How much longer do you wait on EE and Mazara?

Jack Parkman

3 minutes ago, SonofaRoache said:

Well Texas ditched him with two years left on his deal for a reason. 

At least they traded him. The Tigers ditched McCann with 2  years of control and half the price, so he must really suck. I would give this guy a break. He is 25 years old, was sick and fell behind. He isn’t alone struggling. He obviously has power but hasn’t shown it yet. It will eventually.

• Haha 1

15 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

At least they traded him. The Tigers ditched McCann with 2  years of control and half the price, so he must really suck. I would give this guy a break. He is 25 years old, was sick and fell behind. He isn’t alone struggling. He obviously has power but hasn’t shown it yet. It will eventually.

Mazara isn't McCann. More often then not for us, those types of players flame out when they arrive. McCann is one of the exceptions. 

• Thanks 1

I like having EE. I think he'll get hot and be fine. I do. As far as Mazara, I've studied his stats at Texas and if he could just do that level of production this weird 60 game season Sox would take it. Why not just platoon him with Engel for a bit? Then give the job to Rutherford next year or trade for a RF if Mazara is a stuff. Does Vaughn know how to chase a fly ball? Stick him in RF with Robert able to chase down so many fly balls effortlessly with his speed.

Edited by greg775

My opinion now: 

Give EE until Sunday to get going. If he shows no signs of breaking out of his slump by then it's DFA time. 

Mazara and Engel should be a strict platoon for the remainder of the season. 

I'd give Mazara more time because he's 25. He's a month older than Moncada and 15 months older than Walker. 

Edited by Jack Parkman

1 hour ago, runtheballdown said:

Mazara has one of the worst swings I’ve ever seen. It’s like he’s never swung the bat before. 

hopefully it’s just a slow start.

if not put Engel in RF?

Its almost like Mazara is hitting from the wrong side of the plate. It looks like Barkley's golf swing

I know Mazara is "only" 25 but his also in his 5th full year in the bigs. He's had over 2000 ABs. This is not a guy going through a sophomore slump, and even at his age 4 straight years of identical stats is pretty close to "he is what he is" territory 

• Like 1

Mazara looks totally lost at the plate.  Even when he does get a hit, its a little texas leaguer.  How many balls has he actually squared up in his 60 PA?  Not suggesting DFA or anything, but I would certainly be looking to bring in some other options for RF.  

Less concerned about EE.  I am definitely not cutting the cord on him, but I'd be fine giving him less at bats.

Edited by ChiSox59

56 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

Mazara looks totally lost at the plate.  Even when he does get a hit, its a little texas leaguer.  How many balls has he actually squared up in his 60 PA?  Not suggesting DFA or anything, but I would certainly be looking to bring in some other options for RF.  

Less concerned about EE.  I am definitely not cutting the cord on him, but I'd be fine giving him less at bats.

Agreed, at the very least with EE he is an insane bench option in the playoffs to have. But he is gonna have a hot streak that will carry the team for at least a week or two, his career is proof of it. 

I am lost on Mazara. I need to dig up the sox quotes on him because they really made it sound like such a simple flaw. Is this on him for not being able to adjust to their mechanical advice, or were our scouts just completely off on his bat speed? Gotta sit him against lefties and really see if a deal pops up this week that could work. 

There is clearly an issue with him either physical, mechanical, mental or a combination of those factors.

Mazara has a .795 career ops against righties including a career high .834 last year, this year it is below .650. He always sucked against lefties but against righties he used to be solid and consistent.

He also has a career low exit velo and a career high K rate.

This is clearly not himself this season but the question is with like 30 games left can that be fixed? if it is a mechanical or mental issue there is not much time to fix it, the same goes for an injury problem.

Edited by Dominikk85

33 minutes ago, Dominikk85 said:

There is clearly an issue with him either physical, mechanical, mental or a combination of those factors.

Mazara has a .795 career ops against righties including a career high .834 last year, this year it is below .650. He always sucked against lefties but against righties he used to be solid and consistent.

He also has a career low exit velo and a career high K rate.

This is clearly not himself this season but the question is with like 30 games left can that be fixed? if it is a mechanical or mental issue there is not much time to fix it, the same goes for an injury problem.

Did Mazara have Covid or not? 

Career low EV also happened to Moncada who had a confirmed case of Covid.