Realistic trade candidates AKA The Lynnsanity Thread

Orlando

1 minute ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

So his age means more than how he's pitched since last year and the 1.60 ERA this year and he will fall off a cliff in the only other year we have him for a measly $10M ?

In the end, Dunning is expected to be part of this team's Championship rotation (hopefully), probably starting next year. Trading him off leaves a big hole in the rotation after next year. Especially now that Kopech feels a little less certain than he did previously.

We didn't come this far in the rebuild to make reactionary, impatient moves that will hurt our chances of winning titles.

• Like 1
  • Love 1

6 minutes ago, Sarava said:

I'm not saying I know of an example they would bite on. Just that the idea of Dunning going towards Lynn would go against how Hahn has said he will approach potential trades.

I think Hahn said no rentals .He could have said more. I don't remember. Since Lynn is under contract through 21 he's not a rental.

Just now, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

I think Hahn said no rentals .He could have said more. I don't remember. Since Lynn is under contract through 21 he's not a rental.

Eh, that is kind of a rental. He would be gone after next year. He wouldn't be here for most of our likely championship window.

5 minutes ago, Sarava said:

In the end, Dunning is expected to be part of this team's Championship rotation (hopefully), probably starting next year. Trading him off leaves a big hole in the rotation after next year. Especially now that Kopech feels a little less certain than he did previously.

We didn't come this far in the rebuild to make reactionary, impatient moves that will hurt our chances of winning titles.

What's rash and reactionary about getting a great pitcher for cheap who greatly improves you odds of winning a title in 2 consecutive years? Will only winning 4 World Series make you happy ?

• Like 1

What's rash and reactionary about getting a great pitcher for cheap who greatly improves you odds of winning a title in 2 consecutive years? Will only winning 4 World Series make you happy ?

Maybe I'm not as convinced he is great as you are. He wasn't great when he was in our division. His postseason numbers aren't great. And then what about 2022? Do we not care about 2022 and beyond? 2022 is probably the year the Sox most likely contend for a title.

I'm willing to move Dunning or Kopech for the right deal, but they need to find that deal. Lance Lynn is not it IMO.

3 minutes ago, Sarava said:

Maybe I'm not as convinced he is great as you are. He wasn't great when he was in our division. His postseason numbers aren't great. And then what about 2022? Do we not care about 2022 and beyond? 2022 is probably the year the Sox most likely contend for a title.

I'm willing to move Dunning or Kopech for the right deal, but they need to find that deal. Lance Lynn is not it IMO.

Maybe then you need to read up on how he became what he is now. He's not a household name like DeGrom . I don't know what to tell you. We're 20-12 ,tied for 1st . Our odds of making the playoffs is 98%. The future isnt 2022 , the future is now while we got ALMOST everyone we need to win a title in 20 and 21. We are still 1 quality pitcher short.

• Like 2

Maybe then you need to read up on how he became what he is now. He's not a household name like DeGrom . I don't know what to tell you. We're 20-12 ,tied for 1st . Our odds of making the playoffs is 98%. The future isnt 2022 , the future is now while we got ALMOST everyone we need to win a title in 20 and 21. We are still 1 quality pitcher short.

I know what he's done for one season + a month since his bad 2018. He's been one of the best in baseball. That doesn't make me want to push all chips in now at the expense of 2022 and beyond.

I agree we are one TOR pitcher short. Find a guy with a little longer control, and then I'd be on board making a move.

The Rangers play tonight at 6pm and Lynn is scheduled to be on the mound for them.  That could really accelerate things from a trade perspective.  Also, just wanted to post the quote from Ken Rosenthal that I referenced earlier.  If teams are truly unwilling to move a top 100 prospect for him and the Rangers figure now is the time to move him regardless, then we better be serious players with a 3 or 4 player quantity-based package similar to how we got the A’s to bite on a Shark deal.  Fuck, I’d give up Stiever, Collins, & Adolfo plus Lopez at this point.  That package lacks a true centerpiece, but gives them an arm they can instantly replace Lynn with that might benefit from a change of scenery, a pitching prospect that had some serious helium coming into the season, a major league ready LH power bat that could immediately factor into their 1B/DH mix, and a high risk / high reward OF prospect that may only be a year or so away.  I’m sure they’d rather land a blue chipper plus lesser pieces, but if the market is suppressed because of COVID-related concerns, that‘s a deal I think they’d consider.

Will any team part with a top 100 prospect for Lynn when the depressed economic climate might make teams even more protective their affordable young talent? Maybe not, but perhaps the Rangers should simply make the best deal possible, knowing Lynn’s value likely will never be higher.

“You look at what’s happening with Minor, and that’s the case for trading Lance Lynn,” one rival executive said.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

So who is this magical creature that we can acquire that is good has a long contract and wont cost prospects ?

That doesn't exist but going back to this past off-season i was banging the drum for Marco Gonzales, you would have control for 6 years including this year. If we're going to move top prospects lets get a long term controllable asset. Maybe pair it up with Seager and transition Moncada back to 2B. Seager gives us another LH bat in the line up and is controllable for 3 years including '2020. 

11 minutes ago, beautox said:

That doesn't exist but going back to this past off-season i was banging the drum for Marco Gonzales, you would have control for 6 years including this year. If we're going to move top prospects lets get a long term controllable asset. Maybe pair it up with Seager and transition Moncada back to 2B. Seager gives us another LH bat in the line up and is controllable for 3 years including '2020. 

