Sox just lost most embarrasing DH in 120 years of MLB

Buehrle>Wood

21 minutes ago, SCCWS said:

Maybe not a great comparison. Rick Carlisle won the NBA Championship in 2011.Since then his teams have either been eliminated in 1st round or missed the playoffs totally. Cuban has been very faithful to Carlisle despite their lack of success in the playoffs since. George Steinbrenner would be a better example of a quick trigger finger. 

If Ozzie Guillen had made the playoffs 4 times in 5 years after winning a title in 2005 he'd still be managing the White Sox today.

1 minute ago, caulfield12 said:

It's finally time for the Little Big League managing approach, hire from the Twins/Piranhas.

Disagreed.

If this team fails to make the postseason, I prefer to fire everyfvkcingbody from KW down to the clubbies, then doing a thorough search for the best possible team president to rebuild the entire organization from the ground up.

I'd give these bozos this season to save their jobs. But should they fail to perform, I think they should pay with their jobs, full stop. All of them.

• Thanks 2

6 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

If Ozzie Guillen had made the playoffs 4 times in 5 years after winning a title in 2005 he'd still be managing the White Sox today.

How many of those teams would have been in the Top 3-5 of that particular conference?

Hard to compare MLB and NBA playoff scenarios, amirite?

2006 team definitely qualifies if not for great Twins/Tigers' runs, 2008 made the last week, 2010 and 2012 teams would have made the NBA playoffs if we imposed those standards on MLB.

Obviously 2012 was Ventura, but if Ozzie and Buehrle stayed...very easy to extrapolate those numbers out and project.

That gives you 2005/2006/2008/2010/2012 (five playoff teams) and 2007, 2009, 2011 (Dunn's debacle season) missing.

5/8=62.5%

You're also talking one of the most unlimited budget teams in the NBA, and most valuable franchises historically.   Not exactly fair to compare to the Little Sisters of the Poor Chicago White Sox/Bill Veeck, almost relocated to Trop Dome team.

Edited by caulfield12

1 hour ago, chitownsportsfan said:

quite a few hay makers in those tweets, including incongruity of the FO -- that trickles down to everything.  Who is really in charge?

Who gives a fvkc? Whoever is in charge should have lost his fvkcing job years ago. 

Just fire all those assholes, and get competent leadership in. Both in the FO, and on the field. Much of what we're seeing (again) is due to weak, stupid, accommodating, and incompetent "leadership" on the part of KW, RH, & RR.

Edited by Two-Gun Pete

12 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

You're also talking one of the most unlimited budget teams in the NBA, and most valuable franchises historically.   Not exactly fair to compare to the Little Sisters of the Poor Chicago White Sox/Bill Veeck, almost relocated to Trop Dome team.

When I was a youngin, the Mavericks went a decade without a playoff appearance. In 97-98, they averaged only 13k in their stadium, 26th in the NBA. They're one of the most valuable franchises because ownership said that making the playoffs regularly and putting good teams on the court was a way to get fans into the stadium, get fans tuning in, and take advantage of a large media market. Cuban specifically bought that team because the team was undervalued after a decade of poor performance.

47 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

When I was a youngin, the Mavericks went a decade without a playoff appearance. In 97-98, they averaged only 13k in their stadium, 26th in the NBA. They're one of the most valuable franchises because ownership said that making the playoffs regularly and putting good teams on the court was a way to get fans into the stadium, get fans tuning in, and take advantage of a large media market. Cuban specifically bought that team because the team was undervalued after a decade of poor performance.

Oops, think of Rick Carlisle being with Celtics as a player, not Mavs’ boss.

Nabbing Kristaps Porzingis and Luka Doncic in two consecutive years was absolutely huge for revitalizing that franchise after their all-time great German bomber Nowitzki was no longer serviceable...

Edited by caulfield12

Poor decisions from Ricky.

Its a DH so both catchers are going to play but why not start McCann for Giolito? Yes, Giolito needs to learn how to throw to Grandal. And while his first inning was 100% self inflected since he couldn’t throw strikes, why not pair Giolito with the guy he’s most comfortable with?

Why is Abreu batting 3rd and 4th on a regular basis? He should be batting sixth every day and he shouldn’t even be playing against RHSP’s everyday.  

11 hours ago, GradMc said:

Nothing tops the brutal 1967 DH loss to the last place KC Royals with 5 games left.  Had the Sox won 3 of those 5 games, they're in the World Series. 

The KC manager was Sox HOFamer Luke Appling who started 2 rookie pitchers against them. One of them Jim Catfish Hunter.

That would be the KC A's just before slithering off to Oakland fame and fortune. At one point Charlie Finley wanted to swap franchises with the Sox since he was based in Chicago. Hawk played for those A's before signing with Boston for the pennant race.

That pie quote is made up right? That cannot be really what he said is it.......STOP WITH THE DUMBASS ANALOGIES!!! Just play the damn game and get some W’s. It’s just embarrassing.  On a side note at least we know it was Ricky in disguise at Soldier Field last year with the whole pumpkin pie at the Bears game 

Edited by HahnsKiddieTable

I have been a fan for a time, so I can think of worse DH losses than this one. The 1967 sweep by the A's was truly pathetic. The team lost a bunch of doubleheaders in 1970 and many were simply brutal. This was not that bad, bad as it was.

