Realistic trade candidates AKA The Lynnsanity Thread

Orlando

I'd prefer the sox stand down, this is the opening of the window and we're going to need depth. Unless they're locking up McCann while sending Collins packing, I'm not a fan. If the minor season was in the swing of things I firmly believe Stiever would be back end top 100. Let them roll the dice with what they have outside of an acquisition like Pillar or something on that scale. Every teams season is potentially 1 outbreak away from ending.

• Like 1

I'd trade Collins a NY minute at this point.  Dude doesn't even play.  If someone actually wanted him, you trade his ass immediately.  

Even next year when McCann is gone, Grandal should be catching damn near every day like he has every season until this one.  Collins has no real role on this club moving forward other than just depth.  

Now, I wouldn't just give him away.  I am talking about another club that actually values him in a trade.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

The Sox are making the playoffs.  You need 3 starters in the playoffs. The Sox have 3 good starters.  The Sox  do not need a starting pitcher. 

Stiever is the best fairly advanced pitching prospect we have.  By the time the Sox need a starter, he should be ready.  And if things go as they usually do on these types of trades, Stiever will be the better pitcher on day 1.

4 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

I'd trade Collins a NY minute at this point.  Dude doesn't even play.  If someone actually wanted him, you trade his ass immediately.  

Even next year when McCann is gone, Grandal should be catching damn near every day like he has every season until this one.  Collins has no real role on this club moving forward other than just depth.  

Now, I wouldn't just give him away.  I am talking about another club that actually values him in a trade.  

I think Collins is undervalued by Sox fans.  He put up excellent OBP numbers in the minors, has power, has shown the ability to catch (at least on a part time basis), and still has that draft pedigree (1st round, 10th overall).  He's also never really had a legitimate opportunity with the Sox, so I don't think his spotty MLB numbers to this point should be held against him.  I could see teams being very interested in acquiring him.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

3 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

Gausman makes a lot more sense than Ray at this point.

Both would represent huge opportunities for Cooper...

I like Ray as an option first and foremost because I think he's a talented pitcher, but also he's struggled so much in this SSS 2020 that the Dbacks would likely give him away for nothing more than salary relief, and you get a month to get to know him and work with him.  

If the sox don't get Ray in the next week, I'd love bringing him in this offseason on a cheap one year deal with an option or two.  If he does get traded, he may be stuck in someone's bullpen and it could really destroy his FA market even moreso than his 2020 performance.  He's a talented guy. 

4 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

I like Ray as an option first and foremost because I think he's a talented pitcher, but also he's struggled so much in this SSS 2020 that the Dbacks would likely give him away for nothing more than salary relief, and you get a month to get to know him and work with him.  

If the sox don't get Ray in the next week, I'd love bringing him in this offseason on a cheap one year deal with an option or two.  If he does get traded, he may be stuck in someone's bullpen and it could really destroy his FA market even moreso than his 2020 performance.  He's a talented guy. 

One of the biggest issues was/is his elevated K total quickly pushing pitch counts up in the middle innings...that said, we now have the type of bullpen to cover up for that deficit.

Edited by caulfield12

3 minutes ago, Perfect Vision said:

I think Collins is undervalued by Sox fans.  He put up excellent OBP numbers in the minors, has power, has shown the ability to catch (at least on a part time basis), and still has that draft pedigree (1st round, 10th overall).  He's also never really had a legitimate opportunity with the Sox, so I don't think his spotty MLB numbers to this point should be held against him.  I could see teams being very interested in acquiring him.

If there was a team that believed Collins could catch, I believe he would have been dealt last offseason.

• Thanks 1

Just now, Perfect Vision said:

I'm not holding anything against him.  I am Zack Collins fan, and I agree with everything you said.  The kid has no chance to get a groove getting 3-4 at bats a week, and Renteria not playing him regularly last season was asinine.  I mean Wellington fuc*in' Castillo was getting late season at bats over him.  I am not advoating for trading him because of his 2020 performance.  

All that said, with Grandal in the picture, and a bevy of 1B/DH options in the org that are better hitters, he just doesn't really have a spot on this team moving forward.  If you can use him to get a guy that could put the Sox over the edge this season, and perhaps contribute next year, you don't balk at moving him.

I think Collins skill set could turn him into a poor man's Mike Napoli type moving forward, and that has a ton of use.  Especially as a lefty who can at least catch occasionally.  But with one of the best catchers in the game on our roster for the next 3.25 seasons, he's likely not going to get much playing time here.  

3 minutes ago, fathom said:

If there was a team that believed Collins could catch, I believe he would have been dealt last offseason.

That's possible, but it's also possible there wasn't anyone the Sox FO cared to trade him for.  We know they were targeting Mazara and only needed Steele Walker to get that done.  They also figured they were set in the rotation with their Keuchel and Gio Gonzalez signings.  It's very plausible that they were saving Collins as a trade chip for this year's deadline.

18 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

I'm not holding anything against him.  I am Zack Collins fan, and I agree with everything you said.  The kid has no chance to get a groove getting 3-4 at bats a week, and Renteria not playing him regularly last season was asinine.  I mean Wellington fuc*in' Castillo was getting late season at bats over him.  I am not advoating for trading him because of his 2020 performance.  

All that said, with Grandal in the picture, and a bevy of 1B/DH options in the org that are better hitters, he just doesn't really have a spot on this team moving forward.  If you can use him to get a guy that could put the Sox over the edge this season, and perhaps contribute next year, you don't balk at moving him.

I think Collins skill set could turn him into a poor man's Mike Napoli type moving forward, and that has a ton of use.  Especially as a lefty who can at least catch occasionally.  But with one of the best catchers in the game on our roster for the next 3.25 seasons, he's likely not going to get much playing time here.  

It seems like they have a plan with Collins...though it's hard to see what it is.  For all the talk of him being a terrible catcher...I've seen both of his games this year and he looked good.   In fact outside of the one Drew Anderson meltdown, all of the pitchers seemed to pitch well with him catching.   As you say, lefty with a great eye and plus power that could catch 50 games a year and costs nothing seems like a valuable asset.  

46 minutes ago, Perfect Vision said:

I just can't get over how slow his bat looks. It seems really hard to believe he'll get to that power, but if he we were able to become a good framer could be a flowers type. It's just a big if.

1 hour ago, GreenSox said:

The Sox are making the playoffs.  You need 3 starters in the playoffs. The Sox have 3 good starters.  The Sox  do not need a starting pitcher. 

Stiever is the best fairly advanced pitching prospect we have.  By the time the Sox need a starter, he should be ready.  And if things go as they usually do on these types of trades, Stiever will be the better pitcher on day 1.

I'd rather not deal Stiever or Collins just yet

Lynn would help us down the stretch, but I do not think that trade happens between us and them