Mendick vs Madrigal

Harold's Leg Lift

I'm happy with Mendick's production as an IF super sub. Lets be real though, Madrigal will always be a better at making contact and hitting for average. 

He is SUPPOSEDLY a better fielder. That remains to be seen, but I'd assume he is slightly better. I feel his range would be limited given his size and his average spees

8 minutes ago, Yearnin' for Yermin said:

He is SUPPOSEDLY a better fielder. That remains to be seen, but I'd assume he is slightly better. I feel his range would be limited given his size and his average spees

Watch both of them turn a double play. Madrigal is quicker on his feet and more precise with his throws. Mendick is like watching a snail. Then add Leury at the time playing SS.. no wonder the Sox had trouble turning double plays at that time.

4 minutes ago, Yearnin' for Yermin said:

I'm happy with Mendick's production as an IF super sub. Lets be real though, Madrigal will always be a better at making contact and hitting for average. 

There is no reason to have talent evaluators if they can't identify the most talented players.  Defense and speed are valuable assets and are more dependable than some other tools like power.  At least for me...Madrigal doesn't have me talking to myself like the EE's of this game.  Mendick has done very well and I am happy with his production as well.  Day in and day out, however...Madrigal will help us win more ballgames IMO.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, ptatc said:

I'm impressed you can determine this after 83 at bats for Mendick and 17 at bats for Madrigal.

This. I'm assuming this thread is purposely hyperbolic. Madrigal was tearing up AA and AAA hitting while being 22. Mendick was getting spanked by A+ pitching at that age. 

Just now, Yearnin' for Yermin said:

This. I'm assuming this thread is purposely hyperbolic. Madrigal was tearing up AA and AAA hitting while being 22. Mendick was getting spanked by A+ pitching at that age. 

The Madrigal doubters are serious.

I think the Mendick love is based on him going up to the plate with an approach. Look away, hit it that way. Try not to swing at pitches outside the zone. Nice and simple.

Normally that wouldn’t be that big a deal, but so far in the 2020 season he is the only Sox hitter that owns a consistent approach. 

• Like 3

14 hours ago, HaroldSouthside said:

I think the Mendick love is based on him going up to the plate with an approach. Look away, hit it that way. Try not to swing at pitches outside the zone. Nice and simple.

Normally that wouldn’t be that big a deal, but so far in the 2020 season he is the only Sox hitter that owns a consistent approach. 

It's easy to do this when you aren't pressured to drive runs in and swing for power. I like what he's done thus far, but context is important to consider. 

5 minutes ago, SonofaRoache said:

It's easy to do this when you aren't pressured to drive runs in and swing for power. I like what he's done thus far, but context is important to consider. 

Yep, I agree.

He is limited with that approach, but a lot less frustrating to watch compared to most/ all of his teammates. At least right now. 

He is going to start to see a steady diet of inside fastballs. I’m wondering if he can start to turn on a few of those. Doubtful. But it would be awesome if he can. 

I'm thinking about starting a new topic - Yermin v. Moncada -- not much of a difference if you ask me. 

Sometimes when I'm at Sox games I'll hear people talk a few rows back about topics like this and I go ... where do these people come from? the answer I guess is SoxTalk.com

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

37 minutes ago, Harold's Leg Lift said:

Madrigal makes more contact but Mendick makes more quality contact.  Running and defense is a wash.  

Mendick most definitely is a lot slower than madrigal. Nick isn't a burner but mendick is a below average runner 

Longenhagen gave him a 45 and sprint speed confirmed that at a below average 26.9 which is slower than eloy (27.7) and only a bit faster than Jose (26.6).

Mendick is very slow for a middle infielder.

1 hour ago, Dominikk85 said:

Mendick most definitely is a lot slower than madrigal. Nick isn't a burner but mendick is a below average runner 

Longenhagen gave him a 45 and sprint speed confirmed that at a below average 26.9 which is slower than eloy (27.7) and only a bit faster than Jose (26.6).

Mendick is very slow for a middle infielder.

To be fair, Eloy is an above-average runner and Abreu is around average, contrary to popular belief. But I agree that Mendick's speed is not good for a MI

If you really think Mendick is as good or better than Madrigal, look at the bright side, you obviously feel 2B is solved, and with a better player than the Sox were hoping manned it for the next 10 years. Some on this board are crazy and putting way too much is extremely small sample sizes. It would be about April 15th, if that,  had the season started on time.

Edited by Dick Allen