Realistic trade candidates AKA The Lynnsanity Thread

Orlando

4 minutes ago, Jack Parkman said:

If we're being honest with ourselves the Sox have zero SP that I'd be comfortable with in the playoffs. Giolito's command fails him in the first inning and when he has an adrenaline surge. Keuchel doesn't miss enough bats. I saw what happened to Keuchel when he was with the Braves last October and it's why I was against signing him. 

Devil's advocate here: Giolito has shown on a given night he can be DOMINANT (no hitter). Keuchel looks like Buehrle, he just does. He looks capable of being very reliable in the playoffs. And Cease has the stuff to get hot when it matters. Finally maybe Gonzalez could end his career on a high note and give u five solid innings.

10 minutes ago, Jack Parkman said:

If we're being honest with ourselves the Sox have zero SP that I'd be comfortable with in the playoffs. Giolito's command fails him in the first inning and when he has an adrenaline surge. Keuchel doesn't miss enough bats. I saw what happened to Keuchel when he was with the Braves last October and it's why I was against signing him. 

Jack, you have had some of the worst takes I've ever read in the past few days.

Keuchel has thrown 59 career post-season innings; he has a 3.47 ERA which is actually LOWER than his career ERA. So your theory that he just can't succeed in the playoffs only makes sense if you ignore the actual 60 INNINGS he's thrown.

GIolito has been one of the 10 best starters in baseball in the last 1 + year, and amazingly enough they play with the same ball and rules in the playoffs! It's almost like being able to control your emotions to throw something like a no-hitter.

These are just so terrible.

Edited by Look at Ray Ray Run
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Love 1

10 minutes ago, Baron said:

Oh you were serious with that comment. 

After I read all those posts and articles from insiders talking about how all these teams are jumping in on Lynn, it was obviously exciting to see at first but after hearing about his performance and looking at his age and comparing his whole body of work compared to other players that can get us over the top, I was thinking to myself well yes he’s good and his services are in high demand, but obviously the cost or the asking price is going to be high so do we really want to go after him at that cost when we can find someone better that will take us to the top.

Edited by maloney.adam

7 minutes ago, Jack Parkman said:

Fangraphs has Gio tied for 5th in projected WAR for the rest of this season. Aside from Gerrit Cole & Bieber, there's no healthy pitcher I think you can argue is *clearly* a better option Giolito. If the Sox can't feel comfortable with him in a playoff game, okay, but that means only 2 AL teams have *any* pitchers they can feel good about then too.

16 minutes ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

You don't even like Collins and probably not Adolfo either and you also said Dunning 's a 5th starter on contender. Seems a peculiar thing you just said

I like Stiever (who was the third, not Collins) and Adolfo has more potential than any of the other outfielders in the system.

• Like 1

Just now, maloney.adam said:

After I read all those posts and articles from insiders talking about how all these teams are jumping in on Lynn, it was obviously exciting to see at first but after hearing about his performance and looking at his age and comparing his whole body of work compared to other players that can get us over the top, I was thinking to myself well yes his services are in high demand so the cost or the asking price is going to be high but do we really want to go after him at that cost when we can find someone better that will take us to the top.

If your using his performance tonight against him....I can't help you. Who's better right now that's available? 

1 minute ago, maxjusttyped said:

Fangraphs has Gio tied for 5th in projected WAR for the rest of this season. Aside from Gerrit Cole & Bieber, there's no healthy pitcher I think you can argue is *clearly* a better option Giolito. If the Sox can't feel comfortable with him in a playoff game, okay, but that means only 2 AL teams have *any* pitchers they can feel good about then too.

Jack thinks you need an experienced veteran to succeed in the playoffs, but not an experienced veteran like Keuchel because those kind sucks.

If you don't have Gerrit Cole, you might as well just not show up apparently.

• Like 1

Just now, fathom said:

I like Stiever (who was the third, not Collins) and Adolfo has more potential than any of the other outfielders in the system.

I think some, including myself, thought you were saying the proposed Dunning, Collins and Adolfo trade a poster had spoken on was what your issue was with

• Like 1

Just for kicks because some people seem to think 2019 with Cole/Scherzer/Verlander/Stras is the norm.

In 2018, of starters who made at least 3 starts in the post-season the lowest ERA's were as follows:

1. Wade Miley (1.23)
2. Jouhlys Chacin (1.46)
3. Rich Hill (2.16)

Enough of the only elite electric arms win games in the playoffs.

31 minutes ago, Jack Parkman said:

No, we don't. I just don't think now is the time to make a move. At this point I'd rather throw money at SP this winter where there will be bargains to be had. Hopefully Jerry is on the same page. 

The only page Jerry is on is the we're losing money and slash payroll page. You're the one who had the Scrooge McDuck moniker for him.

• Love 1

I am really torn on this. I do think that the time could be right to take a real run at things but I am not sure any of the names that seem available are the guy to put us over the top. I think to have a chance both this year and next we need a true TOR starter and I don't really see one available. Lynn look pretty good but I am not sure if he is enough. Ray shouldn't even be looked at. Bundy seems to have emerged but is it for real? deGrom seems to be the only real difference maker to me and I doubt he is available. 

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

The only page Jerry is on is the we're losing money and slash payroll page. You're the one who had the Scrooge McDuck moniker for him.

If there's any thought that he might want to stand pat or slash payroll Hahn shouldn't be trading prospects. 

Jerry will spend when the team is contending under normal circumstances. He'd rather spread $300M over 4-5 guys over the actual window than on one guy over a decade. He proved that in the 2000s. 

Edited by Jack Parkman

Just now, Jack Parkman said:

If there's any thought that he might want to stand pat or slash payroll Hahn shouldn't be trading prospects. 

The Sox (seemingly) being aggressive at the deadline gives me confidence that Reinsdorf won't be looking to slash payroll like our worst fears would lead us to believe.

But perhaps that is just wishful thinking.

• Like 1