8-19 GT: Tigers @ Sox

29 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

Gonna look like a sunday line-up out there today.  My guess at Ricky's mess:

Anderson SS, Goins 3B, Abreu 1B, Eloy LF, Mazara RF, EE DH, Collins C, Mendick 2B, Gonzalez CF

If Robert and Grandal are out then we need to start Moncada and McCann. Tomorrow when Robert and Grandal are back, we can rest Moncada. 

46 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

Gonna look like a sunday line-up out there today.  My guess at Ricky's mess:

Anderson SS, Goins 3B, Abreu 1B, Eloy LF, Mazara RF, EE DH, Collins C, Mendick 2B, Gonzalez CF

If those guys all start I'd move TA to the middle of the lineup and lead off Mendick. Goins at the bottom. Maybe even bat Mazara 5 and Collins 6 to max out the lefties against Mize.

Tigers also put a few LH relievers in the game yesterday so when Mize comes out we may see a few RH relievers.

This is just fun speculation if all those scrubs end up in the lineup .

1 hour ago, DirtySox said:

@Harold's Leg Lift What's your take on Dunning? He seems like a Harold guy.

Hahaha he sure is.  I LOVED him in college. He was part of an absolutely stacked Florida staff so they used him as a reliever but he always showed starter qualities.  When the trade was made I thought he would be the best pitcher of the bunch.  I'm told his stuff isn't quite back to his pre-injury level so I'm tempering my expectations a little but this is about as excited as I can get for a game.  

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, YouCanPutItOnTheBoardYES! said:

I wonder if Collins will catch tonight. One because he probably has more familiarity with Dunning than McCann does, and two, tomorrow is a day game and Giolito is pitching.

Not sure I buy that as Dunning didn't pitch last year and there hasn't really been game action for Collins to catch Dunning (besides spring training and summer camp if they even worked together).

4 minutes ago, soxfan2014 said:

Not sure I buy that as Dunning didn't pitch last year and there hasn't really been game action for Collins to catch Dunning (besides spring training and summer camp if they even worked together).

Dunning started 11 games in AA in 2018. Collins played 122 games in AA in 2018. I’m guessing they probably worked together at least a few times, even though it was a long time ago at this point.

26 minutes ago, Harold's Leg Lift said:

Hahaha he sure is.  I LOVED him in college. He was part of an absolutely stacked Florida staff so they used him as a reliever but he always showed starter qualities.  When the trade was made I thought he would be the best pitcher of the bunch.  I'm told his stuff isn't quite back to his pre-injury level so I'm tempering my expectations a little but this is about as excited as I can get for a game.  

I too thought Dunning was going to become the best of the bunch and become a solid #3 in the MLB.  This was before Giolito figured it out hahah.  But yes, I also always loved him.  Pre injury he was rated #59 on MLB prospects, so he definitely was recognized at one point in time!

1 hour ago, Harold's Leg Lift said:

Me too

1 minute ago, SouthWallace said:

Is there any reason McCann can't catch tonight?  Why is Collins suddenly being suggested?

Day game tomorrow with Giolito. Renteria usually doesn't have the same catcher for a day game after a night game. So if Collins needs to catch one, let McCann catch giolito tomorrow.

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, ptatc said:

Day game tomorrow with Giolito. Renteria usually doesn't have the same catcher for a day game after a night game. So if Collins needs to catch one, let McCann catch giolito tomorrow.

Shit, right.  Stupid day game.  Get well soon Grandal...

Collins is not a plus defensive catcher but I don't get where everyone got the idea that you can't even put him back there. I've watched every inning of him behind the plate in MLB (plus a bunch of AAA games) and I don't see how he's unplayable. Not sure about his game calling but his framing and overall skills back there aren't much of a drop-off from McCann

• Haha 1
  • Love 1

1 hour ago, soxfan2014 said:

Collins has caught Dunning many times.  They were together in Winston-Salem in 2017 and Birmingham in 2018.

55 minutes ago, SouthWallace said:

Is there any reason McCann can't catch tonight?  Why is Collins suddenly being suggested?

I forgot that Thursday is a day game, which then by all means McCann should catch Gio tomorrow and not start tonight.

• Kyyle23 locked and unpinned this topic