Trade deadline looming

GreatScott82

With the trade deadline being just 12 days away, how do you think Hahn will respond? I do like that Hahn doesn't want to sacrifice young trade chips for one year rentals, however looking at the outfield market in free agency, a trade may be the best option at bolstering the club. Do you think it's possible they look to improve the RF position long term this summer? Or will they wait until winter to improve the roster? 

5 minutes ago, GreatScott82 said:

With the trade deadline being just 12 days away, how do you think Hahn will respond? I do like that Hahn doesn't want to sacrifice young trade chips for one year rentals, however looking at the outfield market in free agency, a trade may be the best option at bolstering the club. Do you think it's possible they look to improve the RF position long term this summer? Or will they wait until winter to improve the roster? 

I think they'll try to make moves for controllable pieces, but they won't make moves for rentals. I think if there are any trades this year they're going to be old fashioned baseball trades where it's players of similar salary and age on the move. 

If anything happens, it will be something of young talent for young talent that might have happened over the winter anyway.  With all of the pitchers we drafted, could a Thompson or Dalquist head up a deal?  I could also see Vaughn being a piece that is dangled with the idea that Eloy is our DH in waiting.

4 minutes ago, beautox said:

Id prefer the sox focus on someone like Brandon Marsh from the Angels. They're stacked deep in the OF, I think both farms match up nicely. 

That'd be super awesome, but to me, those trades don't manifest :(. 

16 minutes ago, beautox said:

Id prefer the sox focus on someone like Brandon Marsh from the Angels. They're stacked deep in the OF, I think both farms match up nicely. 

Marsh would be perfect, LHH, good OBP, good defender. 

Problem is Angels GM needs the same thing we need, quality pitching so i don't see how a deal would work. 

And Eppler needs it now to save his job not prospects for the future. 

I dont see a good match here unless its a three team deal.

21 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

If you’re willing to take on money, I bet we could get something useful.

JR seems to be using alleged COVID related "losses" to back away from the FOs earlier commitment to spending during the window, so I doubt we will be taking on significant money. 

In fact I fully expect the FO to have to show JR dollar for dollar savings to justify any signings in 21. So EE, SC and GG will all have their options declined in order for us to get even one pitcher. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, southsider2k5 said:

If anything happens, it will be something of young talent for young talent that might have happened over the winter anyway.  With all of the pitchers we drafted, could a Thompson or Dalquist head up a deal?  I could also see Vaughn being a piece that is dangled with the idea that Eloy is our DH in waiting.

I'd like to illustrate how bad of an idea this is this year. So another team has a player, you can't see that guy but that team sees him every day, and suddenly they're willing to move said player in exchange for one of your prospects that they haven't seen this year? Hmmm, this might seem suspicious, from either side.

"Mr. Hahn, sure you could have those two pitchers, but you could trade it all for what's in this mystery box"

"The Box! The Box! I'll even throw in another Tatis, I want the box!"

1 minute ago, SoCalChiSox said:

JR seems to be using alleged COVID related "losses" to back away from the FOs earlier commitment to spending during the window, so I doubt we will be taking on significant money. 

In fact I fully expect the FO to have to show JR dollar for dollar savings to justify any signings in 21. So EE, SC and GG will all have their options declined in order for us to get even one pitcher. 

I’m not sure what to expect from Jerry at this point, but now and this off-season would be great times to absorb some contracts.  Hard to imagine that Grandal & Keuchel blew all our “unprecedented financial flexibility” but it does seem Jerry is crying poor to the media.

1 hour ago, beautox said:

Fangraphs has Marsh as the #35 prospect in baseball. What can the Sox trade to acquire someone like that? Kopech perhaps, but trading him right now seems like it might be difficult.

6 hours ago, southsider2k5 said:

been saying this for a little while, Vaughn wont play a single game for the sox, bookmark this 

2 hours ago, Chicago White Sox said:

What TOR starters are currently on teams that might be willing to sell?  It may sound crazy and I’m not sure it’s a good idea, but I could see Hahn using Kopech to land such a player (if one exists).

I was thinking he might use Kopech to get talent in the offseason...maybe from someone looking to shed a contract but I guess he could do that now.

7 hours ago, Yearnin' for Yermin said:

Dangling Vaughn is a garbage idea. 1st base prospects don't fetch great returns. Vaughn is going to be a special hitter. He will be a much needed high OBP bat for this team. 

Agree but I think the organization needs to have a plan for Eloy as well.  This season may be a good trial for where they see Eloy down the road. Will they continue to play him in LF, consider a move to IB or move him in a trade. That decision my impact Vaughn's future.

19 minutes ago, SCCWS said:

Agree but I think the organization needs to have a plan for Eloy as well.  This season may be a good trial for where they see Eloy down the road. Will they continue to play him in LF, consider a move to IB or move him in a trade. That decision my impact Vaughn's future.

It would affect Zack Collins before Vaughn.