Realistic trade candidates AKA The Lynnsanity Thread

Orlando

With the Trade Deadline approaching, who are some trade candidates the White Sox can target?

I don’t expect much movement but I think the Sox are a good starting pitcher away from greatness.

Hahn already said that if the Sox make trades it won’t be for rentals. I also doubt the Sox will be willing to part with what’s necessary to grab and ace or superstar. 

I looked around the league and found 1 pitcher that fits those criteria: Marco Gonzales. 1. He’s consistent 2. He’s signed for 4 years and has a reasonable contract 3. He plays for a non contender.

Any other ideas?

Not sure we trade for anything of importance bc of the uncertainty of the season. I could Gausman. Isnt he a FA after this year?

He'd be an upgrade for us this year without having Marco for several more years.

2020: Giolito/DK/Cease/Gausman/Reylo, Rodon, Dunning,... whoever.

2021 We go after Bauer. Possibly:

Gio, Bauer, DK, Cease, Kopech plus depth with Dunning. For 2021 unless something shocking happens I see ReyLo to the pen and Rodon either let go or to the pen.

1 hour ago, Orlando said:

With the Trade Deadline approaching, who are some trade candidates the White Sox can target?

I don’t expect much movement but I think the Sox are a good starting pitcher away from greatness.

Hahn already said that if the Sox make trades it won’t be for rentals. I also doubt the Sox will be willing to part with what’s necessary to grab and ace or superstar. 

I looked around the league and found 1 pitcher that fits those criteria: Marco Gonzales. 1. He’s consistent 2. He’s signed for 4 years and has a reasonable contract 3. He plays for a non contender.

Any other ideas?

Not sure if they would give him up but Anthony Santander on the Orioles would fit really well in RF. Switch hitter. Would probably have to give up a nice piece like Stiever for him.

Not sure we need to trade for a pitcher unless its someone dominant like a Degrom. Im sure that would cost atleast Vaughn and Kopech.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, NotHahn said:

Not sure if they would give him up but Anthony Santander on the Orioles would fit really well in RF. Switch hitter. Would probably have to give up a nice piece like Stiever for him.

Not sure we need to trade for a pitcher unless its someone dominant like a Degrom. Im sure that would cost atleast Vaughn and Kopech.

Checking out Degrom's odd contract makes him MUCH more desirable imo. I actually think Vaughn and Kopech IS worth it for a top 3 pitcher that would put the sox in contention THIS year. 

If they could trade him without having to pay any of the signing bonus money from this season he has almost zero payroll impact this season and next season is very manageable. Obviously the deferred money would need to be planned for, but Jerry will be dead by then anyways and we will have a new owner. If they move Vaughn, Eloy slots into long term DH situation and your needs then include looking for a RF and LF long term, but the rest of the team is absolutely set until 2024 and beyond if they are smart. 
Degrom / Gio / Keuchel / Cease / Dunning/Stievers is definitely a championship caliber staff and Crochet/Kelley would be reinforcements come 22/23. A BOLD win now move to me makes so much sense to nail the 21-24 strategy and it can start THIS week. 

Screen Shot 2020-08-24 at 10.34.05 AM copy.png

• Thanks 1

I don't think even Vaughn and Kopech would bring deGrom.  He is the uncontested best pitcher in baseball, and even though he's 32, the dude works on his game to such a crazy level that he is throwing the ball harder now than ever.  I think it would take one of the MLB level young stars to bring deGrom.  I wouldn't do it, but I think that's what they would demand.

13 minutes ago, sullythered said:

I don't think even Vaughn and Kopech would bring deGrom.  He is the uncontested best pitcher in baseball, and even though he's 32, the dude works on his game to such a crazy level that he is throwing the ball harder now than ever.  I think it would take one of the MLB level young stars to bring deGrom.  I wouldn't do it, but I think that's what they would demand.

Meh.  2 top 20-30 type prospects in the game?  Close-ish to what Sox got for Sale, though obviously Moncada a little more elite.  I think if the third piece was someone like Dalquist, it could definitely be enough.

Not sure I'd do it, though.  

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

Meh.  2 top 20-30 type prospects in the game?  Close-ish to what Sox got for Sale, though obviously Moncada a little more elite.  I think if the third piece was someone like Dalquist, it could definitely be enough.

yeah, I figured Stievers or Dalquist would be in it. (Sox really should hang onto Stievers) 3 legit prospects and maybe a lottery ticket added. His contract is so appealing though it may be the one worth it.

4 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

Heck no.

Stay the course and see what we’ve got in Kopech and Vaughn. They possibly will bring 5 to 8 total annual WAR for years.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, hi8is said:

Heck no.

Stay the course and see what we’ve got in Kopech and Vaughn. They possibly will bring 5 to 8 total annual WAR for years.

Yep. No real reason to sacrifice that much future for this year.

1 minute ago, ptatc said:

Yep. No real reason to sacrifice that much future for this year.

What if Kopech is a complete head case and never figures it out - peaks at a 4/5 at best? DeGrom is a SURE thing for 3 seasons + THIS years playoff run. So really it is 4 seasons of value.  Yes, losing Vaughn would suck and he is gonna be great, but unless Bauer falls in sox lap, they are still a dominant starter short. DeGrom is the ONLY pitcher I do that for or Bieber maybe. I want to believe in Kopech, but he is still just a prospect coming off TJ. 

I would not make any major deals in this shortened season. This team right now is good enough to make the expanded playoffs. Even with this teams lack of starting pitching once there you never know what might happen. Any way it will be great experience for this young team. In the upcoming offseason is when you try to get yourself a quality starter and maybe go after a right fielder. 

• Like 1

Just now, HahnsKiddieTable said:

Cannot love this post anymore. Hands down would give up a top prospect for him as long as he agreed to waive his opt out.

We know the Sox like him, but I can’t imagine him agreeing to not opt-out. Who knows, maybe we go after him this offseason. No GM in baseball should have an easier job than Hahn.  The Sox should be set everywhere besides RF and SP.

I mentioned this in the trade deadline thread, and it is pretty much not a reality I wouldn't think, but Boston keeps avoiding opportunities to say they aren't trading Bogaerts.  You could play him anywhere on the IF and he is signed through 25 with on option for 26.  He would be a great fit.

Really no idea what Boston would be looking for, but in a weird year, maybe you can get him for a weird deal.  i wonder if something like Madrigal, Collins and Thomson or Dahlquist would be enough to temp them.  Collins may have more appeal to Boston because I think his game probably translates pretty well to Fenway.  If they aren't interested in Collins, I don't exactly know where you'd turn as I don't think you trade Vaughn at this point.  So like I said, a pipe dream, but boy would he look good in the lineup.  

2 minutes ago, bmags said:

The Phils really traded a lot for their bullpen pieces. Not looking forward to trading and honestly think we have what we need in-house unless some knock-on-wood stuff happens.

Didn't they only give up crappy Pivetta for 2 usefull bullpen pieces?  I thought they fleeced the Red Sox... maybe I missed something