2021 Free Agent Pitchers

shago

6 hours ago, caulfield12 said:

George Springer, Michael Brantley, Josh Reddick and Yuli Gurriel are free agents after this season.

• Verlander, Zack Greinke, Carlos Correa and Lance McCullers Jr. are free agents after 2021.

What if the Astros decide this just isn't going to be their year, factor in those players who may be leaving, factor in the stink hanging over the organization (which makes it more likely those players leave) and decide to make some moves? 

ESPN.com

would love to see Brantley in RF

4 hours ago, Chicago White Sox said:

We have like $40M in expiring contracts and very few needs.  Even if Reinsdorf goes cheap, we should be able to address the rotation & RF.

I understand what you're posting.

But after we the taxpayers gave him a free stadium, and after his collision, and after his lockout, and after MLB's revenue-sharing schemes, and during a pandemic where people lost their jobs and their lives,

JR decided to b**** about losing money. For once out of decades where hes pretty much printed it. Think about that.

I hear your opinion, centered around "could," and "should."

My opinion is based upon decades of his behavior. YMMV.

If Reylo looks solid today, what about Dunning, ReyLo and a third piece for Clevinger? Honestly his teammates may not be open to him going back to team and he has two years left after this season of more expensive arbitration numbers. If Sox could somehow nab him without giving up Vaughn, this team is set for a really strong 3 year run and the future. Bauer or Stroman are the FA pieces you persue but Clevinger THIS season makes you contenders in this crazy landscape.

22 minutes ago, EloyJenkins said:

If Reylo looks solid today, what about Dunning, ReyLo and a third piece for Clevinger? Honestly his teammates may not be open to him going back to team and he has two years left after this season of more expensive arbitration numbers. If Sox could somehow nab him without giving up Vaughn, this team is set for a really strong 3 year run and the future. Bauer or Stroman are the FA pieces you persue but Clevinger THIS season makes you contenders in this crazy landscape.

One start from ReyLo won't wipe away how awful he's been.

That trade doesn't have a chance in hell, unfortunately. As much as I'd love to have Cleve dog on the team. 

8 minutes ago, iWiN4PreP said:

One start from ReyLo won't wipe away how awful he's been.

That trade doesn't have a chance in hell, unfortunately. As much as I'd love to have Cleve dog on the team. 

Yeah, it would all depend on the third piece. Stiever, Vaughn or Thompson would have to be included...but rather not trade Vaughn. 

3 hours ago, Two-Gun Pete said:

I understand what you're posting.

But after we the taxpayers gave him a free stadium, and after his collision, and after his lockout, and after MLB's revenue-sharing schemes, and during a pandemic where people lost their jobs and their lives,

JR decided to b**** about losing money. For once out of decades where hes pretty much printed it. Think about that.

I hear your opinion, centered around "could," and "should."

My opinion is based upon decades of his behavior. YMMV.

I will never understand how some will look for any reason to get hurt feelings over nothing. 

5 hours ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Gotta disagree with you.  He put up a wRC+ of ~127 over the 2018 & 2019 seasons and was worth nearly 6 fWAR.  I know he’s more or less useless against LHP, but given our roster construction I’m not sure why that’s a big deal.

What are you thinking then for RF then?  Outside of Springer, the market isn’t really loaded with OF talent and I don’t see us paying up for him.  Obviously there could be a lot of trade options though.  Be curious to hear your thoughts.

Yeah, not a ton of great options. I’d put my best foot forward on Springer and if that doesn’t work explore a trade. Joc wouldn’t be a god awful back up plan, but outside of being left handed, he doesn’t really solve what we lack or need in RF. 

7 hours ago, southsider2k5 said:

I will never understand how some will look for any reason to get hurt feelings over nothing. 

So, you're either carrying JR'S water for him, or you think it was a good idea for him to b**** about purported monetary losses while other people lost their lives/businesses/jobs.

Cool.

Edited by Two-Gun Pete

13 minutes ago, Two-Gun Pete said:

So, you're either carrying JR'S water for him, or you think it was a good idea for him to b**** about purported monetary losses while other people lost their lives/businesses/jobs.

Cool.

No. I don't feel the need to obsess for weeks over a press release and get my feeling hurt by it.

