2021 Free Agent Pitchers

shago

33 minutes ago, shago said:

When can we start talking about Trevor Bauer?

Maybe this is the cynic in me, but Bauer just screams of the free agent that will come here and have the wheels fall off. And once they do, his attitude and antics are going to poison the well. Indians knew it and moved on. He's killing it now, but I look at him as a huuuge risk, both in terms of continued performance and what he does in this clubhouse.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Chicago White Sox said:

They did offer Wheeler a fairly sizable contract.

Before the pandemic. And, before JR decided that b!tching about losing money while people lost their jobs or their lives was a good idea.

There isn't a snowballs chance in hell  that JR will spend to get Bauer, because the world OWES him a profit everyfvkcing year. Didnt you get the memo?

I think theres a better chance that JR tries to cut payroll thisb offseason than Bauer is signed here.

• Love 1

5 hours ago, Chicago White Sox said:

They did offer Wheeler a fairly sizable contract.

Bauer has been on record he'd be happy signing 1 year deals from here on out. Now, that might change with Covid and the whole landscape of everything right now, but he might be easier to get that we think. I could see Bauer being a problem with JR though. He seems like the exact type of player that would completely piss off the FO with his attitude and antics.

For me, Bauer needs to be 1A, with Stroman 1B (if Bauer goes elsewhere).

George Springer, Michael Brantley, Josh Reddick and Yuli Gurriel are free agents after this season.

• Verlander, Zack Greinke, Carlos Correa and Lance McCullers Jr. are free agents after 2021.

What if the Astros decide this just isn't going to be their year, factor in those players who may be leaving, factor in the stink hanging over the organization (which makes it more likely those players leave) and decide to make some moves? 

ESPN.com

5 hours ago, ptatc said:

Which one of Giolito, Keuchal, Kopech, Cease and Dunning doesn't get the chance to start next year?

They aren't even sure Dunning is physically ready to pitch half of a season yet.  I'm not saying he is or isn't, but he wasn't called up because they thought he was ready.  IMO he will possibly get the call next year if they dont sign a FA and Lopez cant figure it out, but they'll probably wait till at least July

Edit:  Forgot about Rodon.  yeah unless we trade away one of Lopez/Rodon I dont see Dunning getting many if any starts next year

Edited by joesaiditstrue

5 hours ago, Two-Gun Pete said:

Before the pandemic. And, before JR decided that b!tching about losing money while people lost their jobs or their lives was a good idea.

There isn't a snowballs chance in hell  that JR will spend to get Bauer, because the world OWES him a profit everyfvkcing year. Didnt you get the memo?

I think theres a better chance that JR tries to cut payroll thisb offseason than Bauer is signed here.

We have like $40M in expiring contracts and very few needs.  Even if Reinsdorf goes cheap, we should be able to address the rotation & RF.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, ptatc said:

Which one of Giolito, Keuchal, Kopech, Cease and Dunning doesn't get the chance to start next year?

They probably hold Kopech down for a month or so given he hasn’t pitched in a real game in like three years and if by then we have no injuries I view this as a good problem to have.  Teams like the Dodgers never worry about having too many good starters because shit can happen.

3 hours ago, CWSpalehoseCWS said:

Bauer has been on record he'd be happy signing 1 year deals from here on out. Now, that might change with Covid and the whole landscape of everything right now, but he might be easier to get that we think. I could see Bauer being a problem with JR though. He seems like the exact type of player that would completely piss off the FO with his attitude and antics.

For me, Bauer needs to be 1A, with Stroman 1B (if Bauer goes elsewhere).

Don’t get me wrong, I’m not optimistic we’ll be the team to land him, but when I look at our team needs, our payroll flexibility, and the fact (to your point) Bauer has expressed a willingness to do short-term deals I do think there’s a chance just like there was one with Wheeler.  I also think playing for the Sox in 2021 & forward will be very attractive because there is a great young core in place.  All that being said, Stroman would be a great backup plan given he’s a sinker-baller type pitcher who would play well in a HR heavy park and behind a strong infield defense.

