Realistic trade candidates AKA The Lynnsanity Thread

Orlando

If people are thinking about this years playoffs, you need to remember the 28 man roster.  The last few years have seen teams succeed well with one time thru the lineup strategies.  With the 28 man roster that will be easier to do than in years past.  We don't have a lot of guys you are going to pinch hit for.  Our switches will be for defense or maybe pinch running.  Giolitto and Kuechel give you two solid pitchers.  Cease has the stuff by seasons end maybe he is your third.  Often you only need three.  If baseball goes to the bubble for playoffs, maybe you don't have all the off days and need more.  But if you go one time through the lineup, Gio Gonzales, Lopez, Rodon creates mismatches or forces teams to pinch hit early etc. and could be quite successful.

Longer term, the cost of an ace is huge.  Your best bet is to constantly develop them.  Thats why I hold Kopech as he has ace potential.  Giolitto can be a free agent after the 2023 season.  If the rebuild has taught us anything is it is you need a ton of pitching depth in prospects as not all will develop or they may be derailed by injury.  The biggest market inefficiency that I see now is that starting pitching is paid at a higher rate than ever while each year pitching less innings than ever.  I think you can make the case that if a pitcher doesn't sign the team friendly extension early in his career you treat him like a running back in the NFL.  That is callous and cruel but it may fit the economic reality.  It may be wiser to build better bullpens and churn thru starters.  Our team operates on a budget whether we like it or not.  We have a core group of position players signed that looks great.  I expect McCann to leave for playing time so Collins serves a purpose longer term.  The future is bright and the window is open.  Don't start closing the window by getting over excited now and depleting the pitching depth we will need.

Edited by BamaDoc
  • Like 1

24 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

I just don’t see why either of those guys would be available right now short of a massive overpay.

Out of curiosity, what do you consider a proper or overpay for Woodruff? He intrigues me more than Lynn.

I can't see them moving him either. Unless they want to do a mini rebuild on the fly.... And I don't want any part of Hader given the price for him.

6 minutes ago, Sarava said:

Out of curiosity, what do you consider a proper or overpay for Woodruff? He intrigues me more than Lynn.

I can't see them moving him either. Unless they want to do a mini rebuild on the fly.... And I don't want any part of Hader given the price for him.

What would you want for Giolito and then factor in Woodruff has one more year of control.

I am still trying to figure out why the Brewers would be selling off Woodruff and/or Hader. They are in the playoffs as of now even with a pretty bad start.

i jokingly said Dunning’s start was a showcase. But in reality it may be. The White Sox are on of the teams that do not participate in sharing a feed from their Alternate site. 

4 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

I mean they got 2 solid prospects from a super deep Padres org for Mitch Moreland. That’s a pretty big win. 

Moreland is having a big year and has a $3 million team option for next season. The prospects were rated #16 and #19 in San Diego’s system. 

Edited by Dick Allen

6 minutes ago, BamaDoc said:

If people are thinking about this years playoffs, you need to remember the 28 man roster.  The last few years have seen teams succeed well with one time thru the lineup strategies.  With the 28 man roster that will be easier to do than in years past.  We don't have a lot of guys you are going to pinch hit for.  Our switches will be for defense or maybe pinch running.  Giolitto and Kuechel give you two solid pitchers.  Cease has the stuff by seasons end maybe he is your third.  Often you only need three.  If baseball goes to the bubble for playoffs, maybe you don't have all the off days and need more.  But if you go one time through the lineup, Gio Gonzales, Lopez, Rodon creates mismatches or forces teams to pinch hit early etc. and could be quite successful.

Longer term, the cost of an ace is huge.  Your best bet is to constantly develop them.  Thats why I hold Kopech as he has ace potential.  Giolitto can be a free agent after the 2023 season.  If the rebuild has taught us anything is it is you need a ton of pitching depth in prospects as not all will develop or they may be derailed by injury.  The biggest market inefficiency that I see now is that starting pitching is paid at a higher rate than ever while each year pitching less innings than ever.  I think you can make the case that if a pitcher doesn't sign the team friendly extension early in his career you treat him like a running back in the NFL.  That is callous and cruel but it may fit the economic reality.  It may be wiser to build better bullpens and churn thru starters.  Our team operates on a budget whether we like it or not.  We have a core group of position players signed that looks great.  I expect McCann to leave for playing time so Collins serves a purpose longer term.  The future is bright and the window is open.  Don't start closing the window by getting over excited now and depleting the pitching depth we will need.

This is a great post.  However, where I disagree is on the viability of our rotation come October.  Cease to me is no better than your 4th starter in the playoffs.  If we don’t add a legit #2 or #3, we are basically setting ourselves up for failure.  That doesn’t mean go trade Kopech for Lynn, but if there is a way to trade some depth for a guy that can anchor the top of our rotation this year and in 2021 that would be ideal as Cease & Kopech will likely need more time before they are ready to assume those top few spots.  Ultimately we need to balance both short-term & long-term interests and be willing to limit our chances this year if the value prop of a potential trade moves the needle too much in one direction.

Cease isn’t going to get away with walking 5 or 6 guys in a playoff game. The Sox are sort on pitching. They do need at least one starter, and does anyone really think Foster, Detwiler and Marshall will continue to be nails? The cracks are starting to show in the bullpen. They have been great, but they are not as good as they have performed.

• Like 1

Thanks CWS!  I am still not sure our young hitters will handle good pitching this year which is another reason I hesitate.  What we don't know is the status of Bummer.  We are really starting to see and feel his absence.  If we know he is out for the year, it again makes me hesitate.  I have dreamed about how fun a bullpen with Hader and Bummer(Both healthy and effective) could be for the next four years.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Sarava said:

Dane Dunning might be the most likely to have a successful career from the list you posted. Kopech's celing is miles higher, but there's side issues with him including the amount of contractual control left.

But back to Dane - the guy has been nothing but good since the Sox acquired him. He was rolling through the minors until his TJ surgery came up. His poise blew me away from his first start. I want to see more.

I would absolutely move Kelly or Crochet before Dunning, though those 2 are untradable until after the World Series. I would also move our two 2 pitching prospects from the 2019 draft in Thompson (not on your list) and Dalquist, before Dunning.

And here's where I disagree with the window from 2022 onward. The Sox could win the World Series this year, even without trading for Lance Lynn. Is it likely....probably not. It's probably not likely even with him. But it can happen. The window has opened. But I absolutely do not support slamming the door shut early on the rebuild window just to slightly improve our chances the first year or two.

This is just fans being impatient and nothing more.

Oh please ,every year we make the playoffs is a chance to be champs. Also every year we have that chance hard decisions will have to be made to improve our chances in the off season or trade deadline due to injuries or non performance of key pieces or the learning curves and inning limits or bust potential of the young pitchers. Will those choices be nothing more than impatience? Oh another thing to keep in mind is Giolito is  a FA  after 2023 then he has to be replaced so waiting presents it's own set of problems.

Edited by CaliSoxFanViaSWside

15 minutes ago, Sarava said:

If I’m the Brewers, I’m probably asking for Vaughn, Kopech, & Dunning bare minimum as you’re asking me to punt the 2020 season.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Chicago White Sox said:

If I’m the Brewers, I’m probably asking for Vaughn, Kopech, & Dunning bare minimum as you’re asking me to punt the 2020 season.

I don’t understand why they would consider trading him. He’s good, controlled, cheap, and if the season ended today they are in the playoffs. If he is readily available, it seems they think he cannot keep doing what he is doing.