Jose Abreu Appreciation Thread

SoxBlanco

The guy has been a professional since we signed him. He's done nothing but hit with shitty teams and no protection around him. Everybody complained about the extension, and he's as good as ever this year with some actual talent around him. Keep it up, Jose. You've been great.

P.S. Suck it, Ron.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Love 10

28 minutes ago, ptatc said:

And Ricky is an idiot for contining to play him let alone for batting him 3,4,5 in the order.

It really has boggled my mind how negative so many were about mgr decisions and just generally on players given what had been such small sample sizes. Even Mazara - guy has a lot of good at bats. You can see he's a tick slow but I'm not ready to give up and if he's your worse player, that's still pretty good.  If there is anything that worries me about this team - it is the team defense and additional of another front line pitcher (hoping Gio is one of them, Keuchel is pretty good, but one more would be stellar (maybe one of our guys develops into it or better yet two or three of our young guys turn into total studs :)

But those are things that could get in the way of winning a World Series - not things that make this team unbearable to watch. They are the opposite - a total freaking joy to watch.  This team has made me like baseball again after what was just a miserable freaking decade (2010-2019).  

• Love 3

4 minutes ago, South Sider said:

He's been so damn impressive his entire career, and seemingly now is much more excited -- rightfully so, and in a better lineup. I just love how he was going to "sign himself here", and he knew this shit was coming and wanted to be a part of it.

Jose's performance  is telling Eloy " Son, I'm just not going to let you walk away with the team lead in HRs and be the only Cub killer. You got to bear down if you want to beat me ! "

• Like 1

I wonder how often they are testing players for steroids during this covid season. Jose typically struggles with 90 mph fastballs up in the zone. Now he's turning on 95 mph heat up and in like he is prime Gary Sheffield. I want to believe, but it's just so implausible.

5 hours ago, Chisoxfn said:

It really has boggled my mind how negative so many were about mgr decisions and just generally on players given what had been such small sample sizes. Even Mazara - guy has a lot of good at bats. You can see he's a tick slow but I'm not ready to give up and if he's your worse player, that's still pretty good.  If there is anything that worries me about this team - it is the team defense and additional of another front line pitcher (hoping Gio is one of them, Keuchel is pretty good, but one more would be stellar (maybe one of our guys develops into it or better yet two or three of our young guys turn into total studs :)

But those are things that could get in the way of winning a World Series - not things that make this team unbearable to watch. They are the opposite - a total freaking joy to watch.  This team has made me like baseball again after what was just a miserable freaking decade (2010-2019).  

I’ve watched more complete games this season than the past three or four combined. I always follow the team, would tune in for debuts I wanted to see or random innings here and there. At the same time I went from a young 20s bachelor after 2005 (19 when we won) where I’d watch every game and base my drinking decisions off of it up to 2012 pretty much;  to a married man with a three year old so that’s played a roll too with life not allowing that much baseball.

But my wife is actually paying attention again when I throw the game on. We got together in 2011 and I converted her from a Yankee fan by 2012, the last time we had a damn shot. I’ve missed this!

Edited by claydude14

1 hour ago, Yearnin' for Yermin said:

I wonder how often they are testing players for steroids during this covid season. Jose typically struggles with 90 mph fastballs up in the zone. Now he's turning on 95 mph heat up and in like he is prime Gary Sheffield. I want to believe, but it's just so implausible.

I get your point. He usually does struggle until warmer weather. Maybe skipping April and May is why his overall numbers will be more impressive

than normal.

2 hours ago, Yearnin' for Yermin said:

I am guessing you are just joking, because if not, this is one of the most classless posts of all time.

• Like 8

2 hours ago, Yearnin' for Yermin said:

Stuff it geek. 

Let's not forget that we owe Luis Robert being here and playing so well to Jose Abreu.  From this article. 

Did the White Sox's historic commitment to Cuban players influence your decision to sign with the team? How has it been a benefit to you to have three Cuban teammates?

Yes, when I was about to sign, I tried out for six teams. Three of them expressed the most interest; I think they were Cincinnati, Oakland and the White Sox. When they asked me, "Out of these three teams, which one do you like the most?" I told them the White Sox because Pito [Jose Abreu] was already there, [Yoan] Moncada was there and I played with him. Words fail me in describing how much they have helped me since I got here in 2018. They have always been there for me. Pito would head to the gym and he'd tell me ... let's go to the gym ... let's go hit ... let's take a dip. He has always been guiding me in everything that I have had to do, and that has helped me so much.

What has been the most important adjustment that Pito has taught you?

Off the field, Pito has taught me that you always have to be professional and arrive early. And on the field, he always tells me that every day is a new day. Whatever happens in a particular day, the next day you have to come with the same drive to do your routine. If you do the work, you'll get results sooner than later. Having Pito here on this team has been the best. He's always helping me. Whenever he sees me doing something that is wrong or something that is not well done, he always tells it like it is. He's incredible.

• Like 1
  • Love 1

One particular poster and a good poster but always hard on Abreu was ripping him in a game thread. He said something about Abreu looking old and slow and only being effective because he's cheating on fastballs.

My response was if it was so easy to lead the league in hard hit balls (95mph +) by cheating on fastballs he wouldn't be leading the league. There are just so many good fastball hitters in MLB that all look fastball 1st . I told the poster that reason was a reach.

He responded smugly when Abreu K'din his next AB .

I have not seen him praising Abreu in this thread.

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

One particular poster and a good poster but always hard on Abreu was ripping him in a game thread. He said something about Abreu looking old and slow and only being effective because he's cheating on fastballs.

My response was if it was so easy to lead the league in hard hit balls (95mph +) by cheating on fastballs he wouldn't be leading the league. There are just so many good fastball hitters in MLB that all look fastball 1st . I told the poster that reason was a reach.

He responded smugly when Abreu K'din his next AB .

I have not seen him praising Abreu in this thread.

I've acknowledged how great Jose has played this year, but I just have my suspicions. I really want to believe he is doing it the right way, but it is just such a 180 turn. He is creaming 95 MPH fastballs up and in, when he used to struggle with 90 MPH heat up in the zone. 

Oh well. As long as the Sox are winning, I can't complain.

Edited by Yearnin' for Yermin
  • Haha 1

12 minutes ago, Yearnin' for Yermin said:

I've acknowledged how great Jose has played this year, but I just have my suspicions. I really want to believe he is doing it the right way, but it is just such a 180 turn. He is creaming 95 MPH fastballs up and in, when he used to struggle with 90 MPH heat up in the zone. 

Oh well. As long as the Sox are winning, I can't complain.

It is easier to sit on fastballs when you know the pitcher has to throw them.