Would you add a FA starter b4 2021, and who/why?

caulfield12

Would you add another starting pitcher between now and 2021, via trade or FA?  

47 members have voted

1. 1. If so, who would you prefer, and for how many years/how much total guaranteed money?

• Trevor Bauer, Reds
    • Jose Quintana, Cubs
    • Robbie Ray, D-Backs
    • Marcus Stroman, NYM
    • Masahiro Tanaka, NYY (KW always gets his man?)
    • James Paxton, NYY
    • Garrett Richards, SDP
    • Kevin Gausman, SFG
    • Jake Odorizzi, Minn
    • Taij.Walker/M.Wacha/Alex Wood

https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2020/04/2020-21-mlb-free-agent-class-starting-pitchers.html

Another name that I couldn't fit into the poll, Mike Minor, who had a great comeback 2019 season but is really strugglng out of the gate in his first four starts in 2020.

1. Giolito

2. FA/Trade

3. Keuchel

4. Cease

5. Kopech/Lopez/Rodon/Dunning

Stiever, Thompson, Dahlquist, Flores, Crochet, Kelley, etc.   Lambert?

1 minute ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Bauer makes a ton of sense on a one year deal as it allows Cease & Kopech another year of development in the back of the rotation and allows for Dunning to be your swingman.

There are a lot of candidates forming there now.  You've got Detwiler (pretty low confidence), Foster (anything is possible), Lopez and/or Rodon, etc.

Of course, there's another big question for 2021.

Who is going to be the closer, and do we spend any money on that?   Have a feeling we're not going to overpay, KW/Hahn having learned that lesson in the past...

Bummer

Burdi (can't believe I'm typing that, probably overreacting) and Heuer

LHR (need to acquire), Fry for now

E. Marshall

J.Cordero/Foster

Detwiler/Rodon/Lopez/Flores/Dunning (swingster)

Then you've got all those young kids like Stiever/Dahlquist/Thompson and the 2020/21 draft classes.   

5 minutes ago, EloyJenkins said:

Bauer obviously. Just don't see why he would pick Sox. I really like Stroman on a 2 year deal with a player option 3rd. That lures him from other teams on the 1 year prove it offers and doesn't kill the books if he is mediocre. I like his fire, even if it's annoying at times.

Might have a connection with Giolito...in SoCal.   Bauer was at UCLA, Giolito at Harvard Westlake with Max Fried and John Flaherty.

Or Giolito's family with all their Hollywood connections...or they're shareholders in a drone manufacturing start-up and Bauer's a customer?

They never crossed paths at that West Coast training academy Bauer was always hyping up?  Wasn't it in Oregon or Washington state?   Can't remember.  Driveline?

2019年6月14日 - Lucas Giolito Looks Like the Ace He Was Supposed to Be ... Gerrit Cole and Trevor Bauer, in the top three picks in the draft—and Giolito seemed likely ... right now, notably favored by Bauer and Driveline Baseball, as well as ...
Edited by caulfield12

3 minutes ago, fathom said:

Q and Stroman are most likely. I don’t think Bauer and Cooper would make for a good fit.

https://www.soxon35th.com/2020/08/11/fly-the-coop-the-state-of-white-sox-pitching-development/?utm_source=rss&utm_medium=rss&utm_campaign=fly-the-coop-the-state-of-white-sox-pitching-development

So, no, I don’t think outside opinions are a bad thing. I doubt every pitcher vibes with their pitching coach on every other team in baseball. That’s just not how this works. I’m sure there are things Cooper does well that have helped guys throughout the system – I mean, players have said as much in the past and to this day. However, at the same time, I’m sure there’s some “traditional” tendencies that not everyone on the team agrees with. At that point, players will seek outside opinions or new data/information than what’s presented. This is not a bad thing in my opinion; rather, it’s a positive development of a willingness and drive to get better on the part of players.

We as fans place too much emphasis on what the coaches do for a team. The coaches can’t hold players accountable for their own development, can’t get them to put in work off the field, and certainly can’t throw the pitches for them. They can suggest what they think works and work to find solutions together. But if something isn’t working, it’s up to the players to find new opinions.

Check the bottom part, Are Outside Opinions A Good Thing???    Interview/article with Don Cooper.  The first paragraph is more about Driveline/Kyle Boddy/Bauer...which I couldn't fit in.

Edited by caulfield12
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, caulfield12 said:

Might have a connection with Giolito...in SoCal.   Bauer was at UCLA, Giolito at Harvard Westlake with Max Fried and John Flaherty.

