Realistic trade candidates AKA The Lynnsanity Thread

Orlando

4 hours ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

Only one way to see if they accept it. Chicago White Sox says they accept it in a heartbeat.  You say you doubt it.All depends on the other offers .

Who else would offer a top 30ish prospect for a year & change of a 33 year old, overweight pitcher in the middle of a pandemic fueled season?  I love Lynn but dude is getting to that point in his career where he could just fall off a cliff and that’s ignoring the obvious threat of “what if he contracts COVID” and were to miss an extended stretch of time.  Trading Kopech is an all-in move that likely jeopardizes the most important years ahead of us.  Our team is a year ahead of the curve, but we’re still not a finished product.  We do NOT need to make a massive move this year if it costs us key long-term pieces.  We can always roll with what we got and look to make moves during the 2020-21 offseason.  That being said, if depth can be traded to improve our chances this year then I’m all for it, but Kopech should only be moved for a guy that can help at least both 2021 & 2022 in addition to this year.

• Like 4

44 minutes ago, Capital G said:

im surprised people are willing to trade any of our top people for Lynn. He is 33. Dont get me wrong, he is good, but I would not trade any significant pieces for him. 

This is exactly where I'm at. Lynn's having a career year at 33. Good for him, but it might be a bit of smoke and mirrors. His FIP is pretty close to being in line with his career average (which is good, but not ace level) and that's nearly 2 full runs higher than his ERA right now.

I just can't believe how little people are expecting in return for 6 years of Kopech.

5 minutes ago, oneofthemikes said:

This is exactly where I'm at. Lynn's having a career year at 33. Good for him, but it might be a bit of smoke and mirrors. His FIP is pretty close to being in line with his career average (which is good, but not ace level) and that's nearly 2 full runs higher than his ERA right now.

I just can't believe how little people are expecting in return for 6 years of Kopech.

Hard to call it a career year when he put up a 7 win season last year after adding / increasing the use of his cutter and leveraging analytics to improve his pitch sequencing.  Also, FIP is not park adjusted and the Rangers’ park is incredibly favorable to hitters (hence the high fWAR).

1 hour ago, CWSpalehoseCWS said:

Any reason to be more concerned? If it continues does that suggest that there could be a more serious cause for why it happened in the first place?

Yes. Just a cramp or mild strain doesn't take 2 weeks. Could still be just a strain but a more significant one. It doesn't mean it will impact his future but the longer it takes to "resolve" the longer it's going to take to get back into game readiness.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Orlando said:

😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂

This dude is a fucking idiot.  First off, Cease is way more valuable than Kelley or Stiever and you could make a fair argument he’s more valuable than Madrigal (I know I would).  Second, Kopech was the 2nd piece received in a package for a young, controlled-controlled, left-handed ace and has morphed into one of the game’s top pitching prospects.  To think you’d get him plus another high-end asset for a year & change of Lynn is the definition of insanity.  Who is the last pitcher that was traded that would be comparable to Lynn?

16 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Hard to call it a career year when he put up a 7 win season last year after adding / increasing the use of his cutter and leveraging analytics to improve his pitch sequencing.  Also, FIP is not park adjusted and the Rangers’ park is incredibly favorable to hitters (hence the high fWAR).

I was wondering about that, how has their new park played? Too early?

2 minutes ago, turnin' two said:

I think I've have gotten to the point where I just want the deadline to pass without doing anything stupid. 

Same here.  Giving up a boatload of prospects for Lynn is nuts.  Get Dunning back on the roster, start him (if he is healthy, of course), and forget about Lance Lynn.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

These trade props I see for Lynn (from both Sox AND Rangers fans' perspectives) are borderline ludicrous. I've never seen different fanbases value the same player so wildly differently. Rangers fans think they're getting some unlucky franchise's top 4 prospects, and I just hope it won't be us. 

I'll very interested to see what Texas finally gets for him and wait to see their fans' reactions 🐸

8 minutes ago, Baron said:

Why not? I'd do that. That's a fair deal for Lynn. 

I think Dunning by himself shows more return over the next few years. The Sox do not need to be in the sacrifice the future to win now mode. They've spent 4 years on this rebuild. Don't get impatient now.

Edited by ptatc
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, ptatc said:

I think Dunning by himself shows more return over the next few years. The Sox do not need to be in the sacrifice the future to win now mode. They've spent 4 years on this rebuild. Don't get impatient now.

Strong agree. I'd much rather stand pat than throw in big on a season that may or may not finish.

3 minutes ago, ptatc said:

Completely agree.  Dunning sure looked like he was about ready to contribute right now.  Cease looks to be on the cusp of figuring stuff out.  I don't understand why you'd trade either for a guy that was a pretty run of the mill pitcher until last season.  I know he made some changes, but honestly I don't trust that Lance Lynn is one of the best 10ish starters in the game.  And even if he is, he is in his mid 30's, and has 1 year on his contract.  If the Sox are trading Dunning or Cease, much less both, then they have to be getting a long term stud in return.  Because those guys could provide a heck of a lot of good innings over the next few seasons.  

Seriously, if anyone here had suggested trading 2 of the teams top 10ish prospects for a 33 year old pitcher over the winter... you'd have been tarred and feathered.  And I know it is different now, with where the team is, stil though, why mortgage what we've been so patient building for a season that could be cancelled at any moment?