MLBExecBurner claims Sox "heavily evaluating pitching"...possible trade?

SoCalChiSox

MLBExecutiveBurner

@HotStoveintel

·

2h

With Joe Musgrove ineffective & now injured.. Multiple teams looking at #Pirates Trevor Williams. PItching market non existent. Hearing rumors on Eovaldi, would require moving money for BOS. #WhiteSox heavily evaluating pitching. Big question... Will Rangers shop Lance Lynn?

Given Hahn's comments on not targeting short term rentals and JR claiming financial losses....could it be that the Sox are now instead focusing on pitchers under control for several years with decent contracts, rather than FA signings in 2021?

Not sure what we have to offer that people don't really want to part with. There isn't exactly a ton of quality depth in the system.

I predict Jon Gray could be a target.  I feel like we've heard his name the past few years as a potential target.  Under contract for 2021 and having a "down" year. 

Also, the Dodgers have a million pitchers (doubt they trade anyone), but I want Gonsolin.

Edited by Squirmin' for Yermin

2 hours ago, SoCalChiSox said:

MLBExecutiveBurner

@HotStoveintel

·

2h

With Joe Musgrove ineffective & now injured.. Multiple teams looking at #Pirates Trevor Williams. PItching market non existent. Hearing rumors on Eovaldi, would require moving money for BOS. #WhiteSox heavily evaluating pitching. Big question... Will Rangers shop Lance Lynn?

Given Hahn's comments on not targeting short term rentals and JR claiming financial losses....could it be that the Sox are now instead focusing on pitchers under control for several years with decent contracts, rather than FA signings in 2021?

Not sure what we have to offer that people don't really want to part with. There isn't exactly a ton of quality depth in the system.

This should always be the case.

I'm sure every team in baseball would like to add quality SP's with multiple years of team control. The farm system depth isn't there to acquire one that isn't in reclamation project territory. Impending FA's on possible sellers like Guasman, Arrieta, DeSclafani, Minor, Ray etc would improve the Sox rotation without coming at a significant cost. I think upgrades like that make the most sense for this season.

The real question is will any potential starter acquired be better than Bauer or Stroman...and even for a cost perspective - Quintana? Getting a top 20 pitcher will be near impossible without giving up a young position starter or at least 2 major prospect pieces of - Vaughn, Kopech, Dunning or Stiever. Free Agency just seems smarter at this point. 

Edited by EloyJenkins
  • Like 1

I'd prefer we make due with what we have than deal prospects.  I think Cease will come around.  Gio and Keuchel are solid (usually).  Kopech back next season.  Carlos and Rey coming back soon.  Dunning we haven't seen yet.  There are other arms we could use, too.  Injuries suck and may screw us out of a few wins but I don't want to see us sacrifice top 5 prospects because we caught the injury bug in a shortened season.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Jack Parkman said:

Maybe they can make up for their rumored mistake last summer and trade Madrigal for Zac Gallen. 

If there's any truth to that rumor it's a big D'oh. 

That would be amazing though I highly, highly doubt we see that. D-Backs have Marte at 2B, and trading away their best starter for a light hitting 2B when they have an outside chance to get into the playoffs would be very questionable decision. They started the year terrible but have been on a run recently to put them back into playoff talks.

2 minutes ago, CWSpalehoseCWS said:

That would be amazing though I highly, highly doubt we see that. D-Backs have Marte at 2B, and trading away their best starter for a light hitting 2B when they have an outside chance to get into the playoffs would be very questionable decision. They started the year terrible but have been on a run recently to put them back into playoff talks.

It's wishful thinking at best now and delusion at worst.  I'm talking about the rumored Marlins deal before he got traded to AZ. 

There was a rumor that before trading Gallen to AZ the Marlins offered him to the Sox for Madrigal and they declined. Looks like a big D'oh right now. 

8 hours ago, Jack Parkman said:

Maybe they can make up for their rumored mistake last summer and trade Madrigal for Zac Gallen. 

If there's any truth to that rumor it's a big D'oh. 

It still boggles my mind that the Marlins traded him for a bag of recycled cans in Jazz Chisholm....

• Like 1