Realistic trade candidates AKA The Lynnsanity Thread

Orlando

9 minutes ago, Jerksticks said:

I’m super scared we are going to make a KW go-for-it trade...even though historically the other team usually gets junk.  I just like ALL Of our prospects

Me too.  The depth in the system is starting the thin out a bit, and I think the team needs reinforcements for the next season or so, and they need trade capital for the next couple seasons.  Maybe I am going to much John Paxson here, but I don't think so.   If the Sox are trading a couple of their top level guys, I think they should get someone who will plug in for more of the future than a season and a month.  

I'd certainly trade for Lynn, but I think the most highly rated and closest guy I would trade would be Steiver.  

Edited by turnin' two
  • Like 1

46 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Hard to call it a career year when he put up a 7 win season last year after adding / increasing the use of his cutter and leveraging analytics to improve his pitch sequencing.  Also, FIP is not park adjusted and the Rangers’ park is incredibly favorable to hitters (hence the high fWAR).

That's fair. I'm just typically a little leery of guys that "figure it out" all of a sudden. I have a tough time thinking that we should cough up multiple prospects for a year and a month of a guy that was a mid-rotation guy until last season.

Giolito 

D.K.

Cease

Dunning

Can those four guys win in the playoffs? Is there a strong likelihood for us signing Bauer this offseason? Do we believe that there is another 2021 ready SP in our ranks already?

Answer those questions and you’ll find out if we’re getting someone like Bundy or Lynn by Monday.

3 minutes ago, bmags said:

Lynn has been a very good pitcher most of his career with really only one “bad” year that would have made him our second best starter last year (and it was his first in AL).

Dude has a career 3.5 ERA

I'm aware. All I'm saying is that his transformation kinda came out of nowhere. And the fact that he signed a 3/30 deal with the Rangers speaks to that. It wasn't like the league was falling all over itself to give him the deal that Wheeler got. He got paid like a mid-rotation guy because that's what he had been for his entire career. If the Sox believe that his adjustments have truly made him a top of the rotation guy then they should go get him. All I'm saying is that it makes ME nervous. And I don't get a vote, I'm just along for the ride.

Too bad Covid is around and the Tatis deal happened. Both are making Sox fans cling to prospects like newborns toa tete. If just Kopech gets you Lynn you do it.

You wait and wait for the rebuild to be finshed  to get it the playoffs to have team that can reach and win the World Series. What is Kopech going to contribute to the Sox this year and next ? Nothing . Innings limit next year. Two years of rust to shake off. Arm surgery. Trouble in his marriage. Opted out. Get the picture ? Things are unraveling for him. Yea he can still be good but when ?

I thought once the window opened and we were one piece away and one cheap piece like Lynn  you take your shot. HE'S not James Shields.

These are the same tough decisions the Cubs and Astros had to make. Both teams lost quality prospects in trades but won a World Series. There's almost no way to avoid that.

We are one good starter short . You all tell me how were going to get one who is a 1 or 2 right now . If you prefer to wait for  Cease, Lopez, Dunning we give up a shot at a ring this year and maybe next year too. Rebuild is over and as long there is baseball being played I'd like to think there will be a world series played.

Sucks to have our window open now but its wide open waiting to see if we have the guts to do what every team does that truly wants to be World Champs.

Edited by CaliSoxFanViaSWside
  • Like 1

16 minutes ago, hi8is said:

Giolito 

D.K.

Cease

Dunning

Can those four guys win in the playoffs? Is there a strong likelihood for us signing Bauer this offseason? Do we believe that there is another 2021 ready SP in our ranks already?

Answer those questions and you’ll find out if we’re getting someone like Bundy or Lynn by Monday.

No no and no but Uncle Jerry decides.

1 minute ago, hi8is said:

Giolito 

D.K.

Cease

Dunning

Here is your best options to go ALL out this season and for the future. Both are EXPENSIVE. Option 1 is MUCH more likely - Mets Probably won't make a trade. 
Option 1:
2020 - Giolito Lynn D.K. Cease Gonzalez/Lopez - Dunning & Stiever  BOTH are gone to to get Lynn (they dont want Madrigal, they have to pay Odor ridiculous contract)
2021 - Giolito Lynn D.K. Kopech Cease - Lynn is FA after
2022 - Giolito Kopech D.K. Cease Crochet/Thompson 
2023- Giolito Kopech D.K. Cease Crochet/Kelley

Option 2:
2020 - DeGrom Giolito D.K. Cease Gonzalez/Lopez - Kopech and Stiever are gone to get DeGrom + Collins and Adolpho
2021-  DeGrom Giolito D.K. Cease Dunning
2022 - DegGrom Giolito D.K. Cease Dunning/Crochet. - Extremely Expensive Salaries
2023 - DeGrom Giolito DK Cease Dunning/Crochet/Kelley.  Extremely Expensive Salaries, probably would have to trade one

Here is stand pat. This solution is MUCH cheaper but relies on signing either Bauer, Stroman or a lesser talent
Option 3:
2020 Giolito D.K. Cease Gonzalez Dunning/Lopez
2021 Giolito Bauer D.K. Cease Kopech/Dunning
2022 Giolito Kopech D.K. Dunning Stiever/Crochet (Maybe Bauer signs)
2023 Giolito Kopech D.K. Crochet/Dunning Kelly/Steiver

Which option is likely? Which option wins the most? 

