Realistic trade candidates AKA The Lynnsanity Thread

Orlando

17 minutes ago, HahnsKiddieTable said:

I believe when he didn’t show to camp coop commented with something along the lines of his mental health hopefully being okay or something like that 

And coop is his pitching coach, so he has intel on him. It could be possible they'd rather trade Kopech if they believe his heart or mind isn't completely with baseball. 

4 minutes ago, SonofaRoache said:

And coop is his pitching coach, so he has intel on him. It could be possible they'd rather trade Kopech if they believe his heart or mind isn't completely with baseball. 

I think it's more likely the Sox have too many guys passing him and can't really wait on him to arrive. Kopech is going to need to be eased into starting after such a long layoff. I think we'd be lucky to see him next year. That might be more beneficial for a retooling or rebuilding team than the Sox who need more absolute certainties.

1 hour ago, SonofaRoache said:

Does anyone think ojr front office may have soured on Kopech and his sitting out is a big deal? Not saying this is a certainty but Cooper's comments were telling. 

No I don’t think so. Plus if the Sox did do you think any other team would want to give us much in return? 

28 minutes ago, CWSpalehoseCWS said:

I think it's more likely the Sox have too many guys passing him and can't really wait on him to arrive. Kopech is going to need to be eased into starting after such a long layoff. I think we'd be lucky to see him next year. That might be more beneficial for a retooling or rebuilding team than the Sox who need more absolute certainties.

I think he will be ready in 2021. Remember we should have a full Spring Training 

37 minutes ago, elrockinMT said:

I think he will be ready in 2021. Remember we should have a full Spring Training 

Should is the key word there. And even if he looks ready to go, he's going to be on some sort of limit. They aren't going to throw him out there with a normal workload expectation. I don't think you can count on Kopech for 2021, and I'm that's coming from a big fan of his.

4 minutes ago, CWSpalehoseCWS said:

Should is the key word there. And even if he looks ready to go, he's going to be on some sort of limit. They aren't going to throw him out there with a normal workload expectation. I don't think you can count on Kopech for 2021, and I'm that's coming from a big fan of his.

He will work his way back in the minors - but that is okay and will get a service year back. He will be working out etc and should be in fine shape. Why wouldn’t we want a talent like that to help support this young team filled with elite talent. 

Did I mention he has better stuff than anyone on the club - and it isn’t even close either. 

Just now, Chisoxfn said:

He will work his way back in the minors - but that is okay and will get a service year back. He will be working out etc and should be in fine shape. Why wouldn’t we want a talent like that to help support this young team filled with elite talent. 

Did I mention he has better stuff than anyone on the club - and it isn’t even close either. 

I'm not saying he isn't talented. What I'm saying is I could totally see why the Sox would trade him for someone who can help the team this year and all of next year. IMO, Kopech has become a piece for 2022-onward and is more in the realm of the Stiever, Thompson, Dalquist, Crochett, and Kelley group. That doesn't mean he doesn't have any future value, but I do think it might make him more expendable for the FO, especially because there are quite a few questions surrounding him at the moment.

5 hours ago, SonofaRoache said:

Coop leaking that mental health thing really hurt the sox here. Teams will leverage that in trade talks to suppress his value.

Really dumb by coop unless he is a genius and knows kopech is the next randy johnson and he wants to force the FO to keep him:).

I feel like Robbie Ray would be the most likely pitcher given the fact that he'd keep the MLB team fairly intact and he'd be an easy #4 guy now that Cease looks to be okay in the #3 slot.

Robbie Ray and maybe Kole Calhoun for Stiever, Fry, Collins, and Luis Gonzalez?

4 minutes ago, knightni said:

I feel like Robbie Ray would be the most likely pitcher given the fact that he'd keep the MLB team fairly intact and he'd be an easy #4 guy now that Cease looks to be okay in the #3 slot.

The question is, if you don't like Cishek, if you don't like Fry, if you don't like Lopez, if you don't like Rodon, why would you like Robbie Ray?

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, knightni said:

are you kidding me?  those are bad players.

4 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

The question is, if you don't like Cishek, if you don't like Fry, if you don't like Lopez, if you don't like Rodon, why would you like Robbie Ray?

Ray can start. These other guys can't. 

He's only 28, and has past success.

I'm not against Rodon, but he's not healthy.

I'd be fine with Lopez, but he's been struggling this year and can't get more than 3 innings per start.

Fry has shown that he's the last option in this bullpen and Cishek is one of the oldest and least effective guys on the roster.

Even if he sucks, Ray is a lefty who has an option to start. At worst, he's Gio Gonzalez with less miles on the tires.

Calhoun is at least a better option power-wise than Mazara, and he can play RF - unlike Marte.

34 minutes ago, knightni said:

Woah, no chance I am giving up Stiever for Ray and Calhoun. Seems like a super steep package for those two.

I agree with the premise tho.

9 hours ago, SonofaRoache said:

I thought it was pretty clear in context that Coop literally didn't (yet) know why Kopech had opted out and was worried about him based on the same public information we all had on his past.

2 minutes ago, Jake said:

I thought it was pretty clear in context that Coop literally didn't (yet) know why Kopech had opted out and was worried about him based on the same public information we all had on his past.

That's my point. When something goes on with Kopech they may instantly worry about his mental. I question if they no longer want to be concerned with that or think he may eventually call it quits. 

12 minutes ago, knightni said:

I'm not sure that Arizona would accept Dalquist or someone lesser.

I think Arizona would literally give us Robby Ray and Kole Calhoun. They’re both impending FA. Ray has been awful this year, and Calhoun is the meh player he’s always been. 

I think a Collins and Gonzalez type return would be more than enough for those two. And frankly - id prefer that to trading any of Vaughn/Kopech/Madrigal/Dunning unless we’re getting a long term asset like Woodruff. 

Just now, ChiSox59 said:

I think Arizona would literally give us Robby Ray and Kole Calhoun. They’re both impending FA. Ray has been awful this year, and Calhoun is the meh player he’s always been. 

I think a Collins and Gonzalez type return would be more than enough for those two. And frankly - id prefer that to trading any of Vaughn/Kopech/Madrigal/Dunning unless we’re getting a long term asset like Woodruff. 

I'd be fine with trading less if it could happen; I believe that Calhoun isn't a FA until after 2021 though.

Ray struck out 235 in 174 IP last year - This is his worst season in his entire career - and it's only 7 starts.

He's had three 200 K seasons and he's only 28.

1 minute ago, knightni said:

I'd be fine with trading less if it could happen; I believe that Calhoun isn't a FA until after 2021 though.

Ray struck out 235 in 174 IP last year - This is his worst season in his entire career - and it's only 7 starts.

Ohh yeah, I forgot the Dbacks gave Calhoun a 2 year deal. Blehhh...don’t really want him around next year, TBH. 

I agree on Ray. I like him a lot, said as much many times here. I think he’s a great target now, and this offseason as well. But Dbacks can’t expect to get much from him as he’s controlled for a month, he’s been walking the world and has an era approaching 8. Definitely aren’t getting a Stiever type prospect for him, IMO. 

19 minutes ago, knightni said:

Isn’t Ray’s velocity down quite a bit this year?

10 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

Isn’t Ray’s velocity down quite a bit this year?

He's had issues with too many walks in the past - maybe the D'Backs coaches were tweaking him and it's not worked.

https://www.cbssports.com/mlb/news/robbie-rays-redesigned-arm-action-hasnt-worked-out-so-far-in-his-final-season-before-free-agency/