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, joesaiditstrue said:

They aren't even sure Dunning is physically ready to pitch half of a season yet.  I'm not saying he is or isn't, but he wasn't called up because they thought he was ready.  IMO he will possibly get the call next year if they dont sign a FA and Lopez cant figure it out, but they'll probably wait till at least July

Edit:  Forgot about Rodon.  yeah unless we trade away one of Lopez/Rodon I dont see Dunning getting many if any starts next year

Unless Lopez has a strong run here, I think he gets moved to the bullpen next year.  As for Rodon, he’s shown zero ability to stay healthy as a starter and I think he either gets moved to the bullpen as well or simply gets non-tendered.  To me, I’d like to see if he can become a Pomeranz type weapon coming out the bullpen for two inning stints every few days.  Hell, I’d probably move him there this season whenever he’s healthy again since with Lopez back & Dunning waiting in the wings we now have six starters.

1 hour ago, joesaiditstrue said:

By the end of this season he'll be stretched out enough. However this discussion was about FA acquisitions for next year. My bet is Dunning will be solidly in the rotation and will surpass both Lopez and Rodon.

1 hour ago, Chicago White Sox said:

They probably hold Kopech down for a month or so given he hasn’t pitched in a real game in like three years and if by then we have no injuries I view this as a good problem to have.  Teams like the Dodgers never worry about having too many good starters because shit can happen.

This is true. However we all know the Sox will never spend like the Dodgers.  The Sox will have a good rotation going 6 deep with hopefully Stiever waiting in the wings as well. They will not be in the market for an expensive FA starter. It's not their history to sign one, which I agree with. I also dont think it will be the priority. I think RF will be. 

1 hour ago, ptatc said:

This is true. However we all know the Sox will never spend like the Dodgers.  The Sox will have a good rotation going 6 deep with hopefully Stiever waiting in the wings as well. They will not be in the market for an expensive FA starter. It's not their history to sign one, which I agree with. I also dont think it will be the priority. I think RF will be. 

We have nine players under contract next year for $82M.  That include six everyday regulars, one starter, one reliever, and a bench guy in Leary.  Vaughn, Madrigal, Cease, Dunning, & Kopech are all pre-arb and will likely cost around $3M.  For the bench, Collins & Mendick are both pre-arb so add another $1M.  Bullpen wise, Burdi, Heuer, Foster, & Cordero are pre-arb, so assuming of three of them make it let’s add another $2M.  So that’s 18 to 19 roster spots locked down for a total cost of ~$88M.  Giolito will probably get around $5M in arbitration, Marshall round $2M, Engel around $1.5M, Lopez around $3M, and Rodon (assuming we keep him over Fry for the bullpen) around $5M.  Add up everything and that’s basically 23 to 24 roster spots for a grand total of $105M.

There is no doubt in my mind that we should be able to support a $140M payroll next year short of any COVID related concerns.  For one, a league average payroll is around $130M right now and worst case scenario we should be considered an upper mid market team revenue wise.  Two, we’ve been at the $120M level in the past despite huge new national TV deals adding additional revenue. Third, we should have hopefully make the playoffs and see some financial benefit from that.  Fourth, we’ve rocked incredibly low payrolls for a multi-year stretch and should theoretically see that reinvested in the team.  Again, outside of COVID we should be able to do $140M in 2021.

If that’s the case, we have ~$35M to upgrade the rotation and RF.  With a strong possibility of us signing blue chip prospect Yoelkis Cespedes (or Oscar Colas), I don’t think we need an expensive long-term addition for RF.  If I were our GM, I’d immediately go to Joc Pederson and try to get him to sign a pillow contract (1/$15M) due to what will likely be a poor 2020 season, selling him on being part of an explosive offense next year in a great hitter’s park that should help pad his stats for what should be a better player’s market in 2022.  If I couldn’t convince Uncle Jerry to pony up for Bauer on a one year deal for like $30M (pushing us beyond a $140M payroll target), I’d simply go hard after Marcus Stroman and try to get him in the fold for something like 4/$80M.

