ever amount to much, but losing him for cash considerations was really a poor move. There were other options.

What were the other options? I'm not so sure 

16 hours ago, Dick Allen said:

Basabe probably won’t ever amount to much, but losing him for cash considerations was really a poor move. There were other options.

Well, they could have DFA'd someone else.  Tell us who you would have axed.

10 hours ago, Y2Jimmy0 said:

The White Sox don't think he's adequate in CF. That pretty much tanks his profile if so. He wouldn't have made the team next spring and no minor league season really hurt him. Getting cash is better than losing him for nothing. 

What were the other options? I'm not so sure 

Why did they need a CFer with Robert there?

Clearly, they still needed a RFer or even LFer due to Jimenez’s defensive adventures.

Edited by caulfield12