8/11 Sox at Detroit game thread

southsider2k5

• Quin pinned this topic

Good to see Jose Abreu is okay. Although I'd like it to see him have a more patient approach at the plate. His walk rate is way down. He's a dangerous hitter. Pitchers are going to be careful with him. But he's hacking at a lot garbage... my two cents.

10 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

Strengths

Alexander’s best skill is his uncanny control of his pitches. He pounds the strike zone with all three of his pitches — more on those in a bit — and has advanced command to keep hitters off balance by locating his offerings off the plate. He only walked 20 batters in 19 appearances last season! Scouts also praise his baseball knowledge, noting that he already has a good feel for mixing pitches. He also controls the running game well with a good pickoff move, and fields his position well. TigsTown’s Mark Anderson summed up Alexander as such, and most other scouts seem to agree.

Raw arsenal doesn’t jump off the page; potential for three pitches with fringe-average to average grades; entire package plays up because of outstanding command; can dominate hitters with location of three pitches, deception in delivery, and high pitching IQ.

These sentiments are echoed by David Littlefield, Detroit’s vice president of player development

Very advanced thinker, he competes well. He’s mature. He throws a lot of strikes and has an advanced approach...Sometimes, his individual pitches aren’t as impressive as the overall package. He locates real effectively, and the change is probably his best pitch....there’s command and life to his fastball, and it’s a fairly complete pitching package. But it’s still in the development stage.

Weaknesses

From a raw “stuff” standpoint, nothing about Alexander is better than average. His fastball sits around 89-91 miles per hour, topping out at 93 mph with good sinking movement. He secondary offerings are all average as well. He features a sweeping slider in the low 80s, and a low 80s changeup with sink. For the most part, scouts think that none of it will get much better. The lone exception is FanGraphs’ Eric Longenhagen, who sees Alexander’s changeup becoming his best pitch, grading it a potential 55 pitch, or slightly above-average.

While he won’t blow batters away with nasty strikeout material, getting through six innings with three runs or fewer allowed is a valuable asset to have in your rotation. I think Alexander projects to be a tick better than Kyle Ryan, but doesn’t have the upside of a Matt Boyd due to his lack of velocity. The term “crafty lefty” applies here. There have been plenty of such pitcher that have had good, long careers in Major League Baseball. There is a small chance Alexander gets called up this season, depending on health and how aggressive the Tigers want to be with him.

Jacob’s Scouting Report:

Fastball: 50
Slider: 50
Changeup: 50
Control: 60

Dude, thanks for replying but you didn't link to the original post so I have no idea where this comes from, and didn't someone just note on another of your posts that you can't excerpt large sections of text from places, particularly without credit, as you're making us host copyright violations?

Control pitcher without dominant stuff, inexperienced at the big league level.

The White Sox have no business going down 3 1/2 games in the standings to the Tigers at near the 1/3rd post of this season.

No excuse that Gio's going, or that Leury Garcia is out.

We have all of our expected starters in the line-up, other than Madrigal (you can debate that one, vs. Leury/Mendick) and Engel over Mazara in RF.

21 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

Dude, thanks for replying but you didn't link to the original post so I have no idea where this comes from, and didn't someone just note on another of your posts that you can't excerpt large sections of text from places, particularly without credit, as you're making us host copyright violations?

https://www.blessyouboys.com/2017/2/6/14259732/detroit-tigers-prospect-rankings-tyler-alexander-scouting-report

From the Tigers' fan/team site...so obviously it's going to be most favorable to their own prospects.  It's not a site that is going to generate any revenue at all, they're break-even at best, and most of those similar sites around the web are losing money and have all volunteer content writers trying to get experience and exposure for their work in order to get a paid gig.

I just threw it up there very quickly because Balta asked and it was the first in-depth report I came across, and forgot to include the link.

Okay, I'm not going to include any "previews" anymore to make it easier for readers, I'll just throw up the links and trust that people in this site can figure out how to click or not click on them.

https://www.nolo.com/legal-encyclopedia/fair-use-rule-copyright-material-30100.html

One argument on behalf of a site like SoxTalk is that it's solely for educational/informational purposes and not for profit/commercial application or subscription fees.    Bless You Boys is not a site like The Athletic, for example...it's also for informational purposes, and exposing their writers/gaining experience and building their resume/CV.

Honestly, I just copy and pasted it so quickly and wasn't paying attention because I was looking at my phone, Ipad and writing at the same time my wife was talking to me.

You can go through the entire Covid-19 thread and you won't see an article without attribution or at least CNN or a connection to the news source somewhere in the article, for example.

Edited by caulfield12

28 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

So, just so I don't get in trouble, might as well DELETE this post as well.

Everyone can click on the link I posted if they really care that much about the Alexander scouting report.

The Tatis post was from Dennis Lim, who also writes for the San Diego Union Herald.  I made sure it wasn't more than 35% of the entire article.  It's just a REALLY REALLY long article, I didn't come close to posting the whole thing.

Edited by caulfield12

1 minute ago, Vulture said:

Pretty sure copyright applies regardless of the profitability of the holder.

Fine, I'm done with posting anything with a link around here.

Done with the Covid-19 thread too.   People in America simply don't listen to logic/science, so it's pointless to waste time anymore.

Edited by caulfield12

• Kyyle23 locked and unpinned this topic