8/12 Game Thread Sox@ Detroit finale noon start

southsider2k5

4 minutes ago, Dominikk85 said:

He did show some good signs but in what planet is 5 runs in 6 a quality start? He did keep them in the game and went 6 but 5 in 6 is a 7.5 ERA in that game.

I do think he is showing signs of improvement but I would not call that a QS yet.

Only 1ER.  But served up meatballs for homers.  Wouldn’t call it a QS myself. 

Edited by SouthWallace

3 minutes ago, GermanSoxFan said:

He had a horrible July, but picked it back up in August in September and put up really good numbers  for a catcher. To say he had a poor second hald is technically correct, but doesn’t tell the whole story.

That's fair. I do recall that more clearly now that he picked it back up a little. Not like he was in the 1st half, but still solid. I'm not taking last season away from him. That's for sure. 

1 minute ago, GermanSoxFan said:

I like the Cordero vs. Canrera matchup much better tbh. If Jimmy pounds the inside half ot the plate, Cabrera has no shot against him

Yeah, Marshall's stuff isn't quite so dominant.   Good, but not blow you away type stuff that Miggy can't handle any more.

1 minute ago, GermanSoxFan said:

I like the Cordero vs. Canrera matchup much better tbh. If Jimmy pounds the inside half ot the plate, Cabrera has no shot against him

Yup Miggy isn't as good vs. velocity and Jimmy has a lot of it. Marshall doesn't.

Just now, caulfield12 said:

We are to the point where we need to put Engel in as a defensive replacement for Jimenez in the late innings.

At least Mazara has that Top 5-10 in the game outfield arm.

Definitely in the 9th - Engel should be in there. 

I mean, even if just for protecting his body. Shit... the guy walks a very thin tightrope every time he goes towards a wall. Whether it be in foul territory or the left field wall. 

2 minutes ago, wegner said:

Got nervous there, but nice job by Evan.  Who has the 8th?  It would be nice to get some more runs.  Game Threads and Colome in a close game are too stressful. ;)

Burdi or Detwiler, lol.

Can't use him back-to-back.   Good question.    Heuer's been going through a rough patch.

14 minutes ago, chw42 said:

McCann is a UFA next year. Sox are probably not gonna bring him back. You don't pay Grandal $73 million and then pay a 2nd catcher big money.

People laughed when I said signing Grandal was a misuse of resources when we were already set at catcher this year with McCann. 

• Like 1