8-22 GT: Sox @ Cubs (7:15pm)

17 minutes ago, oldsox said:

Tough to evaluate the trade without seeing anything from Steele Walker.

No it isn't. The principle is still the same. We said over and over "it's ok to make this trade, we didn't give up all that much". We said it for about a decade, and it kept being true...until it wasn't, and that switch was pretty catastrophic. If 8 times out of 10 it turns out true that we didn't give up much, and then we give up Semien and Tatis as part of the guys who seem to be "not much" at the time, the 8 times where it works out don't balance out the enormous failures. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, YouCanPutItOnTheBoardYES! said:

I feel like the Sox will get destroyed in this game which means they’ll probably win. Because baseball is weird.

Just lay off the low junk from Hendricks which they may be getting better at. I too want to see McCann.

21 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

No it isn't. The principle is still the same. We said over and over "it's ok to make this trade, we didn't give up all that much". We said it for about a decade, and it kept being true...until it wasn't, and that switch was pretty catastrophic. If 8 times out of 10 it turns out true that we didn't give up much, and then we give up Semien and Tatis as part of the guys who seem to be "not much" at the time, the 8 times where it works out don't balance out the enormous failures. 

YOu lost me when you tried to equate Steele Walker to these other guys.

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, EloyJenkins said:

Grandal has a great game last night at the plate and also gets a near 8 inning shutout with Keuchel and you guys are still b****ing. I just don't get the animosity to the 2nd best catcher in the league.

I like them both so you can just ***********. James is a player who belongs on the team. He has big balls. 

4 minutes ago, pcq said:

I like them both so you can just ***********. James is a player who belongs on the team. He has big balls. 

I like them both as well, but Grandal is a very streaky hitter so when he hits a 460 foot homer you put him right back in. I really wish I knew what those asterisks said... I am sure it's something like so you can just keep being the most level headed guy posting here!

3 minutes ago, EloyJenkins said:

I like them both as well, but Grandal is a very streaky hitter so when he hits a 460 foot homer you put him right back in. I really wish I knew what those asterisks said... I am sure it's something like so you can just keep being the most level headed guy posting here!

He’s masking his secret man love for you.

• Haha 2

44 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

All depends on the return. What was the return on the 8 times they didn't give up much. Just because 2 panned out from other teams doesn't mean the Sox didn't do well overall. Other trade netted Giolito, Lopez and Dunning. Another got Jimenez and Cease. If you are going to pick and choose the ones where the other team got a good player, look at the ones where the Sox did. 

35 minutes ago, EloyJenkins said:

Grandal has a great game last night at the plate and also gets a near 8 inning shutout with Keuchel and you guys are still b****ing. I just don't get the animosity to the 2nd best catcher in the league.

Great. Grandal at DH tonight. Problem solved.

18 minutes ago, EloyJenkins said:

It was blank. I just want to be creative and keep all our quality guys. 

Edited by pcq
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, mqr said:

That there is beef with this lineup is proof that it is quite literally impossible for Ricky to do right by some

I think its less that he can't do right by some (altho a few of those people exist) and more that he can't do right by all of us at once. A bunch of us on here have mutually exclusive opinions, so he's always going to make at least some of us mad

1 hour ago, southsider2k5 said:

YOu lost me when you tried to equate Steele Walker to these other guys.

Yeah walker is 24 and rated a 40+ by fangraphs, the chance he becomes a star is small. Tatis wasn't really higher than a 40+ at the time of the trade either but at age 16-17 there is much more variance, a 17 yo 40fv can be a 60 2 years later (or out of baseball if it goes the other direction).

• Kyyle23 unpinned and locked this topic