Gonzales is obviously a good starter, but fairly similar to Keuchel and wouldn’t want my post-season having two guys like that.  Seager I’d want no part at his age & contract, especially when it requires moving Moncada off a position he’s both comfortable and very good at.

It's not that Dunning is untradeable. He isn't. It's just that what we saw in those 3 + innings of his debut is how he looked pre tj surgery in the minors quite often. He has 4 pitches, Good velocity, and pitching IQ. A high floor guy who will always be solid. At 25 years old with at least 5 yrs of control. I would really hesitate to even consider trading Dunning for a 33 year old pitcher with only 1 more season of control.

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Gonzales is obviously a good starter, but fairly similar to Keuchel and wouldn’t want my post-season having two guys like that.  Seager I’d want no part at his age & contract, especially when it requires moving Moncada off a position he’s both comfortable and very good at.

Seager is elite at 3B defense as well SSS be damned. Having said that I understand not wanting to move Moncada off the hot corner.  Seager's contract is the following $3,768,518 remaining for this year, 18M for '21 and since in this scenario hes been traded a $15M player option for '22 and he is only 32, not some fossil they'll have well past his prime.

I would welcome a pitcher similar to DK in Gonzales on this staff with open arms that would be here for the whole window, especially with this infield defense and whos patrolling CF.

line up could look something like this for the remainder of the year

Anderson - SS
Moncada# - 2B
Abreu - 1B
Grandal# - C
Jimenez - LF
Seager* - 3B
Robert - CF
EE - DH  
Mazara* / Engel - RF  

Giolito
Keuchel*
Cease
Gonzales*
Dunning / Gonzalez*

Going into the off-season you further fortify the rotation with Bauer and pick up better platoon partner for Engel in Pederson or Brantley.

9 minutes ago, beautox said:

Seager is elite at 3B defense as well SSS be damned. Having said that I understand not wanting to move Moncada off the hot corner.  Seager's contract is the following $3,768,518 remaining for this year, 18M for '21 and since in this scenario hes been traded a $15M player option for '22 and he is only 32, not some fossil they'll have well past his prime.

I would welcome a pitcher similar to DK in Gonzales on this staff with open arms that would be here for the whole window, especially with this infield defense and whos patrolling CF.

line up could look something like this for the remainder of the year

Anderson - SS
Moncada# - 2B
Abreu - 1B
Grandal# - C
Jimenez - LF
Seager* - 3B
Robert - CF
EE - DH  
Mazara* / Engel - RF  

Giolito
Keuchel*
Cease
Gonzales*
Dunning / Gonzalez*

Going into the off-season you further fortify the rotation with Bauer and pick up better platoon partner for Engel in Pederson or Brantley.

I honesty don’t get what Seager accomplishes outside a little better balance.  He’s a fine player, but he simply makes our team older & more expensive.  Any dollars we have to commit to the lineup should be allocated to a RF upgrade.

As for Gonzalez, just don’t think he’s the answer to what we’re looking for.  We need another arm that can be dangerous come October and Dallas already has one spot locked down.  I really don’t want to throw out two soft-tossing lefties with similar arsenals in a playoff series. 

• Thanks 1

41 minutes ago, fathom said:

If giving away Kopech and Madrigal, I want a superstar in return. 

Exactly, imagine using those bullets on Gonzalez/seager and then finding out a perfect fit becomes available in offseason. 

Realistically I'm not sure there's anything we can do about it now, but I'm not comfortable with Colome as our closer in the playoffs. Not sure if we're gonna get Bummer back in time? And really not sure if there is anything out there?

5 minutes ago, bmags said:

Exactly, imagine using those bullets on Gonzalez/seager and then finding out a perfect fit becomes available in offseason. 

Honest question, what do you personally think will be available in the off-season?

9 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

I honesty don’t get what Seager accomplishes outside a little better balance.  He’s a fine player, but he simply makes our team older & more expensive.  Any dollars we have to commit to the lineup should be allocated to a RF upgrade.

As for Gonzalez, just don’t think he’s the answer to what we’re looking for.  We need another arm that can be dangerous come October and Dallas already has one spot locked down.  I really don’t want to throw out two soft-tossing lefties with similar arsenals in a playoff series. 

If the sox are shipping off Madrigal, I'd imagine Hahn would want another professional hitter instead of betting on Mendick being an average to slightly above regular. 

I respect that opinion I just don't see a top shelf arm available at the deadline that lines up with this front offices stated goals.

5 minutes ago, beautox said:

Honest question, what do you personally think will be available in the off-season?

If the sox are shipping off Madrigal, I'd imagine Hahn would want another professional hitter instead of betting on Mendick being an average to slightly above regular. 

I respect that opinion I just don't see a top shelf arm available at the deadline that lines up with this front offices stated goals.

Resources are limited though and we should not waste them on lateral moves.  Seager costs us $18M next year and money that could be used towards RF.  The prospects you’re talking about giving up could be two major pieces for a legit TOR starter this offseason.  

Personally, if a guy like DeGrom isn’t available this coming offseason, I’d rather just keep Kopech & Madrigal, sign someone like Stroman to a 4/$80M deal, and acquire the best stop-gap RF that can buy us a year until hopefully a Cespedes or Colas is ready (assuming we sign one of them). 

8 minutes ago, Flash said:

Just for giggles, can a case be made for Josh Hader? 3 + years of arb. control, maybe a guy who can give us 2+ lockdown innings in POs...maybe key piece of an opener approach...i.e. Cease-Foster-Hader-? 

He’d cost us all our major chips and IMO he represents more of a luxury than a need.

• Like 1