8-19 GT: Tigers @ Sox

13 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

If you think he got a little too amped up after that liner and wasn’t tiring out, I’d let him start the 5th and give him a chance for the win.  Would probably take him out with a walk or any hard contact.

Just so I’m not accused of using hindsight, but no idea why they kept him after that walk.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, TheFutureIsNear said:

Steve Stone is saying it a full inning ago and it was plain to see...Dunning was tired and shouldn’t have even gone out for that inning. Bad coaching. No idea how they didn’t see it 

Im ok with him going out to start the inning.  But he shouldve been pulled after the first guy reached base

1 minute ago, fathom said:

No way you let him face the top of the order for a third time. That was a perfect example of a manager trying to get a player the win and not the team

a part of PD is giving a guy a chance to get there. i know you don't think so, and you think every MLB decision is made solely about winning every single match-up and batter but it's just not true.

i also think a part of PD is getting a guy out of there feeling good abotu himself too, so this was a two way street. I can see both sides of this one.

Edited by Look at Ray Ray Run

Just now, ChiSox1917 said:

Im ok with him going out to start the inning.  But he shouldve been pulled after the first guy reached base

Don’t forget this is a guy coming off TJS that has probably not gone more than 3-4 simulated innings.

• Like 2

Just now, soulfly said:

Stone, "It's about time" as they come back from commercial.  God I hope he has the ear of someone in the FO to get rid of this utterly shitty manager we have to witness day in and day out.

Honestly they should just make stone the manager the rest of the year.  

• Like 1

1 minute ago, soxfan49 said:

Stone kept pounding the table for "Dunning is getting tired" and again it felt like it was not only obvious but it felt like it was taking shots at Renteria for not seeing it

Here's the dilemma though. How do you increase his stamina and pitch count without pushing him into fatigue. If they continue to take him out when he starts to get tired, they'll never increase the endurance. 

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, fathom said:

No way you let him face the top of the order for a third time. That was a perfect example of a manager trying to get a player the win and not the team

Short sighted for the good of the team and short sighted for Dunning’s well being really. He didn’t need to be laboring through a strenuous inning his 1st start back in well over a year. 

Just now, ptatc said:

Here's the dilemma though. How do you increase his stamina and pitch count without pushing him into fatigue. If they continue to take him out when he starts to get tired, they'll never increase the endurance. 

yeah, and how do you get him used to a 3rd time thru, or see how his stuff plays a third time thru with some fatigue without trying it. 

People on here make decisions based on maximizing every run and win; it's just not how managers or teams manage games.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, fathom said:

Exactly - especially in a 60 game season.

But an outstanding effort by Dunning.

4 minutes ago, mqr said:

I’m totally fine with seeing if the kid could get it back. 

Just coming out to start the 5th was seeing if he could get it back (and I'm fine with that part too).

He proceeded to give up a hit, a 104MPH screamer that should have been a hit, and then a walk.

RR hung him out to dry

• Like 1

• Kyyle23 locked and unpinned this topic