8-19 GT: Tigers @ Sox

Alright boys, today is the third game of four against the Tigers and the Sox have a chance to take the series with a win today.  The Sox have won three straight and have vaulted themselves to the 7th playoff spot, sitting 1.5 game behind the Indians for 2nd place in the Central.  With a series against a tough Cubs team this weekend, we can’t afford to take our feet off the neck of a weak Tigers’ club yet.  We need to keep beating up these bottom dwellers and building ourselves a little cushion.

Today’s pitching matchup should be a fascinating one.  Two well regarded pitching prospects are finally making their major league debuts.  For the Sox that would be Dane Dunning, a former top 100 prospect (before TJS) who was outstanding in the minors.  While he doesn’t have elite fastball velocity, his combination of pitchability, a diverse set of quality offerings, & a bulldog mentality creates a pitcher who is far greater than the sum of their individual parts.  IMO, he has a real chance of becoming a legit #3 starter in the majors.  As for the Tigers, they will be starting right-handed Casey Mize, the 1st overall pick of the 2018 draft and consensus top 20 overall prospect.  Mize is a kid with real “ace” upside, throwing four above average pitches and actually being able to command all of them.  His main weapon is a 70 grade splitter that Jim Callis once referred to as “one of the most devastating pitches in baseball”.  Let’s hope the Sox have done their homework on him, as I can see both his splitter & slider poising real challenges for us.

Again, today should be a fun one.  With Robert likely out, we should see Luis Gonzalez’ first major league start.  He had himself a memorable major league debut last night that included a missed catch, an outfield assist, a HBP, a mini base-running blunder, and a run scored.  Can he top himself tonight?  We shall see, but we could definitely use an unsung hero tonight against what could be a tough pitcher for our RH bats.

Let’s fucking go boys!!!!

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

He didn’t tag up when he could have.  Didn’t ultimately matter because he ended up scoring from second base anyways.

Ah, yes. Thanks. I was wondering why he was still at second base after the great at-bat my Mendick...but then I forgot about it.

6 minutes ago, Jack Parkman said:

I'm pretty sure Dunning is a sinkerballer. He did say that he's throwing his 4 seamer more though, so who knows? 

If you asked me in 2019 if I would have ever said "Man, I wish we could put Engel out there" I would have called you crazy lol

Edited by Capital G
  • Haha 1

Gonna look like a sunday line-up out there today.  My guess at Ricky's mess:

Anderson SS, Goins 3B, Abreu 1B, Eloy LF, Mazara RF, EE DH, Collins C, Mendick 2B, Gonzalez CF

Edited by ChiSox59

1 minute ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

That would be ugly . Moncada has to play and hoping for Grandal too somewhere in the lineup.

Honestly, Moncada's lowerbody looks like it could use a day after yesterday.  Grandal won't be back until Friday at the earliest, IMO.  

Edited by ChiSox59

18 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

Honestly, Moncada's lowerbody looks like it could use a day after yesterday.  Grandal won't be back until Friday at the earliest, IMO.  

If Robert is out you can't sit Moncada too unless he is actually hurting. I know he pulled up late in the game but I always thought Moncada overreacts with little injuries, I am sure he is fine 

• Like 1

• Kyyle23 locked and unpinned this topic