Realistic trade candidates AKA The Lynnsanity Thread

Orlando

5 minutes ago, Baron said:

They do. But there's always the "We won the World Series" to fall back on. Not a bad thing. 

I'd rather have that. 

I'd rather have both. I'm not willing to trade Cease/Kopech/Dunning/Stiever/Crochet until there are no spots left for them and 4 spots in the rotation are solidly filled. Stand pat and go sign pitching in the offseason. 

Edited by Jack Parkman
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Jack Parkman said:

I'd rather have both. I'm not willing to trade Cease/Kopech/Dunning/Stiever/Crochet until there are no spots left for them and 4 spots in the rotation are solidly filled. 

We don't need all those guys to pitch for the White Sox. 

• Like 1

Just now, Harold's Leg Lift said:

The World Series 3 years away is always the most important.

It depends on whether or not you believe that your team is a true contender or not. The Sox don't have the pitching even with Lynn. 

I'm a believer in the idea that players come and go, but championship banners fly forever. I don't think the Sox are quite there yet. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

40 minutes ago, Baron said:

Here's Steves response to my question about the framework of a Lynn deal

"Texas is asking for the world right now. Once their price comes down, the social media consensus of Dunning, Stiever, and Adolfo types could work"

That would be horrible. No way should we give up both pitchers for one year and one month of Lance Lynn. 

• Like 5

2 minutes ago, Baron said:

We don't need all those guys to pitch for the White Sox. 

No, we don't. I just don't think now is the time to make a move. At this point I'd rather throw money at SP this winter where there will be bargains to be had. Hopefully Jerry is on the same page. 

Here is the reality. We have a 7 year window to compete, this doesn't change even if we trade Dunning or Vaughn. The key is the ability to spend money when needed to plug holes as they pop up. Also have to draft the best talent you can regardless of position, and get one of the big International free agents we are in on. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Jack Parkman said:

It depends on whether or not you believe that your team is a true contender or not. The Sox don't have the pitching even with Lynn. 

I'm a believer in the idea that players come and go, but championship banners fly forever. I don't think the Sox are quite there yet. 

You only need 3 solid starters come playoff time. Giolito, Keuchel and Lynn could get the job done in the playoffs

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Jack Parkman said:

How do the White Sox not have the pitching with Lynn? You need three starters in the playoff. Giolito/Keuchel/Lynn isn't good enough for you? 

And how are they not quite there? It's baseball and they're in the playoffs as of today. Anyone in the playoffs can win it all. 

Edited by Look at Ray Ray Run
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Love 1

I would trade McCann but I don't know what we'd get in this bizarre season, probably not much with him entering free agency. You think we coulda traded Collins to the Royals for the closer they traded today to SD? That might have been an OK deal as we could use somebody lights out to pitch in the eighth before our closer takes over. I like McCann and Collins, but trading one of them for great value wouldn't be so upsetting because either one of them can be a great backup to Grandal. I also would trade Cease if we can get a lot for him. I still think he can be a star but he's yet to emerge as more than a maybe type prospect.

• Like 1

Just now, Jack Parkman said:

No, we don't. I just don't think now is the time to make a move. At this point I'd rather throw money at SP this winter where there will be bargains to be had. Hopefully Jerry is on the same page. 

Are you sure Jerry is going to want to do that? He’s already crying poor and premium pitching is gonna cost you one thing or another. The $ or a few prospects 

We have no idea how serious Milwaukee would be about potentially trading Woodruff or Josh Hader. Of the guys the Sox have been "credibly" linked with, Lynn has the most trade value, but giving up one of Kopech or Vaughn for 1 full season + (hopefully) 2 months of him seems completely absurd to me. Even if the Sox *want* to make their version of acquiring Chris Sale or Adam Eaton, there's no guarantee that player is available right now. The rumors we're hearing right now suggest no one of that caliber is being shopped at the moment.

1 minute ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

How do the White Sox not have the pitching with Lynn? You need three starters in the playoff. Giolito/Keuchel/Lynn isn't good enough for you? 

In the playoffs you need 4 starters. There is Game 1, Game 2, off day, Game 3, Game 4. So 4 games in 5 days.  

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, fathom said:

That would make the pitching depth going forward incredibly thin. For me, I would want more than 40 starts for 18 years of control.

You don't even like Collins and probably not Adolfo either and you also said Dunning 's a 5th starter on contender. Seems a peculiar thing you just said

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

And how are they not quite there? It's baseball and they're in the playoffs as of today. Anyone in the playoffs can win it all. 

True. I don't consider us a contender just yet because we only have two pitchers id feel comfortable with in a post season game. And even Gio scares me a little in a game 7. 

4 minutes ago, maxjusttyped said:

We have no idea how serious Milwaukee would be about potentially trading Woodruff or Josh Hader. Of the guys the Sox have been "credibly" linked with, Lynn has the most trade value, but giving up one of Kopech or Vaughn for 1 full season + (hopefully) 2 months of him seems completely absurd to me. Even if the Sox *want* to make their version of acquiring Chris Sale or Adam Eaton, there's no guarantee that player is available right now. The rumors we're hearing right now suggest no one of that caliber is being shopped at the moment.

Correct. 

de Grom is a guy you make a move on. A proven ace with team control. He wouldn't even be as expensive as Sale was because he has a bigger contract and is older. 

23 minutes ago, Baron said:

Oh hell

Great pitchers find a way to beat great teams. Yes, there going to have an off night here and there, but I wouldn’t consider Lynn great. He’s a good pitcher but he’s not at the level of great yet. We are trying to win championships. If the Sox truly want Lynn than they are better off waiting until the asking price comes down. I’m talking from a business perspective there. Other than that I feel they will make a trade but there are better options out there to explore.

3 minutes ago, flavum said:

If they play in a bubble, they may choose to have fewer off days too. Four deep, for sure.

I don’t see them messing with the format plus more teams in the playoffs this year MLB is gonna want as many teams in the spotlight  as possible. Idk a possibility I still see the days off though. NHL and NBA are in bubbles and are giving the days off

6 minutes ago, SonofaRoache said:

True. I don't consider us a contender just yet because we only have two pitchers id feel comfortable with in a post season game. And even Gio scares me a little in a game 7. 

If we're being honest with ourselves the Sox have zero SP that I'd be comfortable with in the playoffs. Giolito's command fails him in the first inning and when he has an adrenaline surge. Keuchel doesn't miss enough bats. I saw what happened to Keuchel when he was with the Braves last October and it's why I was against signing him. 

Edited by Jack Parkman
  • Like 2
  • Haha 3

2 minutes ago, maloney.adam said:

Great pitchers find a way to beat great teams. Yes, there going to have an off night here and there, but I wouldn’t consider Lynn great. He’s a good pitcher but he’s not at the level of great yet. We are trying to win championships. If the Sox truly want Lynn than they are better off waiting until the asking price comes down. I’m talking from a business perspective there. Other than that I feel they will make a trade but there are better options out there to explore.

Oh you were serious with that comment. 

• Like 1

I'm not sure if Stroman's return/trade deadline experience correlates with Lynn entirely. But it's a little comparable. No top 100 guys. Similar contract situations.

It's really up to how JD thinks the Rangers will do next year if he actually needs to trade him. 

Edited by Baron