8-17 GT: Tigers at Sox

• Replies 625
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

I honestly don't understand why it has become a story that a CF'er is calling off his LF and RF for balls he can get to. That is the first thing you teach any young CF'er, if you can get there, you got it. 

The Sox comedy act with it is gold, but I don't get the announcers fixation with it. It's routine outfield work.

1 minute ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

I honestly don't understand why it has become a story that a CF'er is calling off his LF and RF for balls he can get to. That is the first thing you teach any young CF'er, if you can get there, you got it. 

The Sox comedy act with it is gold, but I don't get the announcers fixation with it. It's routine outfield work.

A normal outfielder isn’t going to cover the distance to field something hit to the  left fielder’s starting position. Most center fielders are going to realize it’s the LF ball and not go that hard

Just now, MackowiakYakYak said:

A normal outfielder isn’t going to cover the distance to field something hit to the  left fielder’s starting position. Most center fielders are going to realize it’s the LF ball and not go that hard

I don't believe this is true; when you watch Kiermeir, Buxton, or any other great CF'er. They are going to cover the ground to get to any ball they can. You break off the bat before you even think about it, and you accelerate to the ball. Could he stop? I guess, but that's just not in the nature of a center fielder. If you can get there, you get there. We'll see the PO totals at years end in those two zones, but I don't think he'll have any higher catch rate there than other elite CF'ers.

I don't believe this is true; when you watch Kiermeir, Buxton, or any other great CF'er. They are going to cover the ground to get to any ball they can. You break off the bat before you even think about it, and you accelerate to the ball. Could he stop? I guess, but that's just not in the nature of a center fielder. If you can get there, you get there. We'll see the PO totals at years end in those two zones, but I don't think he'll have any higher catch rate there than other elite CF'ers.

haha after re watching this play a few times, he is already shading towards left but he does get all the way in front of where Eloy lined up so it's rather hilarious and maybe slightly egregious, but on the other plays this year he's just caught balls he should.

1 minute ago, smellysox said:

One of the things that may get overlooked with all the homeruns tonight is how the bullpen is really coming together. Heuer picks up his first career win! Congrats Cody.

That bullpen if you pretend Colome isn't going to implode any second now is awesome. Burdi is the elite arm they thought he was; so crazy how he bounced back out of nowhere. Heuer has come together really nicely, Marshall is somehow a new man. 

• Like 1

I know that we don't want to make Eloy a full time DH at such a young age, but isn't that basically what he is with Robert in CF?  Could just put an Eloy cardboard cutout out there with that priceless annoyed look on his face. :cool:

Just now, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

That bullpen if you pretend Colome isn't going to implode any second now is awesome. Burdi is the elite arm they thought he was; so crazy how he bounced back out of nowhere. Heuer has come together really nicely, Marshall is somehow a new man. 

Right! And Foster has like 15 k's. Filthy.

Burdi is the elite arm - but you can see his mechanics are still a bit shaky, so I expect him to have some head-scratching performances as well.  Stuff is elite though and with time those mechanics and his command will get sharper and sharper (if he stays healthy).  

7 minutes ago, aFrankSoxFan said:

I think the rule is...you Must pitch 5 ? innings to get the win ? Im not sure exactly how to explain it to my son . So Heuer gets the win .... Why?.....

Score keeper's discretion if the starter doesn't go 5 and leaves with the lead.

1 minute ago, aFrankSoxFan said:

Can you explain why.........

Good question.  Gio did not get the win because he was 1 out shy of qualifying. A starter needs to go 5 innings. So that part you are right. Cishek came in and relieved him. Cishek got the out. Heuer pitched the next inning.  All 3 pitchers always had the lead. But only 2 were eligible for the win. The score keeper went with Heuer. His discretion. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, smellysox said:

Good question.  Gio did not get the win because he was 1 out shy of qualifying. A starter needs to go 5 innings. So that part you are right. Cishek came in and relieved him. Cishek got the out. Heuer pitched the next inning.  All 3 pitchers always had the lead. But only 2 were eligible for the win. The score keeper went with Heuer. His discretion. 

Thank you smellysox . You explained it well like a knowledgeable coach .

• Thanks 1

24 minutes ago, aFrankSoxFan said:

I think the rule is...you Must pitch 5 ? innings to get the win ? Im not sure exactly how to explain it to my son . So Heuer gets the win .... Why?.....

A starter has to pitch 5 innings to qualify for the win. If a starter doesn't go five, but leaves with the lead, it's really score keeper discretion on who is credited with the win. Typically it will go to the first guy to replace the starter who holds the lead, but the keeper gave it to the guy who pitched the first full inning after the starter instead.

Edited by Look at Ray Ray Run
  • Like 1