I didn't know what expectations to have when the season began. But I thought I would see an entertaining team, and, for the most part, that hasn't happened. If the club cannot finish a few games over .500 in a 60-game season, then there is something really wrong.  The rebuild can't be used as an excuse anymore.

Most of us agree that change needs to be made. Most of us know that probably won't happen.  2005 is becoming a hazy memory.

New year, same old approach. Pitching has evolved over the last few years and our hitters are still taking an approach to swing out of their boots. No apparent gameplan. Insane amount of K's. No walks. Drive the ball into the ground and cross your fingers. Bad baserunning. Nonsense injuries. Horrible fielding. With those descriptions you wouldn't know what year of the White Sox I would be talking about because every year has been the same. You watch teams who are consistently making the playoffs and they work counts, draw walks, and put the ball in play. They have solid fundamentals and hustle. They don't make a spectacle of themselves in the field and laugh about it.

Its so tiring having this talent wasted by such putrid coaching and preparation. I watched 1 full inning yesterday and had to turn it off. We saw something like 3 K's on 11 or so pitches. When I saw the hitters act like they didnt even want to be there I decided I no longer wanted to watch.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, fathom said:

Another cooking analogy.  He doesn’t have a competitive bone in his body. Just a high-paid babysitter.

Oh man  I would get so many likes if I could photoshop Ricky's salivating grinning face on Homer Simpson's body with a "Mmmm pie"  thought bubble above his head.

Edit : Ahh I see that thought has already been explored as I go back and read the whole thread.

Edited by CaliSoxFanViaSWside

14 hours ago, fathom said:

Jose homered on 3-0 fastball last week.  Cardinals knew this and gave him a 3-0 change up. It was smart pitch calling by them, something the Sox really suck at.  I get why Abreu was guessing 3-0 fastball, but the issue is he is guessing on every pitch now it seems.

I always get confused why people get miffed about hitters who guess. Hitting is mostly guessing. We want good ABs. There is a thought process to good ABs. You cant always be 100 % right in that thought process so much of it is informed guesswork based on pitcher knowledge, pitch sequencing and of course knowing how pitchers attack you and game situation like how many on how many outs,  the count ,who's batting behind you.Robert gets mpthrown fastballs low and in sliders low and away,curves in the dirt. Pitchers want to get ahead in the count . Usually that means 1st pitch fastball but Robert has a rep of swinging at 1st and second pitches a lot. So he gets the off the plate sliders often. All hitters also knows traditionally hitting 1st pitch fastball results in a high percentage of hits. You can go on and on about this stuff.Ted William's wrote a book on it.

Hawk used to say hitting a baseball is the hardest thing to do in professional sports hitting a round baseball with a round bat squarely. Physical gifts can get you far but being a smart hitter gets you farther. Look at Mendick .A low draft pick , not a lot of physical gifts but he gives you some of the best ABs on the team. He seems to be one of the few who gets it.

Edited by CaliSoxFanViaSWside

15 hours ago, Yearnin' for Yermin said:

What is it with Reinsdorf run teams and picking absolutely horrible managers? Aside from Phil Jackson, it's flat out embarrassing. Bevington, Ventura, Renteria, Del Negro, Floyd, Boylen. Maybe Hoiberg.

The Sox once had LaRussa, Jim Leyland, Dave Duncan and Charlie Lau on the same coaching staff. Aside from Lau, fired them all. Then they had Terry Francona in the minors, won minor league manager of the year in '93, named top managerial candidate by Baseball America in '94, and in '95 the Sox hired Terry Fucking Bevington. The one good manager we've had in the last 30+ years went nuts. We're just doomed to shitty managers.

14 hours ago, GradMc said:

Nothing tops the brutal 1967 DH loss to the last place KC Royals with 5 games left.  Had the Sox won 3 of those 5 games, they're in the World Series. 

The KC manager was Sox HOFamer Luke Appling who started 2 rookie pitchers against them. One of them Jim Catfish Hunter.

They were the KC A's back then not the Royals. Then they moved to Oakland and kept the green uniforms.

10 minutes ago, Vulture said:

The Sox once had LaRussa, Jim Leyland, Dave Duncan and Charlie Lau on the same coaching staff. Aside from Lau, fired them all. Then they had Terry Francona in the minors, won minor league manager of the year in '93, named top managerial candidate by Baseball America in '94, and in '95 the Sox hired Terry Fucking Bevington. The one good manager we've had in the last 30+ years went nuts. We're just doomed to shitty managers.

More and more I'm starting to think this group of player doesn't need a nice guy as manager. They need a task master, a drill sergeant , someone to demand the best from them. We all love Jimenez potential but he's getting a rep as this happy go lucky idiot. I'd love to see him get pissed off, show some competitive fire. Not an out of control fire but a slow intense flame that drives you ,  consumes your competitive soul. Maybe AJP is the guy for this team.

• Like 1