Realistic trade candidates AKA The Lynnsanity Thread

Orlando

5 minutes ago, michelangelosmonkey said:

How is it possible that Collins has no value at all??   25 year old left handed hitting catcher with plus power and an elite batting eye??   Reynaldo Lopez has NO value?  In 2018 and 19 had 35 Quality starts, is only 26 and can throw 98.  I think you spend too much time on Soxtalk where everyone that is not an immediate all star is garbage (and any all-star that has had a bad week is garbage).  

Every organization in baseball has their own players who haven't lived up to their potential.  There isn't an organization in baseball that is saying do you know what we really need?  Zack Collins and Reynaldo Lopez.  They have their own players they're trying to figure out how to develop. Sure they could be a throw in piece in a deal but neither player moves the needle.  

1 minute ago, michelangelosmonkey said:

Yes and I forgot Bernardo Flores...plus the pitchers we draft in 2021...and international signings...and guys that emerge from nowhere.  My point is that it's not Dunning or bust.  I think we have a lot of guys at the Dunning level.  I'd be upset if we traded Kopech because I think he has special stuff.   But the idea we can get someone of Lynn's quality for nothing?   I think Dunning, Collins, Lopez and Elijiah Tatis would be a great package for Lynn.  Rangers get two young pitchers with great stuff and upside, Collins a catcher with huge offensive upside and Tatis who in two years will likely be the best player in baseball.  What do we really lose?  Dunning =Stiever=Pinklington=etc.  4th starters in 2022.  We can't use a ten man rotation in two years.   

Pilkington is not even close to the level of Dunning or Stiever though.  The reality is that Dane Dunning is a legit top 100  / 50 FV grade prospect now that he’s healthy again.  Stiever could very well get there by this time next year, but is definitely a grade below at the moment.  Pilkington & Flores are 40 FV grade guys at best and really represent emergency depth options than potential future rotation pillars.  Don’t get me wrong, I’d really like to add Lynn to the top of our 202 & 2021 rotations, but losing Dunning is a much bigger risk from a depth perspective than losing one of these other guys.

26 minutes ago, michelangelosmonkey said:

I really think you can.  Stiever is younger and actually higher rated than Dunning....seems like the Rangers baseball people would like that even if Dunning is a bit sexier.  So go Stiever-Collins-Lopez and Tatis.  My only reason for including Dunning is I think he is easier to sell to the Rangers fan base because of his recent Dunning-Mize pitch off.  I actually kind of love a Gio-Dallas-Lynn-Cease-Dunning rotation for the next year and a half.  Hold on I'll go call the Rangers GM.  

I don’t think any Major League organization would value Stiever over Dunning after his start against the Tigers.  The only reason his stock fell with the major prospect-oriented publications was due to his TJS.  He had a ton of helium before he went down with injury and would likely be valued as the 50 FV grade prospect he once was.

I think the Sox have developed enough talent now, and improved enough acquired guys, that I would feel comfortable with them moving anyone but for Vaughn... maybe Kopech because he just reminds me so much of a young Verlander with the stuff, needing to find the command and etc. 

I just think the Sox have shown they're going to pop out more talent from this past draft and future ones. That confidence makes Stievers and Dunning's expendable because you should be finding those guys consistently going forward.

Edited by Look at Ray Ray Run

18 minutes ago, iWiN4PreP said:

guys i dont think anything big is going to happen at the deadline for anyone

im sad

There’s still time to make trades. Teams have up until tomorrow at 4pm ET. It’s also Sunday before the deadline so when we get closer we’ll hopefully start seeing some action.

Edited by maloney.adam

Just now, Sarava said:

I'm going to predict the Twins bite the bullet despite 2018, and trade for Lynn. They're in more of a position to overpay for a SP than the Sox are.

I was literally just thinking about this. They are sliding right now and Berrios hasn’t been the same guy this season for whatever reason. It could be a boost to their team.

14 minutes ago, Sarava said:

Someone posted a day or two ago that Keith Law said Reynaldo Lopez has little to no value. Personally I think he's losing his value in the rotation and it's time to try the bullpen.

Collins though...I don't know where he's a valuable fit for any team. The Sox thought so much of him as a catcher that they ran out and signed Grandal this past winter. Scouts have been saying for years he won't stick at catcher. I find it goofy that you think he has high value.

I think it's goofy you think Collins has no value.  Austin Hedges with his career .600 OPS catches 100 games a year.  You think if the White Sox waived Collins other teams would shrug and move on?   He had a .950 OPS in AAA last year...he's a lefty catcher...he's only 25.    I still think the White Sox think highly of Collins...they just thought their window was opening and one of the best catchers in the MLB was available as a free agent and they needed to show the fan base that they are in it.

As for the immortal Keith Law...it is idiotic to think Lopez has zero value.

