Accountability Starts Monday, August 10th, 2020

caulfield12

3 hours ago, soxfan49 said:

He isn't wrong. Every now and again, Grandal and Abreu have good approaches. Moncada, Mendick and McCann have been fine, too. The rest? Horseshit

Grandal, Abreu, and Eloy are the key reasons why this offense currently sucks.  .644 / .697 / .661 OPS from the #3, #4, and #5 is not acceptable.   

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, HOFHurt35 said:

Grandal, Abreu, and Eloy are the key reasons why this offense currently sucks.  .644 / .697 / .661 OPS from the #3, #4, and #5 is not acceptable.   

The offense was great when Madrigal was in the lineup! and when they were playing KC

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, HOFHurt35 said:

This is it, plain and simple.  The team is losing because the offense has been bad, and the offense has been bad because the middle of the order has been bad.  I'm really not sure a healthy Anderson, Madrigal, Rodon, Bummer, etc. would have resulted in more wins over this stretch.

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, HOFHurt35 said:

"Every now and again they have good approaches" is what I said about Grandal and Abreu. What I mean is that they don't go up there hacking away immediately. Their numbers don't reflect it, but they do produce SOME good at bats. Keuchel's comments seem to be directed toward guys giving lax effort. I don't think guys having good at bat's means he's referring to them. You can live with physical mistakes but not mental mistakes. Good at bats = physical mistakes. Shit at bats = mental mistakes

3 hours ago, SCCWS said:

Robert has also been fine considering it is his first moth.  Leury is a career( 7 years) .257 hitter batting .271.  I think Eloy, Grandal and EE have provided limited offensive support and TA has been hurt. 

See post above

Robert overall is fine but his last few games have been horrendous and his patience at the plate as well as pitch selection has been crap. We heard how he murders fastballs yet now he's taking them or missing them

Again this thread is about poor effort. That to me qualifies. Garcia being better than normal isn't necessarily a huge notch in his belt ocnsidering he isn't all that good, but he's another good who swings away and everything seems like a joke

21 minutes ago, soxfan49 said:

See post above

Robert overall is fine but his last few games have been horrendous and his patience at the plate as well as pitch selection has been crap. We heard how he murders fastballs yet now he's taking them or missing them

Again this thread is about poor effort. That to me qualifies. Garcia being better than normal isn't necessarily a huge notch in his belt ocnsidering he isn't all that good, but he's another good who swings away and everything seems like a joke

We may be over thinking this - he may actually have been calling out everyone, but diplomatically. Consider this excerpt from Jim Margalus's latest article:

He went there. Diplomatically.

“We just came out flat, and I feel like we just stayed flat the whole game. We’ve got a lot of guys — well, excuse me, let me take that back — We’ve got some guys coming out and taking professional at-bats, being professional on the mound and doing what it takes to win. We’ve got some guys kinda going through the motions, so we need to clean a lot of things up. If we want to be in this thing at the end of the season, we’re going to have to start that now.”

I’ve included the “excuse me” part not out of stenographic hardassery, but because it’s illustrative of the line he had to toe. He might’ve wanted to start the sentence with, “We’ve got a lot of guys with no detectable plan at the plate,” but the next time Keuchel biffs it, he’s inviting José Abreu to say through Billy Russo, “Maybe Beardo can give us a chance next time.” So Keuchel had to reroute and phrase it in a way that allows his teammates to self-label.

The quote as originally reported to us sounded like he had 2 or 3 guys in mind, but I agree with Jim's take here, it sure seems like Dallas thinks most of the offense have been taking poor approaches, but (smartly) walked it back a bit to give some guys plausible deniability and avoid feuds. 

Edited by gusguyman

3 minutes ago, gusguyman said:

We may be over thinking this - he may actually have been calling out everyone, but diplomatically. Consider this excerpt from Jim Margalus's latest article:

The quote as originally reported to us sounded like he had 2 or 3 guys in mind, but I agree with Jim's take here, it sure seems like Dallas thinks most of the offense have been taking poor approaches, but (smartly) walked it back a bit to give some guys plausible deniability and avoid feuds. 

Whoa, whoa, are you saying the media is overreacting and Sox fans are eating it up because they want to be upset? 

Yeah, I guess that makes sense to me.

4 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

Whoa, whoa, are you saying the media is overreacting and Sox fans are eating it up because they want to be upset? 

