8/12 Game Thread Sox@ Detroit finale noon start

southsider2k5

4 minutes ago, JUSTgottaBELIEVE said:

My position was that McCann would be the better investment moving forward (production per $ spent). Rather than signing Grandal, I wanted McCann extended another 2-3 years and to use the savings for pitching help. Need pitching to win in the playoffs.

But you're ignoring the need for power , LH, and OBP and we had a stable full of young starters. Plus theres no guarantee McCann still doesn't choose free agency. Covid messed up a lot of plans . I too thought another starter might be necessary but GIOGON was Ok. I also stuck up for McCann a lot but Grandal is a proven top catcher in baseball whereas McCann wasnt.

MLB Trade Rumors has Mike Minor and Jose Quintana in TIER 1, along with Tanaka.

Not going there with them, not based on how Minor's throwing, and Q's impossible to value right now.   Tanaka unlikely to leave NY.   Could see him going back to JPN or retiring, but likely figure out a way to stay with the Yankees for less money.

2 minutes ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

But you're ignoring the need for power , LH, and OBP and we had a stable full of young starters. Plus theres no guarantee McCann still doesn't choose free agency. Covid messed up a lot of plans . I too thought another starter might be necessary but GIOGON was Ok. I also stuck up for McCann a lot but Grandal is a proven top catcher in baseball whereas McCann wasnt.

I guess paying $70M+ for a player that you can’t play in the playoffs (two years in a row with the Dodgers) was a red flag to me.

Just now, caulfield12 said:

18 months ago, it seemed like Lucas Giolito was on the way out of baseball.   Someone with that kind of stuff, sometimes everything just clicks in the right situation.

Which is why you don't quit on starters with LIVE arms after a small amount of starts... [hint, hint]

10 minutes ago, GermanSoxFan said:

What’s up with your mancrush on Gausman. He isn’t good. And Richards is definitely not in tier 1 either 😂

Do you remember how good Richards was with the Angels before the injuries?    He's getting closer and closer to being the same pitcher.