Realistic trade candidates AKA The Lynnsanity Thread

Orlando

I can’t wait to see the reaction of some fans when the White Sox trade something of value to get better. I’ve been told on Twitter that people would be mad if the Sox traded: Cease, Dunning, Madrigal, Steiver, Kopech, MENDICK?, Vaughn (basically anyone that has any value whatsoever).

Edited by Orlando
  • Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, Orlando said:

I can’t wait to see the reaction of some fans when the White Sox trade something of value to get better. I’ve been told on Twitter that people would be mad if the Sox traded: Cease, Dunning, Madrigal, Steiver, Kopech, MENDICK?, Vaughn (basically anyone that has any value whatsoever).

Just depends what they’re trading them for.  Top 50 prospects usually only get moved for high-end controllable talent and four of the guys you listed fit the ball.  I’m not overly concerned about losing Stiever and especially not Mendick.  And I’d wouldn’t sleep over losing Dunning in the right trade even though I’d try avoiding moving him if at all possible.

• Like 1

Robbie Ray is an interesting name. Isn't Lynn a fly ball pitcher?( please correct me if I'm wrong) I would probably take either. I want running to get another shot. This is how the team grows. Loving heuer, burdi and foster in the pen. Only if jace could revert to form

2 hours ago, Orlando said:

It just depends on the return. Vaughn, Dunning, Kopech.  really talented veteran players were traded away for the best prospects in the game. Which led to 3-4 yrs of terrible basebal that led to high draft picks. Alot of pain and time went in to acquiring these prospects-To just trade away for a rental? Or veteran with a couple of years of control? Most of the time these trades don't work out big picture wise. And you very easily affect your competing years down the road.

Edited by smellysox
  • Like 2

39 minutes ago, Orlando said:

I can’t wait to see the reaction of some fans when the White Sox trade something of value to get better.

In the Hahn and late-Williams eras, these types of trades for veterans have made the Sox decidedly worse, not better.  Hopefully, they've improved with evaluation and negotiation.

Edited by GreenSox

35 minutes ago, Orlando said:

Every fanbase has a large faction of fans who hate trading away the prospects. I get it. The potential of good prospects is tantalizing. 

But at some point you do need to trade away some of your best chips to make it to the promised land. 

• Thanks 1

Just now, MiddleCoastBias said:

Red Sox reportedly willing to take on salary to move players like JDM and Eovaldi. Eovaldi is owed $17M in 2021 and 2022. He's dealing with a calf issue right now, but anyone see possible interest there?

I’d like some JDM but unless he can play RF there isn’t any room on the roster for him down the road and Hahn has already stated he is interested in long term pieces not rentals giving up the farm

I’m slowly warming to the idea of Lynn, even at a cost of a Dunning or another premium piece.  Everybody talks about the risk to 2022, but this team looks to have a bit of The Magic.  You can’t take that lightly.  There’s risk in not maximizing your chances in any season where you have a shot.  Look at the Cubs—2015 looked like a “year early” gravy season.  It wasn’t—it turned out it was one of their two best shots at a WS.  

All that said, don’t trade Kopech 😂

2 minutes ago, MiddleCoastBias said:

Red Sox reportedly willing to take on salary to move players like JDM and Eovaldi. Eovaldi is owed $17M in 2021 and 2022. He's dealing with a calf issue right now, but anyone see possible interest there?

Eovaldi has been atrocious with the red Sox. No thanks

2 minutes ago, Yearnin' for Yermin said:

Every fanbase has a large faction of fans who hate trading away the prospects. I get it. The potential of good prospects is tantalizing. 

But at some point you do need to trade away some of your best chips to make it to the promised land. 

There’s plenty of precedent showing young, talented teams going deep in the playoffs or winning chips without trading away any of that young talent. When you’ve got a plan, forecast, and road map as a GM, you don’t deviate unless something overwhelms.  Lane Lynn, and especially Robbie “ton of talent but can’t pitch” Ray, are not pieces so important to progress that you deviate from the plan, imo. 

9 minutes ago, MiddleCoastBias said:

I thought about Eovaldi before as a salary dump, but the problem is he’d more or less be your rotation addition for the next couple years and I don’t have enough confidence in him.