While that is a fair take too, I was actually sort of saying the opposite. Dallas doesn't have a couple batters in particular that he is mad at, he thinks the entire offense has been unprofessional in their approach, with maybe a couple batters in particular that he isn't mad at. 

https://theathletic.com/1988018/2020/08/11/dallas-keuchel-calls-out-white-sox-teammates-as-slide-continues/?source=dailyemail

Keuchel digressed a few times during his postgame Zoom session. He mentioned that Monday was “one of the first times” in an 8-9 start to the season that he felt like effort and execution were “subpar” across the roster, and that as someone who saw the Astros walk the path from rebuilding laughingstock to World Series champions, he knows the shift in standards is “something that happens on a young team.” But for the most part, he unleashed the kind of intolerance for inconsistency the White Sox front office said the team was excited to add in December.

“If you love baseball, show up to the park every day and make sure that you’re ready to go,” Keuchel said. “We got in at 2:30 in the morning, we played a tough ballgame against the Indians. That’s who we’re going to have to beat if we’re going to win this division or we get into the playoffs. It just seemed like we were taking a night off. We can’t afford that with a young core that we have here. We’ve got to show up every day, and even if there’s no fans, we’ve got to make sure that we’re ready to go. And if we’re not ready to go, we’ve got to fake it until we make it.”

That Keuchel even suggested that various members of the lineup were sleepwalking through one night in a 60-game season, let alone one where the Tigers pitching tandem Michael Fulmer and Daniel Norris bounced back from a rough start at Sox hitters’ expense, is a fair sight more critical than Renteria typically is of the club’s effort. This is a new tone for internal reactions to White Sox losses. Optimistically, Keuchel’s scorn reflects the sense of urgency necessary to make the leap to playoff contention in a compressed, 60-game format.

2 hours ago, southsider2k5 said:

Dallas Keuchel has been doing this long enough to know what's going to happen if he makes a public statement like that, he doesn't make it accidentally and then say "oops now the media is overreacting how could I have ever seen that coming". 

3 hours ago, soxfan49 said:

See post above

Last 15 games , Robert is hitting .286 w 21 S.O. and Moncada is hitting .274 w 19 S.O.  I would say their struggles are pretty even. I would not say it is poor effort. In their case, both are young players who are going through a bad stretch. 

2 hours ago, gusguyman said:

While that is a fair take too, I was actually sort of saying the opposite. Dallas doesn't have a couple batters in particular that he is mad at, he thinks the entire offense has been unprofessional in their approach, with maybe a couple batters in particular that he isn't mad at. 

He made a statement about pitchers too - so I think he was more making the collective stance that the team needs to step it up. Know if you are trying to be the best, you need to bring your best day in and day out (mentally) - even if you don't have your best stuff or are as locked in - you need to grind every single day to be great.  It is that mindset that is tough to instill for teams that have been used to losing.  Its that laser focused mental aspect of the game.  

6 hours ago, caulfield12 said:

Missing the swagger of Kopech on the mound also has had a huge impact.

If he was pitching like a Wheeler right now for us and flashing TOR stuff, there wouldn't be so much concern.

Now, with what amounts to a 3 year layoff, there's a legitimate debate that he might never return to previous form, for a number of reasons, both personal/psychological and physical.

Kopech is giving me Derrick Rose vibes. He needs to bounce back from this injury and not let it consume him. 

Someone like Abreu and Encarnacion needs to step up too publicly and start by including themselves for the funk.  Abreu can say "I've hit the ball hard but  I have to have better AB s and trust the guys behind me.  I believe in these guys and this team but we all have to prove we are winners. I have come up with a lot of guys on base and I haven't got the job done."

I mean  at the end of the day, it doesn't matter what they are saying to the press and the general public.  It matters what is happening in the lockerroom.  Hopefully Dallas didn't just run to the press first, and has been trying to work with some of these kids who are learning what a baseball schedule really looks like.  We also have zero idea who has and has not said something in private.  Just because it wasn't reported, doesn't mean it didn't happen.  We do know the White Sox beat writers protect certain information, which is why we usually get newsbreaks from reporters outside of the inner circle.  Then add to that there is literally no one in the lockerroom this year, so we would never know if someone gave a speech, had a meltdown or any other motivational technique, unless someone snitched.

• Like 1