Stone targets RR?

southsider2k5

7 hours ago, southsider2k5 said:

In terms of pi Ricky is mince meat.  Ricky is a youth coach with a case full of participation trophies under his belt. I would not follow him to the promised land. 

Stone is a very knowledgeable baseball man . He knows pitching/hitting/ base running and more. Even if we wont give up his easy job as an announcer .... Does any one else feel he would be a very good manger ??? I do .... Vote here ...... Steve Stone for Manager !!! >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

58 minutes ago, aFrankSoxFan said:

Stone is a very knowledgeable baseball man . He knows pitching/hitting/ base running and more. Even if we wont give up his easy job as an announcer .... Does any one else feel he would be a very good manger ??? I do .... Vote here ...... Steve Stone for Manager !!! >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

I think Steve Stone has made it very clear that he doesn't have the temperament to be a manager. 

As much as I crap on the White Sox, I can’t see them letting these “window years” waste with Renteria. Ozzie and even GARFEIN have been blunt with questioning Ricky. Now this from stone. The Sox are not an organization that allows those types of comments or criticisms unless there may be a change soon. Also, fans are clamoring for it. All over Twitter. Anything Sox related it’s Fire Ricky.

• Like 1

Steve Stone is 73. He is one of the best at what he does. The guy will call a night game then call into Milly and Haugh on 670 for an interview, then talk on every other show throughout the day. The guy clearly loves what he does. He's not going to manage or be in a front office. 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Dick Allen said:

He does like to be snarky, so I am sure if he doesn’t want to admit he isn’t a fan of Renterias managing, and he has questioned bunts especially many times, he can always fall back on the question was too stupid to answer.

The White Sox don’t believe in spending money on managers, so when he is replaced, it won’t be by a big name.

Fortunately for the sox trend is against big name managers.

I could see sox zigging there though and prioritizing "experience" and getting another manager that goes by his GUT.

11 hours ago, Green Line said:

The White Sox don't fire managers.  Its what they (dont) do, even when their managers quit on the team.  I especially cannot see it happening in the middle of a shortened season where the team is .500.  Would love to be wrong about that!

A Ricky "promotion" is the only way for this to happen.

I was fully in the give him a chance with a decent team train. He has one. It has holes. We have injuries. I get that.

But he makes stupid line-ups and does not use the BP well. Those 2 things are not related to injuries or its holes. It's him. I am now on board that he needs to go.

Its not a Sox thing to fire a manager but it would be refreshing so bring in Jirschele. I want to see what a progressive manager can do.

Edited by Capital G
  • Like 2

6 minutes ago, Squirmin' for Yermin said:

What did Abreu say?

He kind of downplayed the effect of Keuchel's comments. It came off as weird to me. Almost like it bothered Abreu that Keuchel stepped up like that.

https://www.nbcsports.com/chicago/white-sox/jose-abreu-dallas-keuchels-words-or-not-white-sox-would-have-played-better

While I 100% agree Renteria needed to be launched a long time ago, I don't put this entire pathetic start to the season all on him.    #1 on my list is guys just need to hit as they were suppose to.   Even the pitching issues would be covered if this team would just out-slugg people on most nights. 

Here's the thing, we have a Hispanic manager.

We have the biggest contingent of star or near star-level Cuban/Hispanic/Latino players of any team in the known universe.

There's always going to be cliques, and it's not always white vs. Hispanic vs. African-American vs. Asian, but it's not unusual, either.

Every clubhouse, from majors to minors....has divisions.   We just happen to have more than most to resolve, culturally.

In the minors, maybe it's the resentment from a 9th rounder towards a "bonus baby" with a $1+ million hypercar.   In the end, someone has to bridge the gap between the two factions.

Past White Sox teams, it was always Buehrle and Juan Uribe that got along so well together and had great senses of shared humor.

Ozzie, famously, created most of the controversies and created an "us vs. them" mindset with everyone united against outsiders, the press/reporters, the Cubs, all the alleged snubs and swipes towards the stepsister to the Cubs with the inferiority complex.   KW always played this up, the Raiders/football mentality, mixed up with David vs. Goliath.   We have so many huge (or soon to be) stars on this team, pretty soon we will be the hunted, and not the hunters.  We have to learn to live with the attention, and channel/focus it in positive ways instead of allowing it to tear the clubhouse and staff apart.

Edited by caulfield12
  • Like 1

Stone on the Score right now not pulling punches again.  Love it.  Bernstein asked about Grandal and his struggles attributed to not having better video access (according to Grandal), Stone not buying the BS.   Points out sarcastically what video access do  Blackmon and Trout have?  

14 minutes ago, Vulture said:

Pretty sure Anderson missed the hit and run sign there.

I doubt it, wasn't there a runner on 3rd? I don't have a problem with sending a runner. MLB has become more like Little League in recent years, they hardly ever throw to 2nd with a runner on 3rd. It's almost automatic you steal it.

Sometimes I wonder if Stone is tiring of Benetti. The age difference, maybe Jason's constant joking is starting to bother him. When he mentions his friends on the telecast, it's usually guys a lot older than him, and he's in his 70s. I know they live in the same building, and I guess used to eat every meal together, but apparently that stopped a while ago. Maybe Steve is just saying, "F it, I am going vintage Harry Caray and calling it like I see it, and if I have to move on, so be it. "

What is interesting, is he is using a lot more of Hawk's views regarding hitting than ever before.

Edited by Dick Allen

8 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

Sometimes I wonder if Stone is tiring of Benetti. The age difference, maybe Jason's constant joking is starting to bother him. When he mentions his friends on the telecast, it's usually guys a lot older than him, and he's in his 70s. I know they live in the same building, and I guess used to eat every meal together, but apparently that stopped a while ago. Maybe Steve is just saying, "F it, I am going vintage Harry Caray and calling it like I see it, and if I have to move on, so be it. "

What is interesting, is he is using a lot more of Hawk's views regarding hitting than ever before.

I loathe Jason but I don't hear much animosity on the broadcast between him and Stone.  In fact I think Stone admires Jason, which whatever Jason has had an impressive start to his broadcasting career.

I do agree that Stone probably sees retirement coming up in a few years and is shooting from the hip a bit more.

1 minute ago, Bad Hombre said:

There is absolutely no chance a hit & run was called in a 1st & 3rd situation. Even Ricky isn’t that dumb.  I’m willing to bet Mendick misread a sign and thought it was a double steal. 

Is it possible Renteria called his favorite -- the suicide squeeze?  TA just missed it.  I like the squeeze but Renteria uses it way too damn often early in games.

6 minutes ago, chitownsportsfan said:

Is it possible Renteria called his favorite -- the suicide squeeze?  TA just missed it.  I like the squeeze but Renteria uses it way too damn often early in games.

I don’t think so otherwise Mazara would have been off to the races with the pitch.

• Like 1