Dunning Recalled, Engel Activated, Cuthbert DFA and Ruiz Optioned

ChiSox59

34 minutes ago, bmags said:

why?

There's no point in having him in Schaumburg, he's not going to contribute. He was active. We aren't getting an all star pitcher. I could absolutely see him as part of a package.

Maybe they want him to work with the coaches nowthat they think he is healthy and ready

7 minutes ago, Harold's Leg Lift said:

According to Statcast Dunning's curveball has below avg spin rates.  Damn that's too bad.  It looked pretty good to me but apparently it sucks.  Oh well. 

That’s surprising. I thought it looked good too. Definitely a small sample size for a guy coming off TJ. I’d bet it at least gets to around average once he gets for innings and brushes the rust off. I don’t recall ever seeing any reports that any of his pitches were below average.

Edited by CWSpalehoseCWS

31 minutes ago, CWSpalehoseCWS said:

That’s surprising. I thought it looked good too. Definitely a small sample size for a guy coming off TJ. I’d bet it at least gets to around average once he gets for innings and brushes the rust off. I don’t recall ever seeing any reports that any of his pitches were below average.

I mean, is spin rate the end all be all for breaking pitches? It had some great movement to the naked eye. He could also control it very well.

2 hours ago, CWSpalehoseCWS said:

Maybe it’s different for breaking balls and fastballs but I thought average spin rates were what you want to avoid? I thought you were supposed to prefer a high spin rate, then a low spin rate, and then average

https://theathletic.com/2012125/2020/08/21/law-scouting-notes-on-a-great-rookie-pitching-matchup/?source=dailyemail

Mize vs. Dunning scouting notes (KLaw)

Dunning was 91-94 mph and located it very well down and away to right-handers, and showed a plus changeup early with good tumble at 85-87 mph. He didn’t have much feeling for his breaking ball in the first inning, but it improved as he went along, and he started getting it down for chases — down and in to lefties, down and away to righties — until he started the third time through the order and left one up to Jeimer Candelario, who hit a three-run homer that ended Dunning’s day. Dunning was also really hurt by his defense; Zack Collins, a below-average receiver, was catching and had trouble with Dunning’s breaking stuff, while several fielders behind Dunning didn’t get to balls they probably should have. I thought Dunning could be a league-average starter before he got hurt, and after this — the first time I’ve seen him pitch in any form since the injury — I don’t see any reason to change that projection.

Why are his FB and change not the Hawk Harrelson “ideally 10-12 MPH of differential”?  Just curious.  Thought his FB velocity was supposedly closer to 93-95, touching 96...?

Edited by caulfield12