Sox call up Luis Gonzalez

soxfan49

2 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

Yeah, I mean its gotta be Cuthbert.  He serves no purpose, and 40 man is full, so need to DFA someone.  Cuthburt seems like the easy choice.  

And he's already made it through waivers before, they can be pretty sure he will make it again if they want to keep him around.

Excited for Luis, but not exactly sure what purpose he serves.  OPS'd .675 in AA last year.  I know he plays nice defense and we're a little thin there I guess, but just don't really see when he's going to play.  Not that Cuthbert serves a purpose either.  

2 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

Excited for Luis, but not exactly sure what purpose he serves.  OPS'd .675 in AA last year.  I know he plays nice defense and we're a little thin there I guess, but just don't really see when he's going to play.  Not that Cuthbert serves a purpose either.  

He got off to a horrid start and turned it around at the middle to back end of 2019. Check out his monthly splits, he was at or over .700 for the final 3 months.

1 minute ago, CWSpalehoseCWS said:

He got off to a horrid start and turned it around at the middle to back end of 2019. Check out his monthly splits, he was at or over .700 for the final 3 months.

Not to mention, league average OPS in the Southern League was .683. You obviously want a real prospect to be well above that, but given that he profiles as a defense-first guy with some on-base skills, he's at least worth a look

• Like 2

1 minute ago, ChiSox59 said:

Nor Collins to this point. I kind of think if you're going to play Collins so sparingly that the Sox would be better off with Mercedes.

Yermin seems like the ideal pinch hitter type even against righties. He gets his hacks but isnt a huge swing and miss guy and has a mature approach.

7 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

Yeah, I mean its gotta be Cuthbert.  He serves no purpose, and 40 man is full, so need to DFA someone.  Cuthburt seems like the easy choice.  

My guess is he was called up because of Moncada being dicey in terms of health and it gives them an extra IF just in case.

1 minute ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

Nor Collins to this point. I kind of think if you're going to play Collins so sparingly that the Sox would be better off with Mercedes.

Yermin seems like the ideal pinch hitter type even against righties. He gets his hacks but isnt a huge swing and miss guy and has a mature approach.

I dont necessarily disagree, I just think the Sox want to keep 3 catchers so they can regularly get Grandal and McCann in the lineup together, and they don't view Mercedes as anything more than an emergency catcher. 

But yeah - I'd rather have Mercedes batting than Collins at this point.  But I also don't think getting a handful of at bats a week has really been a fair representation of what Collins can do.  Tough to get going like that.  Feel for him a bit.  

Just now, ChiSox59 said:

I dont necessarily disagree, I just think the Sox want to keep 3 catchers so they can regularly get Grandal and McCann in the lineup together, and they don't view Mercedes as anything more than an emergency catcher. 

But yeah - I'd rather have Mercedes batting than Collins at this point.  But I also don't think getting a handful of at bats a week has really been a fair representation of what Collins can do.  Tough to get going like that.  Feel for him a bit.  

Yermin couldn't hit an off-speed pitch in camp to save his life. Also doesn't have nearly as good AB's as Collins.

As much as i shill for Yermin, you gotta give Collins a chance first. This team desperately needs another lefty bat. Having a high OBP, lefty bat at 1B/DH/C would be great. I'm not convinced Yermin can even be a backup catcher. The guy is a DH/1B.

Edited by Yearnin' for Yermin
  • Like 2

5 minutes ago, Yearnin' for Yermin said:

As much as i shill for Yermin, you gotta give Collins a chance first. This team desperately needs another lefty bat. Having a high OBP, lefty bat at 1B/DH/C would be great. I'm not convinced Yermin can even be a backup catcher. The guy is a DH/1B.

Completely agree - but how much of a chance is 15 PA across 22 games?  Not that I am really advocating for Collins playing more than he has, but I just don't think a guy like him can really get it going without somewhat regular at bats.  

1 minute ago, ChiSox59 said:

Completely agree - but how much of a chance is 15 PA across 22 games?  Not that I am really advocating for Collins playing more than he has, but I just don't think a guy like him can really get it going without somewhat regular at bats.  

Really is a shame we had to sit through AJ Reed last year after Alonso was released instead of giving either guy all the at bats. It was the perfect opportunity.

Edited by soxfan2014

Just now, soxfan2014 said:

Really is a shame we had to sit through AJ Reed last year after Alonso was released instead of giving either guy all the at bats.

Can also add  Castillo, Yolmer and Goins to that list as well.  More stupid decisions by Renteria.  

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

Yermin couldn't hit an off-speed pitch in camp to save his life. Also doesn't have nearly as good AB's as Collins.

So those ridiculously good stats he put up in spring training were all against fastballs or are you saying he couldn't hit an off speed pitch in summer camp against Sox pitchers ?

16 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

23 minutes ago, Yearnin' for Yermin said:

That's my point . They are treating Collins like an emergency catcber now so even if he is LH and can draw some walks he still is 0-fer this season. If you are going to PH someone a walk is all well and good but you also want a guy with just as much power and a guy who can go the opposite way and get a big hit. It's not fair to Collins  at all nor am I basing this on anything  very concrete, just his performance in AAA and the team leading 4 HRs , .955 SlG and 1.371 OPS in ST.

1 hour ago, Dick Allen said:

If someone isn't hurt or sick, or didn't pull a Plesac, I would think it would be Cuthbert going or a reliever. Cuthbert was probably up because they didn't know how Moncada's legs would respond, and he looks OK.

what's wrong with his legs?