8-18 GT: Tigers at Sox

Alright boys, today represents the second of a four game series against Detroit.  The Sox enter today on a two game winning streak, while the Tigers are coming off six straight losses.  After hitting six bombs last night, momentum should no doubt be in our favor.

Today’s pitching matchup is a battle between two promising young starters.  For the Sox, we have Dylan Cease making his 19th career start.  For the Tigers, we have #34 overall prospect Tarik Skubal making his major league debut.  Despite excellent velocity & spin rate metrics, Cease has struggled to start the year due to poor fastball command and an inflated HR rate.  The talent is clearly there, but we really need to start seeing him locate his pitches better and get ahead in the count.  Meanwhile, Skubal is a lefty with a big fastball and a nasty slider.  Given our struggles against rookie pitchers in the past, this should be an interesting challenge today.  Will be good to have McCann in the lineup and hopefully Mazara on the bench.

Anyways, tonight should be a fun one!  Hopefully Cease can be on his game and we can make it three in a row!

Let’s fucking go boys!!!

• Haha 1

• bmags pinned this topic
26 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Alright boys, today represents the second of a four game series against Detroit.  The Sox enter today on a two game winning streak, while the Tigers are coming off six straight losses.  After hitting six bombs last night, momentum should no doubt be in our favor.

Today’s pitching matchup is a battle between two promising young starters.  For the Sox, we have Dylan Cease making his 19th career start.  For the Tigers, we have #34 overall prospect Tarik Skubal making his major league debut.  Despite excellent velocity & spin rate metrics, Cease has struggled to start the year due to poor fastball command and an inflated HR rate.  The talent is clearly there, but we really need to start seeing him locate his pitches better and get ahead in the count.  Meanwhile, Skubal is a lefty with a big fastball and a nasty slider.  Given our struggles against rookie pitchers in the past, this should be an interesting challenge today.  Will be good to have McCann in the lineup and hopefully Mazara on the bench.

Anyways, tonight should be a fun one!  Hopefully Cease can be on his game and we can make it three in a row!

Let’s fucking go boys!!!

Skubal is going to turn into Sale-lite.. He will be their ace ahead of Mize/Manning.

2 minutes ago, Perfect Vision said:

Luis Gonzalez, for a left handed hitter, has actually performed better against lefties than righties in his career.  Wonder if he gets the start tonight.

Hope so.  Anything but Mazara against the lefty.  Sure miss Leury right now.  Honestly, I'd rather have brought up Micker just to get the starts against LHP, but I know we need a real 4th OF and he ain't it.  Crazy how the Sox are thin at both IF and OF with a 28 man roster.  Leury makes a big difference in that regard.  

Tim Anderson is huge for this team, i am finally all in on him. He is becoming much less of a hack at anything hitter and actually has developed patience. Yeah his walk rate isnt the best but he swings and has good contact against pitches in the zone right now. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, reiks12 said:

Tim Anderson is huge for this team, i am finally all in on him. He is becoming much less of a hack at anything hitter and actually has developed patience. Yeah his walk rate isnt the best but he swings and has good contact against pitches in the zone right now. 

His plate coverage is incredible.  He's learned to look fastball and adjust to offspeed.  Right now he's Vlad up there.

4 minutes ago, YouCanPutItOnTheBoardYES! said:

I wonder if Skubal will be on a pitch limit tonight. If he is, hopefully the Sox hitters are patient and work the counts to knock him out early. Same goes for Mize when they face him tomorrow.

bruh.  this is the Sox, hopefully we batter him to death with a parade of HR again, cause this team ain't a bunch to walk and single a lot.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, chitownsportsfan said:

bruh.  this is the Sox, hopefully we batter him to death with a parade of HR again, cause this team ain't a bunch to walk and single a lot.

I'll settle just for hitting to the opposite field occasionally instead of pulling everything.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, fathom said:

Mazara playing and batting 8th

In a way, I feel bad for the guy. New team, was doing well in March, season on hold, gets Covid or Strep, works out with minor leaguers in suburban Chicago, and then he’s gotta come up and get it done now! Now, that’s part of the game, and the game can be cruel, but I feel under normal circumstances, he could have had a productive season. Now it’s looking like one and done in Chicago.

• Thanks 1