Realistic trade candidates AKA The Lynnsanity Thread

Orlando

I know this would never happen, at least for the Sox, but I wonder if Milwaukee would listen on Yelich. Clearly they aren't very good and clearly they traded away a lot of prospects for good vets over the last few years. I wonder if a team who would take on that deal would at least try (Reinsdorf would not). 

FWIW, he would look ridiculous in this lineup :)

1 hour ago, Balta1701 said:

One huge problem for the White Sox in talking about Nimmo is that their best trade chip out of guys they might consider moving is a 1b, and the Mets have Alonso there. If you can't use Vaughn, then I don't see how you get around talking Kopech, given that Nimmo is showing this year that he can still be as effective as he was in 2018.

Package Degrom & Nimmo for Kopech, Dunning, Stiever, Dalquist & Adolfo. That would reload the Mets with some high end pitching prospects they lack in their system.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, NotHahn said:

Package Degrom & Nimmo for Kopech, Dunning, Stiever, Dalquist & Adolfo. That would reload the Mets with some high end pitching prospects they lack in their system.

That is way too much to give up.

We only need a #3 starter and a right fielder.

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, NotHahn said:

This sounds insane but I at least get it. Not crazy about losing Dunning but it takes a lot to pull off a deal like that. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, knightni said:

That is way too much to give up.

We only need a #3 starter and a right fielder.

I think it would put the Sox in a position to be the favorites to win it all the next couple years and still keep Vaughn and Madrigal with Crochett, Thompson & Kelley as our pitching depth.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Yearnin' for Yermin said:

I'd imagine Nimmo would cost maybe 2/3 of what Eaton cost the Nats. 

Nimmo has two years before he hits free agency after this year. Eaton had 5 year left when he was traded to the Nationals. Probably closer to 1/3.

Dunning+ probably would net Nimmo and Kopech+ makes some sense for deGrom, but I'm less sure about that one. I don't think that trade listed above is the White Sox giving up too much, but that is a lot of different health question marks for a team to be taking on for trading two of their best players. I don't think those exact prospects would be likely to happen in any trade.

One huge problem for the White Sox in talking about Nimmo is that their best trade chip out of guys they might consider moving is a 1b, and the Mets have Alonso there. If you can't use Vaughn, then I don't see how you get around talking Kopech, given that Nimmo is showing this year that he can still be as effective as he was in 2018.

Kopech cannot be traded.  

It would be a more attractive offer if the universal DH is permanent. 

2 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

Kopech cannot be traded.  

Other posts have shown that he can be. There is no restrictions on trading player not on the 60 man roster. He could be the "PTBNL."

Edited by ptatc

9 minutes ago, Yearnin' for Yermin said:

I'd imagine Nimmo would cost maybe 2/3 of what Eaton cost the Nats. 

Disagree.  Washington got 5 years of cost controlled Eaton coming off 2 healthy seasons in which he accumulated 9.8 fWAR. 

Nimmo has 2 years and 1 month of control via arbitration and has surpassed 255 PA exactly 1 time in a season.  He's a very good ball player, but he won't and shouldn't return anything close to what Eaton return.  

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, ptatc said:

Other posts have shown that he can be. There is no restrictions on trading player not on the 60 man roster. He could be the "PTBNL."

There actually are limitations on trading a player not on the 60 man.  You can't.

But you can get around it as a PTBNL.  That is true.  

Just now, ChiSox59 said:

There actually are limitations on trading a player not on the 60 man.  You can't.

And trading DeGrom for a PTBNL as the headliner amongst other parts would set NYC into full blown meltdown mode. Not good optics for their FO if that was the case. 

1 minute ago, ChiSox59 said:

So in other words you can. you just have to "designate" the player not on the 60 as the PTBNL later.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, CWSpalehoseCWS said:

That's kind of strange comment:  "Should the team acquire a RF this winter."  Okay, well, a lot of players would be blocked should the Sox acquire someone at the same position in the winter.  And if Adolfo is looking good, let he be the RF; Sox history with these veteran signees isn't the best.

On 8/26/2020 at 10:51 AM, southsider2k5 said:

#4, We are not in the part of the window where we should be mortgaging short term gain for long term losses.  I would rather not have Lynn, than give up a lot of significant future pieces for him.

#5, even if we come up short this year, I am willing to do that in order to hold the future together.  If I am giving up real pieces for a pitcher, I want at least 3 years of control in exchange.

yes  and yes. And re #4, doing these types of things is how you shorten the window.  

31 minutes ago, NotHahn said:

I think it would put the Sox in a position to be the favorites to win it all the next couple years and still keep Vaughn and Madrigal with Crochett, Thompson & Kelley as our pitching depth.

Thompson & Kelley are recent high school picks who have never pitched in full season ball and can’t be counted on anytime soon as pitching depth.  Maybe Crotchett is a fast mover, but under no circumstance can you trade all three of Kopech, Dunning, & Stiever.  Who exactly is the #5 starter in 2021?  God forbid a starter goes down too.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, fathom said:

Mets aren’t trading deGrom prior to the team sale

I would agree. The ownership would need to bein place to make a decision on the strategy going forward. D o they want to use some goodwill as new owners like the Cubs to start a full rebuild. Or do they have enough pieces to add and win immediately. Personally, I would go the rebuild route to capitalize on the goodwill and save the money after spending that much on a team. 

8 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Thompson & Kelley are recent high school picks who have never pitched in full season ball and can’t be counted on anytime soon as pitching depth.  Maybe Crotchett is a fast mover, but under no circumstance can you trade all three of Kopech, Dunning, & Stiever.  Who exactly is the #5 starter in 2021?  God forbid a starter goes down too.

Realisitcally, the Sox need to sign a SP this offseason.

Giolito, Keuchel, Cease, FA, Lopez with Kopech replacing Lopez in June.  Then you also have Dunning and Stiever.  

I think Sox can definitely afford to trade Stiever if it nets them someone like Nimmo/

2 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

Realisitcally, the Sox need to sign a SP this offseason.

Giolito, Keuchel, Cease, FA, Lopez with Kopech replacing Lopez in June.  Then you also have Dunning and Stiever.  

I think Sox can definitely afford to trade Stiever if it nets them someone like Nimmo/

I think depends on what they see the rest of the way from dunning. If he can consistently show the stuff he did in the one start, I don't think I would add a FA starter. That would have Giolito, Keuchal, Cease, Kopech and Dunning as the starters with Lopez as the number 6.

11 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Degrom, Giolito, Keuchel, Cease, Lopez. Maybe give Rodon or Gio Gonzales a prove it deal as a 6th starter/long relief. I agree trading all 3 would be tough. But Degrom is a true ace who seems to be peaking and has very little injury concern. Kind of feels like when the Astros traded for Verlander and won it in 17.

21 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Yeah, I mean I don't want a deal like this to happen except under ideal circumstances, but you would have to mix and match guys from the shorter time line and the longer time line if you were going to trade multiple pitchers.  But like I said, short of getting a long term guy that is a top flight starter, I would rather roll with these guys than mortgage the farm at this point.