Realistic trade candidates AKA The Lynnsanity Thread

Orlando

1 hour ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Jim Bowden from the Athletic has a trade he’d like to see every team make.  For the Sox, he has Dunning & Stiever for Lynn.  As much as I’d love to add a guy like Lynn, Dunning is more or less an untouchable for me.

Thank you. I agree completely! Not for a year plus control. Dunning has a high floor. Could be a #3 at least a #4 for 5 - 6 yrs. That's too much. Dunning was a top 100 prospect 2 years ago. If the minors were open for business I think Stiever would creep in top 100.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Jim Bowden from the Athletic has a trade he’d like to see every team make.  For the Sox, he has Dunning & Stiever for Lynn.  As much as I’d love to add a guy like Lynn, Dunning is more or less an untouchable for me.

I would rather have Dunning or Stiever enter the rotation now than make this deal.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, iWiN4PreP said:

DeGrom would be my ideal candidate as well. He's maybe the only one in the league I'd be willing to give up worthy pieces for.

My stance is more a long the lines of there isn't much of anything out there that makes us better than what we have, especially mid to long term. 

Agreed. Degrom, Giolito, Keuchel, Cease, Dunning would probably be the top rotation in baseball? Mets are sinking fast

2 hours ago, Tony said:

Yeah, you can’t do that deal. The Sox are making the playoffs, unless something catastrophic happens. And while I understand they are “playoff starts”, I’m not removing most of this organizations “pitching depth” for 3-4 important starts in a very weird 2020z just too much risk/uncertainty there. 

Agree 100%

Deals like that are for one year wonders or teams at the back end of a window.

Edited by Look at Ray Ray Run

3 hours ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Hell no to Dunning and Stiever for 36 starts of Lance Lynn 

Both of those guys are unknowns, but are each also close to MLB ready and have tons of cheap control

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, TomPickle said:

Count me among those that would definitely trade Dane Dunning for the 3rd best pitcher in baseball since the start of 2019.

lance lynn.png

Wasn't Jose Quintana at one point the 6th best pitcher in baseball over a 2 year span, left handed, and under control for several years?

We wouldn't be giving up Eloy and Cease, but things can fall apart, especially with Lynn's age.

50 minutes ago, TomPickle said:

Count me among those that would definitely trade Dane Dunning for the 3rd best pitcher in baseball since the start of 2019.

lance lynn.png

Problem with Lynn is he's peaked, and what you're likely getting is a steady decline and with his age and build/body, it could all come unraveling sooner. Although being a fat ass as a pitcher does have it's positives 

Edited by Look at Ray Ray Run

9 minutes ago, Quin said:

Wasn't Jose Quintana at one point the 6th best pitcher in baseball over a 2 year span, left handed, and under control for several years?

We wouldn't be giving up Eloy and Cease, but things can fall apart, especially with Lynn's age.

Wasn't Jake Arrietta really bad and then got traded for a bag of balls and then he was really good? We should probably just trade for a bad pitcher instead because I can think of a single instance where that worked out.

Sox have a great problem to have:  too many good arms for too few rotation spots.  Yes, Rodon is a free agent soon and Lopez could be moved to the bullpen, but that still leaves only 2 spots in the rotation for Dunning, Kopech, Stiever, and Crochet, with Kelly, Thompson, and Dalquist not that far behind.  Some of those guys are getting dealt.  It's inevitable.  If you have an opportunity to get DeGrom for a package of a couple of those guys, I think you have to go for it.

6 minutes ago, Perfect Vision said:

Sox have a great problem to have:  too many good arms for too few rotation spots.  Yes, Rodon is a free agent soon and Lopez could be moved to the bullpen, but that still leaves only 2 spots in the rotation for Dunning, Kopech, Stiever, and Crochet, with Kelly, Thompson, and Dalquist not that far behind.  Some of those guys are getting dealt.  It's inevitable.  If you have an opportunity to get DeGrom for a package of a couple of those guys, I think you have to go for it.

Wow I don't feel that at all. Sox have 2 great pitchers right now, and a number of guys with talent that aren't proven or consistent. 

A 3rd consistent, good pitcher would do wonders. For one, gets Lopez to either force his way into rotation through production or allow us to keep him as an opener/ bullpen piece.

4 minutes ago, bmags said:

Wow I don't feel that at all. Sox have 2 great pitchers right now, and a number of guys with talent that aren't proven or consistent. 

A 3rd consistent, good pitcher would do wonders. For one, gets Lopez to either force his way into rotation through production or allow us to keep him as an opener/ bullpen piece.

Yeah this is how I feel too. Right now we're still riding the lightning with Cease. We have alot of starts that are toss ups. The offense can't bail out Lopez or Gio if we get 2-3 bad starts in a row from them each time. We need someone like Lynn right in the middle of this rotation. This team would go deep in the playoffs with that setup. Right now atleast for me anybody should be on the table trade wise in that regard. Let's do some damage in the playoffs. 

Edited by Baron

Call me crazy, but there are a list of factors at play here.

#1, we don't know for sure if there will be a baseball playoffs this year.

#2, we have no idea if baseball next year will even happen, or if it does, what it will look like.

#3, Lynn is a free agent in a season and a month. 

#4, We are not in the part of the window where we should be mortgaging short term gain for long term losses.  I would rather not have Lynn, than give up a lot of significant future pieces for him.

#5, even if we come up short this year, I am willing to do that in order to hold the future together.  If I am giving up real pieces for a pitcher, I want at least 3 years of control in exchange.

• Like 3