Or Giolito's family with all their Hollywood connections...or they're shareholders in a drone manufacturing start-up and Bauer's a customer?

They never crossed paths at that West Coast training academy Bauer was always hyping up?  Wasn't it in Oregon or Washington state?   Can't remember.  Driveline?

2019年6月14日 - Lucas Giolito Looks Like the Ace He Was Supposed to Be ... Gerrit Cole and Trevor Bauer, in the top three picks in the draft—and Giolito seemed likely ... right now, notably favored by Bauer and Driveline Baseball, as well as ...

I'm pretty sure Trevor Bauer is friends with nobody, by his own choosing. He's an odd dude.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, fathom said:

Q and Stroman are most likely. I don’t think Bauer and Cooper would make for a good fit.

Understatement of the century.

I think Bauer stays in Cincinnati. They have aligned their entire operation to what he would love, it's out of the spotlight, and they can get close enough.

3 hours ago, ptatc said:

I assume then no one wants to give any of the young, inexpensive, cost controlled pitchers like Dunning or Stiever a chance. 

Giolito, keuchal, cease, kopech.  Or is Cease gone instead.

They will get their chance one way or another, as we've seen this year. But I don't think it's the worst thing in the world for a young, inexpensive pitcher to force their way onto the team next year rather than being handed a spot. 

No. Too risky this year. we dont know if the season will end. The only guy that makes sense is Bauer and he will cost. Imagine trading future pieces for him, the season ends, and now he's a FA and we lost players. 

Maybe Stroman if he does not cost more than players to be named based on how the season ends.

Edited by Capital G

45 minutes ago, bmags said:

love when sox talk says other teams don't have revenue to sign a player. It's accurate roughly 0% of time.

I just pretended like that franchise didn't have the money to make another big signing because it was too depressing from the point of view of Sox fans.

This was the Machado signing.

I don't remember making many other comments about signing or not signing someone, other than perhaps doubting we would be able to outgun the Cardinals for Luis Robert.

Those are the only two that come to mind, and they weren't exactly "off the wall" positions because there were at least two times we were "nearing a deal" with Machado and it was even featured as a banner headline on ESPN main page...and yet MOST Sox fans still were far from confident of it happening.  Of course, the popular argument of the day was that Padres were essentially a small market franchise and couldn't afford to sign someone for hundreds of millions...and that Jay and Yonder Alonso alone were enough to counterbalance that.  

Robert was a shocker, almost everyone in baseball thought he would go to St. Louis.   The two main reasons NOT for that to happen were the rumors of unhappiness from a number of high profile African-American/Latino players, and 2) the Cuban Connection.

7 hours ago, ptatc said:

I assume then no one wants to give any of the young, inexpensive, cost controlled pitchers like Dunning or Stiever a chance. 

Giolito, keuchal, cease, kopech.  Or is Cease gone instead.

Yes I do. First and foremost the season has to finish . Theres no way to know what we need yet. This thread is 5 months early.

5 minutes ago, hogan873 said:

Imagine signing Quintana to a decent deal.  The Sox would end up with him, Jimenez, and Cease.  I don't know what kind of money he'd command, though.

I loved Q when he was here. Ready to move on though. Keuchel is already the crafty, smart lefty the team needs. They need more of a #2 type guy and Q is not that anymore. 

Giolito
FA
Keuchel
Cease
Kopech/Dunning

Lopez is either traded for a RF or converted to a dominant Bullpen guy. Honestly if Bummer or Foster can be the closer moving forward, Lopez could be a really important bullpen piece. 

By the end of this season we should have a better idea on some of our younger pitchers.  Cease maintained his velocity yesterday till the end.  If he and Kopech progress it will allow Keuchel to move one slot down each year of his contract.  Due to this short season, next year we may need to monitor innings on a lot of these players so depth will again be important.  Next year you could see Rodon/Lopez/ Dunning and the youngsters as your 5 plus positions.  It probably makes more sense to see where we are near the trade deadline next year and maybe add then if needed.  After 2021 is when it may make more sense to add a starter and hopefully we are attractive as a competitor and should be generating money.

Colome is a free agent after 2020 I believe.  Solidifying the bullpen is a bigger need to me.  We will need another lefty you can depend on and possibly a closer.  We have a plethora of right handed options.  A lefty besides Bummer who can get both sides out and be relied upon would be nice.

• Like 1