Realistic trade candidates AKA The Lynnsanity Thread

Orlando

2 hours ago, SoCalChiSox said:

Yes he would be a good fit. And I think under contract for 2 more years I think someone stated. 

I hate that we as Sox fans are conditioned to worry about salary so damn much. If the team is on the cusp of greatness, write the f**king check and get a stud here - especially since so much of the team's young talent is already signed.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, steveno89 said:

All that for roughly 36 starts of a pitcher who turns 34 next May? I will pass

We tanked an entire season to select Madrigal and install him as our 2B moving forward. He is not getting traded for a player with limited control remaining, if traded at all. 

Ok no Madrigal . But Sox are still going to need another front line starter to give them a better chance to be World Champs THIS year and next hypothetically, unless Covid and social issues makes sports unplayable.

All 3 are spart parts now. Maybe moving forward Madrigal is no better than Mendick , I like him but he's a singles hitter who would rather not K than take a walk. His running ,hitting and baseball acumen is over rated. He's certainly not a run producer. Outfielders will play shallow till he can drive the ball into gaps and down both lines or over their heads.

I'm not hating on him I'm just not as impressed with him as many are.

• Like 1

We need our Freddy Garcia or Jose Contreras... just don’t see one out there guys. My feeling is this time he’ll have to come from our ranks and is named Dunning or Kopech.

Kopech still has the potential to be our TOR ace by 2022.

This window is just opening and will be wide for years. No need to rush or make any move that is desperate.

12 minutes ago, hi8is said:

We need our Freddy Garcia or Jose Contreras... just don’t see one out there guys. My feeling is this time he’ll have to come from our ranks and is named Dunning or Kopech.

This window is just opening and will be wide for years. No need to rush or make any move that is desperate.

:cheers

30 minutes ago, Flash said:

Quite possible Rodon rebuilds value by end of the year.

I get the thinking that if he returned and threw well he would rebuild value but there doesn't seem to be a speckle of optimism around him returning. I would expect the Sox to non-tender him at this point. Who knows though.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, hi8is said:

I agree with this but Lynn is a match made in heaven for the Sox. Only $10M a year for next year,  less for this year , much less. So he gives you a shot at 2 World Series. Cheaply during the height of his pitching abilities .

He's a legit Cy Young candidate this year.  If him. Gio  and DK all keep pitching like they have been that's 3  guys in the rotation who all could win the Cy Young.

2 legit shots at world series I'd take a very serious shot at that and trading a non run producing 2nd basemen wouldn't be a high price.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Just now, raBBit said:

I get the thinking that if he returned and threw well he would rebuild value but there doesn't seem to be a speckle of optimism around him returning. I would expect the Sox to non-tender him at this point. Who knows though.

Rabbit....hearing anything on the trade front?

5 minutes ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

I agree with this but Lynn is a match made in heaven for the Sox. Only $10M a year for next year,  less for this year , much less. So he gives you a shot at 2 World Series. Cheaply during the height of his pitching abilities .

He's a legit Cy Young candidate this year.  If him. Gio  and DK all keep pitching like they have been that's 3  guys in the rotation who all could win the Cy Young.

2 legit shots at world series I'd take a very serious shot at that and trading a non run producing 2nd basemen wouldn't be a high price.

I agree but think Lynn will be cost prohibitive considering all of the other teams who view him similarly.

Padres

Yankees

Twins

Cubs

A’s

He’s going to be expensive.

1 hour ago, TomPickle said:

Nimmo has two years before he hits free agency after this year. Eaton had 5 year left when he was traded to the Nationals. Probably closer to 1/3.

Dunning+ probably would net Nimmo and Kopech+ makes some sense for deGrom, but I'm less sure about that one. I don't think that trade listed above is the White Sox giving up too much, but that is a lot of different health question marks for a team to be taking on for trading two of their best players. I don't think those exact prospects would be likely to happen in any trade.

What's equal to 1/3 of that trade? Stiever and Adolfo?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ChiSox59 said:

Realisitcally, the Sox need to sign a SP this offseason.

Giolito, Keuchel, Cease, FA, Lopez with Kopech replacing Lopez in June.  Then you also have Dunning and Stiever.  

I think Sox can definitely afford to trade Stiever if it nets them someone like Nimmo/

If we plan to add a starter at some point, then Stiever is totally expendable.  I would definitely be open to a trade for Nimmo centered around Stiever, but not sure if that will be enough for the Mets.  Just not convinced they’re looking to sell right now.

20 minutes ago, hi8is said:

I agree but think Lynn will be cost prohibitive considering all of the other teams who view him similarly.

Padres

Yankees

Twins

Cubs

A’s

He’s going to be expensive.

Quite likely but having a shot at winning world Series because there are other teams want to win too is something a serious team has to deal with all the time.

As you said the window is open. No need to close it now .Take your best shot. Who knows? Right now and for next year they have good chance before Vaughn and other prospects even can contribute.