4 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

No. I don't feel the need to obsess for weeks over a press release and get my feeling hurt by it.

And here, you're wrong again.

Everyone who is in business (except for the FAANGs companies) is hurting right now. But the overwhelming majority of us don't whine about it as much as JR did.

Carry on, then.

13 hours ago, Two-Gun Pete said:

And here, you're wrong again.

Everyone who is in business (except for the FAANGs companies) is hurting right now. But the overwhelming majority of us don't whine about it as much as JR did.

Carry on, then.

You are 100% wrong here. Every single CEO out there has commented on the effects of COVID on their industry, especially when directly asked. Every.Single.one.

On 8/22/2020 at 7:22 AM, ChiSox59 said:

I’m on team Robby Ray. 

Giolito, Ray, Cease, Keuchel, Lopez/Dunning to start 

Rodon to pen or non tendered. 

Lopez to pen whenever Kopech eventually arrives, likely not til June. 

Ray has been awful this year, and was pretty mediocre in 2019. He's declining at a remarkable rate since his great 2017, and his fastball velo was down over 2mph in 2019 from where it was in 2017. Hard pass, especially with how bad he looks this year (1-3, 8.33 ERA, 2.00 WHIP). He'd be our 7th best starter right now, and I'm sure AZ would have him in the bullpen if they had any other options.

JR won't pay for Bauer, but maybe if Hahn turns down the options on Cishek, Encarnacion, and Gio, they could make signing Stroman a possibility. Especially if they moved ReyLo in a trade.

Giolito, Keuchel, Cease, Stroman, Rodon/Dunning/Kopech would be a good a really solid roation imo

10 hours ago, CeaseAndExist said:

Ray has been awful this year, and was pretty mediocre in 2019. He's declining at a remarkable rate since his great 2017, and his fastball velo was down over 2mph in 2019 from where it was in 2017. Hard pass, especially with how bad he looks this year (1-3, 8.33 ERA, 2.00 WHIP). He'd be our 7th best starter right now, and I'm sure AZ would have him in the bullpen if they had any other options.

JR won't pay for Bauer, but maybe if Hahn turns down the options on Cishek, Encarnacion, and Gio, they could make signing Stroman a possibility. Especially if they moved ReyLo in a trade.

Giolito, Keuchel, Cease, Stroman, Rodon/Dunning/Kopech would be a good a really solid roation imo

Bauer's salary this year is $17.5 Million, and he's having a good year.  Plus there is probably loss of draft pick.

13 minutes ago, oldsox said:

Bauer's salary this year is $17.5 Million, and he's having a good year.  Plus there is probably loss of draft pick.

There is a chance the draft pick requirement will be eliminated this offseason due to covid related concerns on value of players. At least that is the rumor that circulated for a while that QO structure could change. This offseason is gonna be really weird. 

Here are the options that are worth something - to me you only make a move that puts you over the top, otherwise pass. People like Gio Gonz or picking up someone like a Robbie Ray does not accomplish anything, just takes time and development away from younger guys & we have a lot of those guys that need to learn. In reality, the back end of your rotation needs to be there for younger guys to learn. By the time you get to the postseason your team is 4 starters max .. we should have options with Keuchel, Giolito, Cease, Kopech. So picking up a guy should only be done if he can start Game 1, 2, or 3 of a playoff series for you. It's a luxury as well. You have Dunning, Rodon (maybe), Lopez (maybe), and all the other rookies we know who at some point will need game seasoning that will only happen in the bullpen + minors + injuries. 

Bauer - his year to year thing and personality fit the sox to the max. I haven't seen a better fit for the Sox and Reinsdorf ever. Sign him for $30-33mm for one year and adjust annually as it makes sense. I'm not sure i'd give him over $35-37mm because he's stlll too prone to blow up from game to game (last year for example). But good Bauer is a top 10 pitcher. 

Rich Hill - he fits the mold too. One year contract, when he's healthy he's a top pithcer you could roll out in the playoffs. he's only going to give you like 85 innings, so you can roster him and still have young guys develop

Kluber - who knows what is in the tank. Can probably get him on a 1-2 year deal at reasonable price. There's a chance that he still has the top ability too. 

Those are the only 3 I'd take a shot on.