And I did not say either one of them was the key to the trade...they are the extra pieces with the hot pitching prospect as the key piece. 

20 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Pilkington is not even close to the level of Dunning or Stiever though.  The reality is that Dane Dunning is a legit top 100  / 50 FV grade prospect now that he’s healthy again.  Stiever could very well get there by this time next year, but is definitely a grade below at the moment.  Pilkington & Flores are 40 FV grade guys at best and really represent emergency depth options than potential future rotation pillars.  Don’t get me wrong, I’d really like to add Lynn to the top of our 202 & 2021 rotations, but losing Dunning is a much bigger risk from a depth perspective than losing one of these other guys.

Today Pilkington doesn't equal Dunning.  My point was in two years they could be.  Pilkington is 3 years younger than Dunning...and their FV today is not their actual value in two years.  Some of those guys will develop...the Sox have a reasonably exciting stable of young pitching prospects.  We don't know if any of them will amount to anything.  We have a really good idea what Lynn will be the next year and a half.    

2 minutes ago, michelangelosmonkey said:

I think it's goofy you think Collins has no value.  Austin Hedges with his career .600 OPS catches 100 games a year.  You think if the White Sox waived Collins other teams would shrug and move on?   He had a .950 OPS in AAA last year...he's a lefty catcher...he's only 25.    I still think the White Sox think highly of Collins...they just thought their window was opening and one of the best catchers in the MLB was available as a free agent and they needed to show the fan base that they are in it.

As for the immortal Keith Law...it is idiotic to think Lopez has zero value.

And I did not say either one of them was the key to the trade...they are the extra pieces with the hot pitching prospect as the key piece. 

Today Pilkington doesn't equal Dunning.  My point was in two years they could be.  Pilkington is 3 years younger than Dunning...and their FV today is not their actual value in two years.  Some of those guys will develop...the Sox have a reasonably exciting stable of young pitching prospects.  We don't know if any of them will amount to anything.  We have a really good idea what Lynn will be the next year and a half.    

We're just going in circles at this point. If you think Collins is a valuable trade piece, then ok 😁

30 minutes ago, Harold's Leg Lift said:

Every organization in baseball has their own players who haven't lived up to their potential.  There isn't an organization in baseball that is saying do you know what we really need?  Zack Collins and Reynaldo Lopez.  They have their own players they're trying to figure out how to develop. Sure they could be a throw in piece in a deal but neither player moves the needle.  

UGH...the anti-Collins stuff is so old.  How has Collins "not lived up to his potential".  Are we basing that on the 30 major league at bats back in June/July of last year??   The 16 at bats this year?   I think he remains a key part of their future...they won't resign McCann and he will catch 50 games a year and DH and pinch hit.  He's only 25...we have to stop giving up on people.   

11 minutes ago, michelangelosmonkey said:

UGH...the anti-Collins stuff is so old.  How has Collins "not lived up to his potential".  Are we basing that on the 30 major league at bats back in June/July of last year??   The 16 at bats this year?   I think he remains a key part of their future...they won't resign McCann and he will catch 50 games a year and DH and pinch hit.  He's only 25...we have to stop giving up on people.   

His bat is about 3 seconds late on every fastball. If teams valued him as a catcher we’d know it. 

As it stands he’s a power hitting DH with a questionable hit tool, and there are a lot of those.

9 minutes ago, michelangelosmonkey said:

There are people who don't need a player to accumulate a bunch of stats to determine what kind of player they are.  There isn't a single person in baseball that thinks Collins can catch on a consistent basis and that includes the White Sox.  That kills any value he may have had because now he's a 1B/DH with swing and miss issues.  That type of player grows on trees.  

20 minutes ago, Sarava said:

I'm going to predict the Twins bite the bullet despite 2018, and trade for Lynn. They're in more of a position to overpay for a SP than the Sox are.

I don’t see it.  They got Maeda pitching out of his mind and Berrios, Hill, & Dobnak in the mix right now.  Plus they get Pineda back Tuesday and Odorizzi at some point before the playoffs.  I think they stick with what they have.

4 minutes ago, Harold's Leg Lift said:

There are people who don't need a player to accumulate a bunch of stats to determine what kind of player they are.  There isn't a single person in baseball that thinks Collins can catch on a consistent basis and that includes the White Sox.  That kills any value he may have had because now he's a 1B/DH with swing and miss issues.  That type of player grows on trees.  

His elite batting eye doesn’t grow on trees.  If you guys want to rip his weaknesses, which is totally fair, but let’s not ignore his strengths.

call me a meathead but im not up for giving up a lot of talent in a trade. I know the Dodgers havent won a WS with their dominance over the last few years but they have wave after wave of crushing prospects and impact players come up every year. Get what you can if the price is right, but dont make yourself weaker in 2021+. 

• Like 4