How much longer do you wait on EE and Mazara?

Jack Parkman

18 hours ago, SouthWallace said:

Sadly this is the reality we live in while JR is still with us.  As much as I clamored for Harper over Machado...

Maz managed two hits and deserves to have Parkman get off his back. The guy is ready to turn the corner. We are lucky to have Mandick perform so well. Maybe they will start winning. 

What we aren’t used to is a decent lineup. EE is a streak hitter and slow starter. Don’t know how streaky Mazara is but he was never great vs lefties. Engel has earned the right to play vs lefties and give days off. The positive is we won seven in a row while these two have contributed little. Hopefully as hot guys cool off, these two will be better. 

2 hours ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

Randal Grichuk is still in MLB and recently had a 6 homer in 6 games stretch.

Jared Mitchell was doing fine as a prospect, — and if memory serves correctly, had a good spring training — until his ankle blew up. 

35 minutes ago, BamaDoc said:

What we aren’t used to is a decent lineup. EE is a streak hitter and slow starter. Don’t know how streaky Mazara is but he was never great vs lefties. Engel has earned the right to play vs lefties and give days off. The positive is we won seven in a row while these two have contributed little. Hopefully as hot guys cool off, these two will be better. 

Something is off with Mazara . He's having trouble squaring it up. Could be the late start. Could be trying to incorporate changes to get more loft. One little adjustment and he could start raking. Close the stance a little bit, check his vision, hold hands in a different place , stride, leg kick ,timing mechanism. Rooting for him to find the key soon.

15 minutes ago, NCsoxfan said:

Did Yermin not put up very similar numbers to Robert in MILB last year? I know it’s not apples to apples, but c’mon. Classic case of a GM overthinking something with a vet over a prospect that doesn’t fit the historical mold.

100%. Yermin not getting a shot is borderline criminal. It's time to end the Edwin Encarnacion Experience

10 minutes ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

Something is off with Mazara . He's having trouble squaring it up. Could be the late start. Could be trying to incorporate changes to get more loft. One little adjustment and he could start raking. Close the stance a little bit, check his vision, hold hands in a different place , stride, leg kick ,timing mechanism. Rooting for him to find the key soon.

Agreed, it's just frustrating that it hasn't happened yet as the whole reason the sox pulled the trigger was that they identified his flaw and were prepared to fix it. The big worry is that you really can't fix bat speed, and his is horribly slow so far this season.

16 minutes ago, Yearnin' for Yermin said:

100%. Yermin not getting a shot is borderline criminal. It's time to end the Edwin Encarnacion Experience

Can you imagine being Yermin? Work your whole life to a be a pro player and absolute mash the ball only to sit behind a 38y old hitting .150 who can’t run to first base. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, NCsoxfan said:

Can you imagine being Yermin? Work your whole life to a be a pro player and absolute mash the ball only to sit behind a 38y old hitting .150 who can’t run to first base. 

A 38 year old with a career .849 OPS / 418 home-runs and coming off a 2.5 win season as a DH.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

15 minutes ago, NCsoxfan said:

To be fair, Yermin isn't sitting behind EE. He is sitting behind Collins and Vaughn. 

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

A 38 year old with a career .849 OPS / 418 home-runs and coming off a 2.5 win season as a DH.

Right. Not like Edwin is some bum off the street. I would have given YM more than 1 PA to this point, but to claim he should be taking all of EEs at bats is silly. 

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

You can’t eat last year’s production. Eventually he will either return to form, or the Sox will have to decide when to give other guys a shot. 

11 minutes ago, NCsoxfan said:

You can’t eat last year’s production. Eventually he will either return to form, or the Sox will have to decide when to give other guys a shot. 

That’s all true, I’m just saying EE isn’t some random 38 year old guy, he was literally a high end hitter as recently as last year.

6 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

That’s all true, I’m just saying EE isn’t some random 38 year old guy, he was literally a high end hitter as recently as last year.

And I agree too, it would be silly to completely negate that. The difference here is that hitters do typically tail off at a certain age, so this may not be a slow start ala a 28y old. Not saying he won’t bounce back, but eventually Father Time does emerge.

3 hours ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

The other theory is he might not be good.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Harry Chappas said:

Im not a Delmonico fan but what has Mazara shown to warrant staying in the lineup.  He has a 630 OPS and bad defense.  The team did not draft or develop him and he was not good in Texas.  Every year it was an injury excuse.  Maybe he just stinks. 

He was a (barely) average or replacement level player. I don't think you can call him not good. Players like Cordell and LaMarre were not good. I'm not sure what we are seeing with him right now, but he was at least a threat to RHP in Texas. Engel and him on paper are a legit match made in heaven platoon scenario. I wonder if the Sox have drastically tinkered with Mazara and his approach and he simply isn't able to implement it into his game. His strike out percentage is way higher than he's had over his career. There's obviously something going on there with him.

21 minutes ago, CWSpalehoseCWS said:

He was a (barely) average or replacement level player. I don't think you can call him not good. Players like Cordell and LaMarre were not good. I'm not sure what we are seeing with him right now, but he was at least a threat to RHP in Texas. Engel and him on paper are a legit match made in heaven platoon scenario. I wonder if the Sox have drastically tinkered with Mazara and his approach and he simply isn't able to implement it into his game. His strike out percentage is way higher than he's had over his career. There's obviously something going on there with him.

Well Texas ditched him with two years left on his deal for a reason.