Realistic trade candidates AKA The Lynnsanity Thread

Orlando

I want to find the possibility of getting a SP and RP package for Collins, Stiever and another fringe guy like Sheets, Rutherford, Gonzalez, Yermin...maybe nothing worth while out there but that’s about the max I’m willing to give up right now unless someone like Clevinger is on the table. 

Just now, fathom said:

I won’t be upset no matter who the Padres get. There’s no one in particular I have my heart set on

Well getting anyone from Cleveland was just asinine to me atleast. I don't think it would ever happen even though Hahn may have called them. It's cool to think about but that's about it. 

Just now, YouCanPutItOnTheBoardYES! said:

I’m just so afraid of the Sox making a shortsighted trade. Being a Sox fan has conditioned me to expect the worst in any scenario

Shortsighted? The only World Series that is guaranteed is the current one. I’m not saying to sell the farm here but you have a chance to make damage in the playoffs with this team by adding a competent RF and Another Top tier pitcher. 

Considering Lynn has a 9.6 WAR since the beginning of last season, I have a hard time imagining the Padres making a bigger splash than that. Some people don't seem to realize how good a pitcher Lynn is. Add him to the Sox, its debatable who the number one starter would be.

2 minutes ago, HahnsKiddieTable said:

Shortsighted? The only World Series that is guaranteed is the current one. I’m not saying to sell the farm here but you have a chance to make damage in the playoffs with this team by adding a competent RF and Another Top tier pitcher. 

I don’t want to mortgage the future at the expense of just this season. The Sox are in a good position to contend for a long time and I don’t want to ruin that by making a trade for the immediate short term.

Just now, YouCanPutItOnTheBoardYES! said:

I don’t want to mortgage the future at the expense of just this season. The Sox are in a good position to contend for a long time and I don’t want to ruin that by making a trade for the immediate short term.

It depends what you are giving up. Punting on positions of need in a season where you have a legit shot of going far in could be shortsighted. We aren’t in the spot of previous years where we were making moves to get to the playoffs. This is potentially setting you up for playoff success. I think it’s okay to shop a couple pieces here

5 minutes ago, YouCanPutItOnTheBoardYES! said:

The goal of acquiring prospects and rebuilding is to win. If you have a chance now you go for it. This isn’t a Sox team of the past where they are barely above .500 and a few games out yet buy. This is a legit threat. No perpetual rebuild. There is not one player not named TA, Moncada, Eloy, Robert or Giolito that would “mortgage the future” not one.

Edited by Orlando
  • Thanks 1

They can have Lance Lynn. Regardless of how solid he’s been for the past year or so, I really don’t trust former Cardinal pitchers... he just screams #3 type pitcher to me... and he’s going to be 34... I just wouldn’t give up significant assets for him. That being said, I hope the Padres are stupid enough to give up Mackenzie Gore for him

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, YouCanPutItOnTheBoardYES! said:

I’m just so afraid of the Sox making a shortsighted trade. Being a Sox fan has conditioned me to expect the worst in any scenario

Lynn would seriously bolster the Sox' chance of winning two world series, when they are otherwise in good position to do that. The Sox could give up the farm without killing the rebuild. Most of the pieces are already in place. If they can do it without giving up Vaughn or Dunning, I say strike while the iron is hot.

3 minutes ago, Vulture said:

Lynn would seriously bolster the Sox' chance of winning two world series, when they are otherwise in good position to do that. The Sox could give up the farm without killing the rebuild. Most of the pieces are already in place. If they can do it without giving up Vaughn or Dunning, I say strike while the iron is hot.

Some Sox fans don’t want to trade prospects under any circumstances. I don’t fall into that group. I realize that you have to give talent to get talent. I just want Hahn to be smart about this. If he can get Lynn with Stiever as the centerpiece going the other way, then I’m fine with that. But giving up Dunning, Stiever, Adolfo, and more for a year and a month of Lynn is just a scary proposition to me.

Edited by YouCanPutItOnTheBoardYES!

Just now, Soxnfins said:

They can have Lance Lynn. Regardless of how solid he’s been for the past year or so, I really don’t trust former Cardinal pitchers... he just screams #3 type pitcher to me... and he’s going to be 34... I just wouldn’t give up significant assets for him. That being said, I hope the Padres are stupid enough to give up Mackenzie Gore for him

Take a look at world series team rosters, they are chock full of starting pitchers 34+ years old. #3 pitcher? Maybe if you are the 2019 Nationals. This is definitely the kind of guy you want on a playoff roster.

• Like 1

I hope no trade gets done if it involves our top 6-8 prospects. There is no way you can tell me that making the trade would guarantee a championship. All these players are only under control through next year. The prospects we have through the top 6-8 are way more valuable than 1 year. We have too many rookies to go through a tough playoff road to expect a win without lots of ups and downs. If you could guarantee it, I would do it.

This is the same like 2 years ago when everyone hated this rebuild even though we just started it. Everything has to take its course. We have at least a 6 year window to win now, thanks to holding the course. That’s with all the prospects we have. No way do I ruin it by making a trade for players that expire next year. 

Just now, Drwhoo1 said:

I hope no trade gets done if it involves our top 6-8 prospects. There is no way you can tell me that making the trade would guarantee a championship. All these players are only under control through next year. The prospects we have through the top 6-8 are way more valuable than 1 year. We have too many rookies to go through a tough playoff road to expect a win without lots of ups and downs. If you could guarantee it, I would do it.

This is the same like 2 years ago when everyone hated this rebuild even though we just started it. Everything has to take its course. We have at least a 6 year window to win now, thanks to holding the course. That’s with all the prospects we have. No way do I ruin it by making a trade for players that expire next year. 

We already have the core of the next six years on the major league roster, aside from Vaughn. No way you can guarantee any of those prospects will help us win, or the loss of them prevent it either. If we need another starter two years from now, there are other ways of acquiring one.