8-16 GT: Cardinals at Sox

One thing these negative comments in a few threads are proving: Greg is not longer even close to the most hyperbolous poster. Wish the Sox hitters would relax, take a few walks and hit like Eloy does when he gets hot. They have to be aware slow stuff is coming or stuff out of the zone in the dirt a lot.

4 hours ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Abreu batting cleanup again!  I guess when you’re 33 you never need a day off!

Looks like we’re going with the “easy out at cleanup” strategy again vs RHP. Has Ricky ever acknowledged that Abreu is a bad hitter against RHP? I guess RR sees the 3-4 spot as. lifetime achievement award. 

3 minutes ago, Jack Parkman said:

What I mean is that pitchers that rely on contact in the playoffs are hit or miss. They either pitch gems or get lit up like a Christmas tree. There is no in between.

Pitchers that miss bats are more steady in the playoffs. 

Kopech and or Cease hopefully develop into guys you can trust in the playoffs. Keuchel can get them there and hopefully go 2 turns through a lineup in the playoffs. If the Sox wanted someone they could just turn loose in the playoffs Gerrit Cole was their only option. Keuchel is perfectly solid for what the Sox are paying him to be.

• Like 1

Just now, Hollywood_AU said:

Looks like we’re going with the “easy out at cleanup” strategy again vs RHP. Has Ricky ever acknowledged that Abreu is a bad hitter against RHP? I guess RR sees the 3-4 spot as. lifetime achievement award. 

Don’t expect that to change anytime soon either

3 minutes ago, soxfan49 said:

Your theory sucks. He's been a fine postseason pitcher in his career. 

The point is, there's a belief that teams that enjoy success in a long regular season but don't have dominant TOR shutdown starters (see 2015 Mets, who lost, btw) can't win in the playoffs or World Series.

Keuchel has nothing to do with this.

On the 2014-15 Royals, arguably he would have been the #1 starter.     And they still would have almost won 2 World Series titles with him in that spot.

Example #2, the Dodgers over the last decade, at least since 2013...great pitching, aces, no titles.

Edited by caulfield12

1 minute ago, caulfield12 said:

The point is, there's a belief that teams that enjoy success in a long regular season but don't have dominant shutdown starters (see 2015 Mets, who lost, btw) can't win in the playoffs or World Series.

Keuchel has nothing to do with this.

On the 2014-15 Royals, arguably he would have been the #1 starter.     And they still would have almost won 2 World Series titles with him in that spot.

Huh? That wasn't his point at all. His point was pitchers that throw to contact are either great or bad in October. 

If you look at playoff history guys mediocre starters with swing and miss stuff generally perform better in the postseason than starters who pitch to contact. 

What it tells you is that contact pitchers are bumslayers. 

Edited by Jack Parkman

Just now, soxfan49 said:

Huh? That wasn't his point at all. His point was pitchers that throw to contact are either great or bad in October. 

What kind of a point is that?

The point should be that if you have a great infield defense behind you, it's perfectly acceptable to keep the ball on the ground and limit pitch counts by not being a high strikeout pitcher in the post-season.

1 minute ago, caulfield12 said:

What kind of a point is that?

The point should be that if you have a great infield defense behind you, it's perfectly acceptable to keep the ball on the ground and limit pitch counts by not being a high strikeout pitcher in the post-season.

Ask him. Don't ask me what kind of point that is. I cannot even attempt to get into his head