Sox important team stat ranks 2020

Dominikk85

Looked up some stat ranks in the AL by the sox.

As of today

Hitting 

Bb%: 7.2 (12th)

K%: 24.8 (11th)

Iso: .163 (12th)

Wrc+: 105 (5th)

Babip: .317 (1st)

Pitching

K%: 23.2 (7th)

Bb%: 9.0 (9th)

Hr/9: 1.28 (9th)

Fip: 4.3 (8th)

Era: 4.26 (9th)

Overall pretty middle of the road albeit with 8 playoff teams that could be enough.

Hitting bad k to bb rate is no surprise of course. Babip could regress but I expect power to get better with tim back and EE and jose getting better in the second half which they often do albeit it is not guaranteed at their age.

Pitching is probably about right albeit there are guys who  could improve or get healthy again.

13 minutes ago, fathom said:

Without looking, who is far and away the worst base runner in baseball this year in terms of fWAR?  

https://www.fangraphs.com/leaders.aspx?pos=all&stats=bat&lg=all&qual=y&type=8&season=2020&month=0&season1=2020&ind=0&team=0&rost=0&age=0&filter=&players=0&startdate=2020-01-01&enddate=2020-12-31&sort=19,d&page=5_30

Abreu and Grandal being listed as two worst...

Luis Robert 19th in fWAR (0.9).  Leaders, Yaz and Tatis, Jr., tied at 1.7, 0.3 clear of Betts and 0.5 ahead of Br.Lowe (TB).

Edited by caulfield12

16 hours ago, Dominikk85 said:

As of today

Hitting 

Pitching

Overall pretty middle of the road albeit with 8 playoff teams that could be enough.

Hitting bad k to bb rate is no surprise of course. Babip could regress but I expect power to get better with tim back and EE and jose getting better in the second half which they often do albeit it is not guaranteed at their age.

Pitching is probably about right albeit there are guys who  could improve or get healthy again.

You may want to redo the offensive ones after yesterday’s spectacular effort!

7 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Lol at without looking...you’re hunting for reasons to hate on Madrigal.  

Truth be told, I was looking at the WAR for everyone on the team and the -2.4 was such an outlier that I looked around the league to see where it ranked. 

7 minutes ago, fathom said:

Truth be told, I was looking at the WAR for everyone on the team and the -2.4 was such an outlier that I looked around the league to see where it ranked. 

Fair enough...just no way anyone would have thought Madrigal would have been the worst baserunner in baseball after five games.  Clearly a couple bad plays (including the one he got injured on) driving that.

2 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Fair enough...just no way anyone would have thought Madrigal would have been the worst baserunner in baseball after five games.  Clearly a couple bad plays (including the one he got injured on) driving that.

Next worse is Carlos Santana, who looked like Carl Lewis scoring from first on a double against the Sox last Sunday.

3 minutes ago, GreenSox said:

You're generous: 8 of the 10 are below the mean, and the one that is #1 (BABIP - i.e. luck) suggests that things will get worse.

BABIP <> automatically mean luck and our team should always be high BABIP due to the profiles of our hitters.  Also, Statcast seems to suggest we’ve gotten unlucky when it comes to balls we’ve made contact on based on our wOBACON.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Lol at without looking...you’re hunting for reasons to hate on Madrigal.  

At this point of the season running into two dumb outs  can put you at the very rear rather quickly even behind super slow guys who just jog station to station so I would not read that much into Baserunning stats that early especially for guys who even missed time.

• Like 1

Btw decision making is clearly part of Baserunning but madrigal doesn't have the reputation of being a reckless guy who just runs wild.

A guy of his stature doesn't get drafted 4th with questionable decision making, all the reports said he is a mature guy.

He was just a young guy being a bit overanxious in his first games, I think he will be a quite smart baserunner.

• Like 1

Why do veteran hitters forget how to hit when they come to the Sox? This is a serious question. I can't remember the last time a good hitter came to the Sox and even had a "normal" year for their career. I've always thought it was the reputation of Comiskey being an HR park and they all come and just swing for the fences and aren't hitters any more.  

7 hours ago, GreenSox said:

You're generous: 8 of the 10 are below the mean, and the one that is #1 (BABIP - i.e. luck) suggests that things will get worse.

BABIP will normalize, but so will the power numbers and that should be as/more influential. Grandal, Abreu, Moncada, Mazara, and Collins were all expected to put up better power numbers than they are, so we should see those numbers normalize even if the K% and BB% don’t trend the right way.

4 hours ago, ptatc said:

Why do veteran hitters forget how to hit when they come to the Sox? This is a serious question. I can't remember the last time a good hitter came to the Sox and even had a "normal" year for their career. I've always thought it was the reputation of Comiskey being an HR park and they all come and just swing for the fences and aren't hitters any more.  

Many of them have been old and washed up, not many premium free agents age 26-29 have been signed by the sox, many have been older guys or mediocre older guys who have a big year.

Dunn was the big bust of course (even though his final 3 years had been ok albeit not great at around a 110-115 wrc+) but other than that there weren't many good guys in their prime signed.

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, Dominikk85 said:

Many of them have been old and washed up, not many premium free agents age 26-29 have been signed by the sox, many have been older guys or mediocre older guys who have a big year.

Dunn was the big bust of course (even though his final 3 years had been ok albeit not great at around a 110-115 wrc+) but other than that there weren't many good guys in their prime signed.

But its a real precipitous fall off then. Almost all of hem had a good year prior to signing. Dunn, LaRoche, even a guy like Keppinger came to the Sox and had a career worst year. Look at the start of EE and Grandal. I don't mean tthat they even have to be in their prime and have a career year. They go from being pretty good to just awful and career worst years. They don't decline they jump off a cliff.

On 8/15/2020 at 5:33 PM, Dominikk85 said:

As of today

Hitting 

Pitching

Bolded are awful. Signs of a bad offense that got lucky.