Basabe traded to SF for cash considerations

ron883

3 minutes ago, GermanSoxFan said:

Basabe doesn‘t profile well as a corner OF. He got caught in the numbers game. At least with org guys like Delmonico or Goins you can plug them into a major league lineup and arguably get some level of production.

Goins at least has a good glove. Not sure you can argue much production from Delmonico.

I can't get worked up about this.  If he's not capable of playing CF adequately there's no place for him anywhere near a MLB roster as a 4th OF.  The Giants are where the Sox were 4 years ago and can give a flyer on anybody that will immediately move into the top 15 in a shallow system.  If anything this move signifies how much depth Chicago has built in their system the last few years.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, chitownsportsfan said:

I can't get worked up about this.  If he's not capable of playing CF adequately there's no place for him anywhere near a MLB roster as a 4th OF.  The Giants are where the Sox were 4 years ago and can give a flyer on anybody that will immediately move into the top 15 in a shallow system.  If anything this move signifies how much depth Chicago has built in their system the last few years.

And the extra roster churn generated by all of the injuries, COVID, and extra roster spots put them in a place where they had to make the move now.

I was sad about this, he had a pretty nice 2018 and then last year it made it unlikely.

However, I always thought that tier of guys like basabe would always be easy use for a middle reliever trade, but this year really makes that difficult. 

2 minutes ago, turnin' two said:

DFA- ing Flores would have been much worse in my opinion.  He has actually had success in the upper minors, and he is a LHP that is close to contributing.  I don't understand why anyone would advocate cutting him instead.

Rick Hahn literally mentioned him as a call up possibility for this season days ago.

15 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

Rick Hahn literally mentioned him as a call up possibility for this season days ago.

They called up Anderson. Ryan Goins really serves no purpose. TA and Madrigal are hurt and he still only pinch runs. He's obvious as well. All in all, it really isn't a big deal, but the Sox still have several guys who suck. At least you can't go easily 15 deep with easy DFA if needed decisions anymore.

14 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

They called up Anderson. Ryan Goins really serves no purpose. TA and Madrigal are hurt and he still only pinch runs. He's obvious as well. All in all, it really isn't a big deal, but the Sox still have several guys who suck. At least you can't go easily 15 deep with easy DFA if needed decisions anymore.

But Goins is a guy who can be  on the big league roster right now.  Basabe isn't.  They need warm bodies for the back of the roster.

4 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

But Goins is a guy who can be  on the big league roster right now.  Basabe isn't.  They need warm bodies for the back of the roster.

He could if all he was going to do is pinch run. Ryan Goins is a 32 year old pinch runner with 6 career stolen bases.  Obviously, when TA gets back, maybe even today, Ryan is probably gone, so it would have just delayed another move which would have been Basabe. Zavala is probably safe because they need a catcher in Schaumburg.

Edited by Dick Allen

2 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

He could if all he was going to do is pinch run. 

With Anderson, Madrigal, Mendick and Leury all healthy, he has zero role.   (Obviously not the case at the moment, although closer with TA back.)

He's a "plus" or at least average defender at this point in his career and a MEH pinch runner.   He's certainly not going to come in like a Dyson or Gore and almost automatically swipe 2nd and maybe even 3rd. 

1 hour ago, Y2Jimmy0 said:

He doesn't really profile in a corner. 

He profiles if you are optimistic on his projections. He has an above average walk rate, decent power, and a good arm. His question mark comes with batting average and strike out rate, but that’s why he’s a second tier prospect. If he’s a Charlie Tilson type that absolutely needs to be a center fielder to have any value, then I’d say he doesn’t profile, but he has the possible tools to look good in a corner. He just probably won’t hit enough or get good enough defensive reads to be productive.