• Like 2

some converging dynamics for Hahn/KW...
1) Sox just might be good enough to win it all this year, especially with the right addition(s)
2) Cubs might be good enough to win it all this year, especially if Darvish can keep pitching like Cy Young...does this add any incentive/urgency to go for?
3) Even if we add Lynn, is our BP to be trusted w/o Bummer? Is Colome the answer?

5 minutes ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

Too bad Covid is around and the Tatis deal happened. Both are making Sox fans cling to prospects like newborns toa tete. If just Kopech gets you Lynn you do it.

You wait and wait for the rebuild to be finshed  to get it the playoffs to have team that can reach and win the World Series. What is Kopech going to contribute to the Sox this year and next ? Nothing . Innings limit next year. Two years of rust to shake off. Arm surgery. Trouble in his marriage. Opted out. Get the picture ? Things are unraveling for him. Yea he can still be good but when ?

I thought once the window opened and we were one piece away and one cheap piece like Lynn  you take your shot. HE'S not James Shields.

These are the same tough decisions the Cubs and Astros had to make. Both teams lost quality prospects in trades but won a World Series. There's almost no way to avoid that.

We are one good starter short . You all tell me how were going to get one who is a 1 or 2 right now . If you prefer to wait for  Cease, Lopez, Dunning we give up a shot at a ring this year and maybe next year too. Rebuild is over and as long there is baseball being played I'd like to think there will be a world series played.

Sucks to have our window open now but its wide open waiting to see if we have the guts to do what every team does that truly wants to be World Champs.

This may be an unpopular opinion, but as of today I do not believe we are "one piece away".  While this team is a lot better, I don't see them as the top tier as of today.  They have the potential to get there with more experience and growth, but they are not there yet.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

This may be an unpopular opinion, but as of today I do not believe we are "one piece away".  While this team is a lot better, I don't see them as the top tier as of today.  They have the potential to get there with more experience and growth, but they are not there yet.

Would you agree we will make the playoffs this year ?

11 minutes ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

Would you agree we will make the playoffs this year ?

I have felt that we make the playoffs this year ever since the change to 16 teams.  My statement also wasn't to say that they can't win the WS this year.  But I 100% feel their best chances are '22-'25 as guys mature, pitching fills in, and young becomes experienced.

• Like 1

Talk of trading Madrigal/Kopech in any trade for Lynn is laughable.

Madrigal is our 2b, he's untouchable.

Kopech is untouchable unless your name is Jacob DeGrom.

If we are getting Lynn it's going to be for Stevier or lower level players. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Jerksticks said:

I’m super scared we are going to make a KW go-for-it trade...even though historically the other team usually gets junk.  I just like ALL Of our prospects

I genuinely can’t remember a prospect that KW traded to go for it that became a superstar. Rick Hahn on the other hand has plenty. Why does KW get this rap and not Rick?

Just now, southsider2k5 said:

I have felt that we make the playoffs this year ever since the change to 16 teams.  My statement also wasn't to say that they can't win the WS this year.  But I 100% feel their best chances are '22-'25 as guys mature, pitching fills in, and young becomes experienced.

Ok good so we will make the playoffs and you agree we can win the World Series this year and next year. 

What's the old saying ? Don't put off till tomorrow what you can do today. Hypothetically if just one player Kopech for Lynn you dont do it ? You give up on 20 and maybe 21 but want to take your best shots in 22-25 without losing a single prospect in a trade?  So 20 through 25 is the window 6 years but 2 of those years you decide we can win the World Series but do nothing to help them win it because 1 good piece isnt good enough to help them win the world series when you also said they are already good enough to win the world series.

It's very confusing what you said.

Just now, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

Ok good so we will make the playoffs and you agree we can win the World Series this year and next year. 

What's the old saying ? Don't put off till tomorrow what you can do today. Hypothetically if just one player Kopech for Lynn you dont do it ? You give up on 20 and maybe 21 but want to take your best shots in 22-25 without losing a single prospect in a trade?  So 20 through 25 is the window 6 years but 2 of those years you decide we can win the World Series but do nothing to help them win it because 1 good piece isnt good enough to help them win the world series when you also said they are already good enough to win the world series.

It's very confusing what you said.

I am saying this year, I think our odds are probably less than 10% of winning, and those odds increase as we get to 21, and then peak in those next few years.  With those odds, I am not willing to push all in for a slightly larger chance at winning, when we could use those assets down the line when we will have a much higher chance.

• Like 4