Assuming those additions, we’d be looking at the following roster at a total cost of $140M:

1. Anderson, SS
  2. Moncada, 3B#
  3. Abreu, 1B/DH
  4. Jimenez, LF
  5. Grandal, C#
  6. Robert, CF
  7. Vaughn, DH/1B
  8. Pederson, RF*
  9. Madrigal, 2B
  • IF: Mendick
  • OF: Engel
  • UT: Garcia#
  • BC: Collins*
  1. Giolito
  2. Stroman
  3. Cease
  4. Keuchel*
  5. Dunning
  6. Kopech
  • CL: Burdi
  • SU: Bummer*
  • SU: Heuer
  • MR: Lopez
  • MR: Rodon*
  • MR: Foster
  • MR. Marshall
  • MR: Cordero

Print those 2021 playoff tickets now because that roster is fucking stacked!

• Like 1
  • Love 1

6 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

We have nine players under contract next year for $82M.  That include six everyday regulars, one starter, one reliever, and a bench guy in Leary.  Vaughn, Madrigal, Cease, Dunning, & Kopech are all pre-arb and will likely cost around $3M.  For the bench, Collins & Mendick are both pre-arb so add another $1M.  Bullpen wise, Burdi, Heuer, Foster, & Cordero are pre-arb, so assuming of three of them make it let’s add another $2M.  So that’s 18 to 19 roster spots locked down for a total cost of ~$88M.  Giolito will probably get around $5M in arbitration, Marshall round $2M, Engel around $1.5M, Lopez around $3M, and Rodon (assuming we keep him over Fry for the bullpen) around $5M.  Add up everything and that’s basically 23 to 24 roster spots for a grand total of $105M.

There is no doubt in my mind that we should be able to support a $140M payroll next year short of any COVID related concerns.  For one, a league average payroll is around $130M right now and worst case scenario we should be considered an upper mid market team revenue wise.  Two, we’ve been at the $120M level in the past despite huge new national TV deals adding additional revenue. Third, we should have hopefully make the playoffs and see some financial benefit from that.  Fourth, we’ve rocked incredibly low payrolls for a multi-year stretch and should theoretically see that reinvested in the team.  Again, outside of COVID we should be able to do $140M in 2021.

If that’s the case, we have ~$35M to upgrade the rotation and RF.  With a strong possibility of us signing blue chip prospect Yoelkis Cespedes (or Oscar Colas), I don’t think we need an expensive long-term addition for RF.  If I were our GM, I’d immediately go to Joc Pederson and try to get him to sign a pillow contract (1/$15M) due to what will likely be a poor 2020 season, selling him on being part of an explosive offense next year in a great hitter’s park that should help pad his stats for what should be a better player’s market in 2022.  If I couldn’t convince Uncle Jerry to pony up for Bauer on a one year deal for like $30M (pushing us beyond a $140M payroll target), I’d simply go hard after Marcus Stroman and try to get him in the fold for something like 4/$80M.

Assuming those additions, we’d be looking at the following roster at a total cost of $140M:

1. Anderson, SS
  2. Moncada, 3B#
  3. Abreu, 1B/DH
  4. Jimenez, LF
  5. Grandal, C#
  6. Robert, CF
  7. Vaughn, DH/1B
  8. Pederson, RF*
  9. Madrigal, 2B
  • IF: Mendick
  • OF: Engel
  • UT: Garcia#
  • BC: Collins*
  1. Giolito
  2. Stroman
  3. Cease
  4. Keuchel*
  5. Dunning
  6. Kopech
  • CL: Burdi
  • SU: Bummer*
  • SU: Heuer
  • MR: Lopez
  • MR: Rodon*
  • MR: Foster
  • MR. Marshall
  • MR: Cordero

Print those 2021 playoff tickets now because that roster is fucking stacked!

I hope we can do better than Joc Pederson in RF. He’s frankly really not much of an upgrade. 

3 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

I hope we can do better than Joc Pederson in RF. He’s frankly really not much of an upgrade. 

Gotta disagree with you.  He put up a wRC+ of ~127 over the 2018 & 2019 seasons and was worth nearly 6 fWAR.  I know he’s more or less useless against LHP, but given our roster construction I’m not sure why that’s a big deal.

What are you thinking then for RF then?  Outside of Springer, the market isn’t really loaded with OF talent and I don’t see us paying up for him.  Obviously there could be a lot of trade options though.  Be curious to hear your thoughts.

• Like 1