8-16 GT: Cardinals at Sox

Alright boys, today is the definition of a must win as the Sox are currently in 10th place in the AL at the 35% mark of the season and wouldn’t make the playoffs at the moment.  It’s officially time to stop fucking around and being swept at home and going to two games under .500, regardless of no fans, would simply be a kick to the dick.

On the mound today, we have a man named after one of the great American cities vs. some dude named after not just one but two of the lamest states in the entire US.  Our boy Dallas has been as good as advertised this year, keeping the ball on the ground and working towards a 3.04 ERA and 3.48 FIP.  Meanwhile, this Dakota character has only made one start and gave up 4 runs in 4.1 innings including a couple of blasts.  This was also 21 days ago, so dude should be rusty but then again this is the White Sox he’s facing.  Dakota is very much a sinker-slider type pitcher and I could see that poising challenges for our RH hitters.  We desperately need a plan at the plate today and  that is to not chase his slider down & away.  It’s without question his put away pitch and our hitters need to expect it when Dakota gets a favorable count.

As for the lineup today, if it were me managing I’d finally give Abreu’s ground-ball inducing ass a day-off (he has literally started every game) and go with some combo of Collins & Encarnacion at 1B & DH.  I know I’m in the minority, but this is a perfect spot for my boy Collins and I hope Ricky finally realizes he does have a LH power bat on his roster not named Mazara and that it’s ok to use him in certain matchups.

Regardless, let’s get a fucking win today and welcome those Tigers on a high note!  Let’s fucking go!!

Edited by Chicago White Sox
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

Just wanted to point this out, but here are our hitters’ average launch angles this year vs. last year with their ground-ball rates in parentheses:

• Jimenez: 3.1 / -6.2 (54.7% / +6.8)
  • Anderson: 7.4 / -1.3 (52.9% / +4.3%)
  • Abreu: 7.8 / -3.1 (55.6% / +9.3%)
  • Grandal: 8.9 / -4.4 (41.7% / +2.6%)
  • Robert: 9.4 / NA (42.0% / NA)
  • Moncada: 16.8 / +4.5 (36.5% / -5.8%)
  • Encarnacion: 22.3 / -4.9 (42.3% / +11.5%)
  • Mazara: 20.5 / +10.1 (26.7% / -20.1%)
  • MLB Avg: 11.9

Some of our guys are actually hitting balls pretty hard this year, but their launch angles have decreased quite a bit YoY and that has resulted in a lot more ground-balls.  Eloy & Jose are real problems as they are guys with serious power who you’d like to see lofting the ball much more.  I’m not sure if this is from a lack of awareness of how launch angle works, a lack of game-planning against certain types of pitchers & pitches, or just a sample size issue (I’m sure this is part of it), but our offense will continue to have problems if what should be a power-oriented offense keeps hitting this many ground-balls.

• Like 3

I'll probably watch the first 3 innings. That will tell me what kind of mindset this team is in today. I'm done watching 9 inning games where they get 2-5 hits and 0-2 runs with their SP imploding in the first 3 innings.

A lot of people stuck with the rebuild, and if it doesn't even get off the ground, people are going to start leaving in droves. I know this is an anomaly of a season, and it was probably going to be another development year anyway, but there are just way too many signs of incompetency, unpreparedness. and lackadaisicalness. You cannot have that and win at the same time.

Edited by ScooterMcGee
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

45 minutes ago, tray said:

Please just stop with Collins.

Why? We’re ruining a first round draft pick by barely using him. I get there’s not really a spot for him on this roster, but even last year his treatment was terrible. He might not amount to anything, but give him pinch hitting opportunities every four games and he definitely will not.

24 minutes ago, Dallas Kong said:

Why? We’re ruining a first round draft pick by barely using him. I get there’s not really a spot for him on this roster, but even last year his treatment was terrible. He might not amount to anything, but give him pinch hitting opportunities every four games and he definitely will not.

Basically, the Joe Borchard Treatment...pioneered in early 2000’s.

1 hour ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Just wanted to point this out, but here are our hitters’ average launch angles this year vs. last year with their ground-ball rates in parentheses:

• Jimenez: 3.1 / -6.2 (54.7% / +6.8)
  • Anderson: 7.4 / -1.3 (52.9% / +4.3%)
  • Abreu: 7.8 / -3.1 (55.6% / +9.3%)
  • Grandal: 8.9 / -4.4 (41.7% / +2.6%)
  • Robert: 9.4 / NA (42.0% / NA)
  • Moncada: 16.8 / +4.5 (36.5% / -5.8%)
  • Encarnacion: 22.3 / -4.9 (42.3% / +11.5%)
  • Mazara: 20.5 / +10.1 (26.7% / -20.1%)
  • MLB Avg: 11.9

Some of our guys are actually hitting balls pretty hard this year, but their launch angles have decreased quite a bit YoY and that has resulted in a lot more ground-balls.  Eloy & Jose are real problems as they are guys with serious power who you’d like to see lofting the ball much more.  I’m not sure if this is from a lack of awareness of how launch angle works, a lack of game-planning against certain types of pitchers & pitches, or just a sample size issue (I’m sure this is part of it), but our offense will continue to have problems if what should be a power-oriented offense keeps hitting this many ground-balls.

Jesus with everyone down I would say sample size is less likely. This cannot continue.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Dallas Kong said:

That is absolutely correct.  When you don't use Collins...it is a self-fulfilling prophecy that he won't amount to anything useful.  What a waste EE has turned out to be.

3 hours ago, Dallas Kong said:

If this was any other year, Collins wouldn't be on the roster.  As it stands now we have 3 extra roster spots, plus a lack of any where to send him for real live play.