How much longer do you wait on EE and Mazara?

Jack Parkman

EE has a proven track record and I would stick with him.  With the expanded rosters, I would like to see a strict platoon in RF.  I remember threads like this about Jermaine Dye in 2005.  He was batting below .200 until 40 games into the season.  Of course there were also threads like this about Dunn, LaRoche, etc...

1 hour ago, Leonard Zelig said:

EE has a proven track record and I would stick with him.  With the expanded rosters, I would like to see a strict platoon in RF.  I remember threads like this about Jermaine Dye in 2005.  He was batting below .200 until 40 games into the season.  Of course there were also threads like this about Dunn, LaRoche, etc...

Oh yes, Jermaine Dead.

3 hours ago, SoCalChiSox said:

Realistically though, if RH got JR to shell out that 13 year 325m deal or whatever it was, there wouldn't be money in the "budget" for all the extensions to the young talent. 

Sadly this is the reality we live in while JR is still with us.  As much as I clamored for Harper over Machado...

EE is showing signs of coming around.  We know he is a slow starter.  He has earned his leeway IMO.  

I firmly believe that Mazara is still dealing with whatever (Covid?) put him on the IL to start the year.  Unfortunately the roster needs not have a gaping hole in RF.   And Nomar hasn't seen many good pitches to hit, nor has he made pitchers come to him.  But Engel or Delmonico aren't the answers either.  So here we are...

11 minutes ago, harkness99 said:

But they did draft Tatis jr.... 

So not really a a close "what if"

I was just kidding. Trust me, I was furious the week before that trade was made when it was just rumored. I take a backseat to no man in how much I hate that trade.  Just pointing out the Sox drafted JaredMitchell ahead of Mike Trout too.

• Like 1

I made this point in another thread, but if this were the normal 2020 season, our 37th game was scheduled to be played on May 7.  So essentially these guys are trying to fit into a new team, into a new situation, and without a spring training, and it is effectively May 7.

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Leonard Zelig said:

This. Platoon in RF and wait on EE.

I will wait on EE for the entirety of a 60 game season if I have to. His entire career he has started in this fashion and always comes around. I realize one of these years, as he ages, he will not. It could be this year. However, we paid him to be our DH. He's a proven veteran guy. (Again, in just a two month season) You give him every single chance to be that. 

Even with his struggles, he still lifts one out of the ball park every 5-6 games. The way the rest of our lineup is seeing the ball (I assume Yoan will be with that crowd soon) it affords us the luxury of not freaking due to EE struggling. 

EE will finish with a low average, certainly. But not this low... and he's going to hit some HR's, while starting to walk more. That's fine. 

Edited by Richie

2 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

I made this point in another thread, but if this were the normal 2020 season, our 37th game was scheduled to be played on May 7.  So essentially these guys are trying to fit into a new team, into a new situation, and without a spring training, and it is effectively May 7.

Ding, ding, ding! Winner.

My least favorite part about this season is how fans are reading SO MUCH more into a small sample sizes. I actually had a recent conversation with White Sox fans (not on the forum) a few days ago saying the Grandal contract is already a failure. This is after him playing 18 games (played his 19th last night). lol. In no other season would you hear that. I was saying to them "I'm not even saying he'll workout. I'm simply saying you sound incredibly stupid right now for saying that based off of 18 games with no spring training."

Yes, it's true, struggling over a short amount of time has a bigger impact in a 60 game season.

HOWEVER, you do not adjust how you view that player or that sample size over the long-term because of it. We have still only played 27 games. You can't read more into it with players simply because "there's only 60 games this year". That's a logical fallacy. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Timmy U said:

I was just kidding. Trust me, I was furious the week before that trade was made when it was just rumored. I take a backseat to no man in how much I hate that trade.  Just pointing out the Sox drafted JaredMitchell ahead of Mike Trout too.

The Angels drafted Randal Grichuk ahead of Mike Trout.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

Crap, I can't math.  We have played 27 games, not 37.  It is actually effectively April 23rd.

8 hours ago, Dick Allen said:

Around the league, there are a lot of guys putting up awful numbers right now. Gary Sanchez, Javy Baez., Cody Bellinger, Altuve, Semien... Chances are, EE isn’t a .156 hitter and Mazara actually has some pop. Odds are overwhelming that James McCann isn’t suddenly a .350 hitter. Ride the hot streaks, but  usually things come back to or at least pretty close to the mean. The guys slumping will heat up, the guys on fire will cool off a bit. No need to panic . 

Good post, DA. 

11 hours ago, Leonard Zelig said:

EE is 37 and not going to hit 30 home runs forever.

• Like 1