I find it hard to believe anyone who thinks it's a bad idea to trade Madrigal, Lopez and Mercedes wouldn't trade them for a good shot at 2 titles . I can understand if someone might not think it's enough to get Lynn.

Then you dont have to trade for a SP in the off season and you keep Vaughn and all other good pitching prospects.

Edited by CaliSoxFanViaSWside

2 minutes ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

Quite likely but having a shot at winning world Series because there are other teams want to win too is something a serious team has to deal with all the time.

As you said the window is open. No need to close it now .Take your best shot. Who knows? Right now and for next year they have good chance before Vaughn and other prospects even can contribute.

I find it hard to believe anyone who thinks it's a bad idea to trade Madrigal, Lopez and Mercedes wouldn't trade them for a good shot at 2 titles . I can understand if someone might not think it's enough to get Lynn.

I would definitely do this trade. Lopez looks like a bust, Yermin is blocked by others, and 2nd base is one of the easiest positions to fill. 

Not sure that's enough, though.

47 minutes ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

Ok no Madrigal . But Sox are still going to need another front line starter to give them a better chance to be World Champs THIS year and next hypothetically, unless Covid and social issues makes sports unplayable.

All 3 are spart parts now. Maybe moving forward Madrigal is no better than Mendick , I like him but he's a singles hitter who would rather not K than take a walk. His running ,hitting and baseball acumen is over rated. He's certainly not a run producer. Outfielders will play shallow till he can drive the ball into gaps and down both lines or over their heads.

I'm not hating on him I'm just not as impressed with him as many are.

OH come one...you have defined 23 year old Madrigal after 17 major league at bats?  Wasn't he named the best fielding second baseman in all the minors last year?  You know who else was a single hitting, great bat control, little power, rare walking (until later in his career) second baseman.  Rod Carew...and he had nearly 50 WAR in a 7 year stretch.   I like Mendick but he's almost 27 and has never done anything in his career that suggests greatness.   

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, michelangelosmonkey said:

OH come one...you have defined 23 year old Madrigal after 17 major league at bats?  Wasn't he named the best fielding second baseman in all the minors last year?  You know who else was a single hitting, great bat control, little power, rare walking (until later in his career) second baseman.  Rod Carew...and he had nearly 50 WAR in a 7 year stretch.   I like Mendick but he's almost 27 and has never done anything in his career that suggests greatness.   

Pretty sure Madrigal’s defensive metrics in the minors were good, but definitely not great.  Now Robert’s were sensational in the minors.

9 minutes ago, Yearnin' for Yermin said:

I would definitely do this trade. Lopez looks like a bust, Yermin is blocked by others, and 2nd base is one of the easiest positions to fill. 

Not sure that's enough, though.

Keith Law said today that Lopez probably has no value at all

2 minutes ago, michelangelosmonkey said:

And by the way...shouldn't dynastic greatness be in play?   The pieces are falling in place.  I know it's still a long shot but if Vaughan is Frank Thomas and Madrigal is Rod Carew??  Trading a shining potential for 36 starts of admittedly a very good pitcher seems to aggressive of a move...we are the 1969 Reds.   

• Haha 1

12 minutes ago, hi8is said:

He looks like a scared little boy in a man’s game. So strange. I miss his 98 heat.

I think that is ridiculous to question his manhood.  Seems like it was less than a  year ago that he went into Cleveland when they were fighting for a playoff spot and he threw a 1 hitter with 11 strikeouts and a few starts later held the Tigers to one run and struck out 9 in 8 innings??  When he is good he is very good (OK and when he's bad hes awful)  still he's only 26...and he can throw it 98.   Why must we give up on every young player after a couple of bad performances?  

4 minutes ago, michelangelosmonkey said:

I think that is ridiculous to question his manhood.  Seems like it was less than a  year ago that he went into Cleveland when they were fighting for a playoff spot and he threw a 1 hitter with 11 strikeouts and a few starts later held the Tigers to one run and struck out 9 in 8 innings??  When he is good he is very good (OK and when he's bad hes awful)  still he's only 26...and he can throw it 98.   Why must we give up on every young player after a couple of bad performances?  

Wasn’t he the worst pitcher in baseball last year statistically?  I know that means less now that it did before Giolito, but don’t act like he’s this phenomenal performer that had a few bad outings.  He’s lucky he was given a starting spot coming into the season without real competition.

First trade deadline ever where I am particularly concerned that the Sox will overpay and trade away some of the young core.  Not this year, let the kids play.  We do not even know if the season will end and there will be playoffs.  I would not under any circumstance (I am sure some will say Mike Trout, but get real) do the Sox trade, Vaughn, Madrigal, Kopech, Dalquist, Thompson, Kelly or Crochet.  No chance.   Maybe Adolfo, but why, roll the dice, Sox are hot let's see where this team goes during this crazy time. 

Thanks to all of you for your interest in the Sox, it makes my day and passes the time well during these days that can be quite long. 

Peace. 

• Like 1