8-21 GT: Sox @ Cubs (7:15pm)

7 minutes ago, fathom said:

So Keuchel has pitched well with McCann, McCann has killed LHP and Grandal has been bad vs LHP and struggled in his career off Lester?   It makes no sense, as Grandal should have been catching tomorrow and Sunday.

That's what I would've thought. 

Just now, soxfan2014 said:

Yoan has to be sore or something. Dude had what, 3 days in a row off last week (third game in the series, off day, and then PPD Cards game)?

There’s no question he’s not close to 100 pct. Hopefully this is a one day thing, as we really need him against RHP.

• Like 1

Just now, chitown87 said:

As someone else said a few minutes ago, maybe he really did hurt his wrist at the end of the game yesterday. Christ.

At least we called up Delmonico instead of finding another infielder, as Ricky could only rest Timmy in the 9th and not more.

12 minutes ago, fathom said:

So Keuchel has pitched well with McCann, McCann has killed LHP and Grandal has been bad vs LHP and struggled in his career off Lester?   It makes no sense, as Grandal should have been catching tomorrow and Sunday.

Ricky just can’t help himself. Simply brutal

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, fathom said:

Happy to see Robert back, but no reason Grandal is playing over McCann.  Can’t wait to hear about Yoan’s latest ailment.

Yasmani Grandal is a better player than James McCann is so there is plenty of reasons. McCann is awesome against lefties but Grandal is as well. Would you play McCann over Abreu or EE against LHP? That's basically what it would be. 

• Haha 2

8 minutes ago, fathom said:

Over/under 2.5 called strikes against Grandal off the plate against Lester tonight 

Hendricks and Darvish the next two games and he starts Grandal tonight. Also, Keuchel pitching who’s had a strong repertoire with McCann so far this season. I don’t understand what goes into some of these decisions. Truth is probably not much thought at all.

“Oh Grandal is healthy?!? Shoot let’s get him back in there!”

2 minutes ago, Y2Jimmy0 said:

Yasmani Grandal is a better player than James McCann is so there is plenty of reasons. McCann is awesome against lefties but Grandal is as well. Would you play McCann over Abreu or EE against LHP? That's basically what it would be. 

Grandal was good against LHP last year, but generally he struggled before 2019 against them. Dodgers used to play Barnes against LHP.  I would take McCann over Grandal vs LHP, no doubt in my mind.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, fathom said:

Grandal was good against LHP last year, but generally he struggled before 2019 against them. Dodgers used to play Barnes against LHP.  I would take McCann over Grandal vs LHP, no doubt in my mind.

And McCann was horrible against everyone before last season. We can do this all day. The White Sox aren't sitting one of the biggest signings in franchise history to play James McCann instead after said signing has been off for 3 days. They have 4 guys (Abreu, McCann, EE and Grandal) that are all good vs LHP. Someone has to sit. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Y2Jimmy0 said:

And McCann was horrible against everyone before last season. We can do this all day. The White Sox aren't sitting one of the biggest signings in franchise history to play James McCann instead after said signing has been off for 3 days. They have 4 guys (Abreu, McCann, EE and Grandal) that are all good vs LHP. Someone has to sit. 

So you’re playing Grandal three games in a row coming off back tightness? If you’re sitting him one game this series, why wouldn’t it be tonight? Cubs next two starters are righties and far worse matchups for McCann and better matchups for Grandal.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, JUSTgottaBELIEVE said:

So you’re playing Grandal three games in a row coming off back tightness? If you’re sitting him one game this series, why wouldn’t it be tonight? Cubs next two starters are righties and far worse matchups for McCann and better matchups for Grandal.

You can't catch him Saturday and Sunday due to the day/night anyway. I'd catch Grandal on Saturday, then McCann on Sunday with Grandal at DH (think he matches up better against Darvish than EE)

There are no fans but hopefully the rivalry pressure still gives the series a bit of a playoff vibe, we need practice in handling high-stakes games.

And by we I don't mean the players, I mean us, in the game thread. We melt down over random shit versus non-divisional opponents, how the hell are we ever going to handle the crucible of a playoff series? Gotta get our young posters some experience! 

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, YouCanPutItOnTheBoardYES! said:

I’m concerned about Moncada. Hopefully it’s just a rest day, but if that’s the case, why didn’t they rest him yesterday instead?

So many people on twitter saying this better not be a rest day. Ummmm...much rather a rest day than injury 

• Kyyle23 unpinned and locked this topic