Realistic trade candidates AKA The Lynnsanity Thread

Orlando

4 minutes ago, Kalapse said:

The Sox giving Basabe away to the Giants was a good faith move, once the Giants are ready to move him the Sox will get Cueto for cheap.

How much money comes back with Cueto to subsidize?

Also please keep Shark away, we’ll take Gausman instead, por favor.

Edited by caulfield12

5 minutes ago, NotHahn said:

I think the need is really RF. SP would be nice but Mazara is killing us. Any other potential trade candidates for RF besides castellanos? Might need 2 outfielders if Eloy moves to DH/1B.

I don't think Castellanos is a trade  candidate. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Just now, fathom said:

Reds would have to really tank this week in order to be sellers

Yeah the NL sucks. Reds have been screwed over by COVID and weather multiple times over. They were as screwed as anyone from the COVID shutdown and since the league has reconvened their awful luck has continued. 

The should be interesting if they get a a 6/7/8 seed. Who wants to face Bauer/Gray/Castillo in a 3 game series?

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, raBBit said:

I don't think Castellanos is a trade  candidate. 

Agreed, and Castellanos is a poor fit for the Sox moving forward given his suspect defense

Mazara is likely the guy for 2020, and Sox can weigh bringing Mazara back, signing a FA or making a trade in the offseason for RF

3 minutes ago, raBBit said:

Yeah the NL sucks. Reds have been screwed over by COVID and weather multiple times over. They were as screwed as anyone from the COVID shutdown and since the league has reconvened their awful luck has continued. 

The should be interesting if they get a a 6/7/8 seed. Who wants to face Bauer/Gray/Castillo in a 3 game series?

So many teams are still technically in the playoff hunt that I do not see there being all that much excitement in terms of trade deadline deals. 

I am just going to say it.  If we really decide that Mazara isn't a fit this season, I would rather run Adam Engel out there most days and hope his changes hold up, but know we get gold glove D in RF, versus bringing in Castellanos, especially if he costs us even a decent prospect, let alone a good one.

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, steveno89 said:

Agreed, and Castellanos is a poor fit for the Sox moving forward given his suspect defense

Mazara is likely the guy for 2020, and Sox can weigh bringing Mazara back, signing a FA or making a trade in the offseason for RF

Not at this rate, that would be idiotic to at least not bring in serious competition...

10 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

I am just going to say it.  If we really decide that Mazara isn't a fit this season, I would rather run Adam Engel out there most days and hope his changes hold up, but know we get gold glove D in RF, versus bringing in Castellanos, especially if he costs us even a decent prospect, let alone a good one.

I've been saying this to my friends last couple days. I wouldn't be upset if we started seeing Engel in there more since defense would be improved and he would be hitting 8 or 9 (depending on where you want Madrigal in the lineup, but probably Engel 9th with Mendick in lineup).

Edited by soxfan2014

4 hours ago, ChiSox59 said:

Hard pass on trying to acquire Castellanos.  Guys, we need to play defense.  Eloy and Castellanos are two of the worst in the game.  Just say no - our defense would be locked in horrible through 2023.  

I could see this post coming from you from a mile away and I agree wholeheartedly.

2 minutes ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

I could see this post coming from you from a mile away and I agree wholeheartedly.

Its just frustrating to see people continue to disregard half the game.  Plus, the Reds just signed the dude and are trying to win.  They aren't going to trade him.  

• Like 2

Just now, ChiSox59 said:

Its just frustrating to see people continue to disregard half the game.  Plus, the Reds just signed the dude and are trying to win.  They aren't going to trade him.  

If you want to give up big innings in the playoffs and totally frustrate your pitchers and inflate their ERAs then Castellanos is your man with Eloy in the other corner.

6 hours ago, Orlando said:

How about taking a flyer on a recently DFA Hunter Pence ?

I would love to add Pence.  Have thought well of him since watching him with the Corpus Christi Hooks.  His All-Star years are behind him but very hard to believe there isn't a little left in the tank.

We need someone in RF that can play defense and offense. But more specifically defense. Robert as much as he wants can't run around the entire OF all games all year. We need a solid starter out there. 

Edited by Baron

5 hours ago, southsider2k5 said:

For the remaining 30 games, it wouldn't be the worst thing in the world. For next season, I'd hope we have a new face out there, whether that's Joc, one of the Mets LHHs, etc

1 hour ago, Baron said:

We need someone in RF that can play defense and offense. But more specifically defense. Robert as much as he wants can't run around the entire OF all games all year. We need a solid starter out there. 

Outside of my love for Castellanos, we really need a lefty hitter that can help battle against righties with tough sliders. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Baron said:

No doubt. I'd be happy with a ~90 -105-ish wrc+, if it came along with league-average defense/defensive range, no gaping handedness deficiency, and dependable health.  In fWAR terms, a garden-variety ~1.2 to 2.0 fWAR type. Surely this can be gotten for a reasonable contract, without squandering resources [Cash or MiLB pieces] best used on a finishing trade for a future WS run, yes?

And IF such a player could be gotten, it would rightly place Engel in his role as a Sunday Lineup CF, defensive sub, and pinch runner. If Leury returns, he gets pushed down a notch to IF/OF utility depth. Most importantly, it would rightly push Mazara down to the Delmonico/fungible AAAA OFer role, and help Delmonico get started on a Korean or Mexican career. In other words, everyone gets slotted where he belongs, in a winning team.

For as much as I hated the Mazara pickup, I can understand trying to take a flier on him, given that perhaps this team was fringy in terms of competing in a hypothetical 162 game 2020 season. But, teams that are truly in the hunt for the postseason don't try to add two replacement-level players [Engel/Mazara], and hope that they'll miraculously add up to more than what they are. Since the competitive window has been thrust open in a 60 game sprint, this roster can ill afford several DHs trying to play defense.

Edited by Two-Gun Pete

12 hours ago, ChiSox59 said:

Ive noticed certain posters here just get set on a specific player and cant move off him or even open their eyes to the other 20-30 possible candidates