Realistic trade candidates AKA The Lynnsanity Thread

Orlando

1 hour ago, ptatc said:

JR is more likely to pay Bauer on the one year deals and he's younger and better.

Bauer will make more next year than the remaining year plus on Lynn's contract and Lynn is pitching better than Bauer now and did last year too.

If money is the bottom line with Jerry do you think he would rather use prospects as capital or cash ?

Dont blame me if the Sox won't pay for a top pitcher in the off season or end up trading prospects any way. Then I get to listen to " If we were going to trade a prospect or 2 why didnt we go for it last year for  Lynn?"

3 minutes ago, ptatc said:

The Cubs won one and fell off pretty rapidly afterwards only a couple of years of really being competitive. Trading Dunning will close the window earlier. We've seen him against MLB pitching and he looked good. Kopech will have 2 1/2 off so who knows what he will look like. Crochet is a total unknown. Kelley is a 19 year old kid and is at best 3 years away. I'd trade Kopech for Lynn but I wouldn't go much further with the pitching.

So if you're satisfied with a single World series and a rapid drop off, that's fine. I've seen that already after 2005. I'm looking for a 5-7 year window of really good competitive baseball. 

and the Cubs haven't been competitive since then? They are in it right now. We've seen Dunning pitch what once? He's just as much as an unknown as the others. 

Winning one World Series is hard enough. Lets start there. 

Edited by Baron
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Baron said:

and the Cubs haven't been competitive since then? They are in it right now. We've seen Dunning pitch what once? He's just as much as an unknown as the others. 

Obviously they were competitive (and fell apart the last couple of weeks) in 2018.

Last year, it seemed like the wheels were coming off and the writing was already on the wall with Maddon.

We're not in ANY position to criticize the type of run they had until we have a 4-5 consecutive year one of our own.

2 minutes ago, ptatc said:

The Cubs won one and fell off pretty rapidly afterwards only a couple of years of really being competitive. Trading Dunning will close the window earlier. We've seen him against MLB pitching and he looked good. Kopech will have 2 1/2 off so who knows what he will look like. Crochet is a total unknown. Kelley is a 19 year old kid and is at best 3 years away. 

So if you're satisfied with a single World series and a rapid drop off, that's fine. I've seen that already after 2005. I'm looking for a 5-7 year window of really good competitive baseball. 

I'd be happy being in a World World Series in 20 and/ or 21 and still having a good shot at more. You just said Kopech alone for Lynn would be fine didnt you ? So apparently you think that wouldn't hurt the future much.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

Obviously they were competitive (and fell apart the last couple of weeks) in 2018.

Last year, it seemed like the wheels were coming off and the writing was already on the wall with Maddon.

We're not in ANY position to criticize the type of run they had until we have a 4-5 consecutive year one of our own.

I'm not the one criticizing it at all. I'm simply saying if he's using them as an example of what not to do that's a pretty bad example. They traded for pieces and won a World Series. There's a chance they win one this year too. As much as we don't want to say it it's there. 

I like what they did. They saw the team growing by leaps and bounds so they fed the fire. Remember 2015? The spark was there. 2019 was for me that year. 

Edited by Baron

21 minutes ago, Baron said:

If we win the World Series this year after trading for Lynn I'm sure there will be a long line of people going "Yes we won the World Series....but Rick Hahn needs to be fired for trading Dunning. We needed him for 2022!". 

What's going to actually happen is Lynn gets traded to another team then we're going to hear "That's all it took ? We could've  beaten that !"

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, Baron said:

What's being impatient about trying to capitalize on the moment now? They have other guys waiting in the wings to pitch. We need someone in the middle of the rotation now. 

And its basically not the middle of order acquisition. Its top of rotation. Any one of LG, DK or Lynn can open a playoff series. All 3 of them probably are in the Top 10 candidates for AL Cy Young Award with Lynn right at the top.

Edited by CaliSoxFanViaSWside

who says no, assuming Mets go full rebuild

Mets Trade : DeGrom + Conforto 

White Sox trade: Kopech, Dunning, Stevier + a few others low level

we end up keeping Vaughn/Madrigal, get top starter, and bring in a left handed bat finalizing our offense for years to come

1 hour ago, Baron said:

I'm not the one criticizing it at all. I'm simply saying if he's using them as an example of what not to do that's a pretty bad example. They traded for pieces and won a World Series. There's a chance they win one this year too. As much as we don't want to say it it's there. 

I like what they did. They saw the team growing by leaps and bounds so they fed the fire. Remember 2015? The spark was there. 2019 was for me that year. 

The Cubs 2015 cannot be compared to our 2019. I do agree with you though. People forget the Cubs played in 3 straight NLCS'. 

2 minutes ago, iWiN4PreP said:

we end up keeping Vaughn/Madrigal, get top starter, and bring in a left handed bat finalizing our offense for years to come

If Degrom were 29 I'd make that trade. At 33, it is not as easy for me knowing Kopech can be a top 10 pitcher this decade. If the Sox feel Degrom would be really good for another 2 years minimum, like CY Young convo good, then I'd make that trade. 

5 minutes ago, iWiN4PreP said:

If I’m mets no way in hell im trading them without high level pos players back.

If I’m sox I do this 10x over

6 minutes ago, iWiN4PreP said:

I'm not sure the Mets make this trade. There is a high bust potential with that boom. They would probably go a safer route and bring in pitchers that have actually pitched somewhere. 

1 minute ago, Y2Jimmy0 said:

I'd trade Dunning and Stiever for Lance Lynn but I doubt that's enough honestly. 

Easily I’d trade that. 

any chance marlins trade their SP (Pablo Lopez?) Timeline May be more favorable to them to trade him now. 

3 minutes ago, SonofaRoache said:

I'm not sure the Mets make this trade. There is a high bust potential with that boom. They would probably go a safer route and bring in pitchers that have actually pitched somewhere. 

Yeah, I guess you are right, it would really have to include Madrigal (mets already set at 1b so no Vaughn)

Would have to be Kopech + Dunning + Stevier + Madrigal for instance 

2 hours ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

I'd be happy being in a World World Series in 20 and/ or 21 and still having a good shot at more. You just said Kopech alone for Lynn would be fine didnt you ? So apparently you think that wouldn't hurt the future much.

Correct. Trading only one piece won't hurt it much. For each top prospect they need to add to the trade it hurts the future competitiveness of the team.

1 hour ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

And its basically not the middle of order acquisition. Its top of rotation. Any one of LG, DK or Lynn can open a playoff series. All 3 of them probably are in the Top 10 candidates for AL Cy Young Award with Lynn right at the top.

Do you really think he can keep it going though? He is having a career year in many of his stats. I'm not convinced he can continue it.

2 hours ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

Bauer will make more next year than the remaining year plus on Lynn's contract and Lynn is pitching better than Bauer now and did last year too.

If money is the bottom line with Jerry do you think he would rather use prospects as capital or cash ?

Dont blame me if the Sox won't pay for a top pitcher in the off season or end up trading prospects any way. Then I get to listen to " If we were going to trade a prospect or 2 why didnt we go for it last year for  Lynn?"

And what do we do in 2022 when we have no cash or prospects under your scenario?

1 hour ago, iWiN4PreP said:

Man I dunno.  That's the sorta move I'd much rather make at the end of the contention window then the start.  As I've said I don't really think it's a time to push all the chips into the table.  Stay flexible and make a team come to you, not the other way around.

1 hour ago, iWiN4PreP said:

Probably the Mets.