White Sox Probable Pitchers (PIT/KC/MIN)

gusguyman

After our off day today, we have 2 against PIT, an off day, then 3 vs KC and 3 vs MIN:

DmS5dbv.png

Giolito is throwing tomorrow, followed by Dallas on Wednesday. Presumably, the plan is then ReyLo (and GioG again?) on Friday, Cease on Saturday, and then it gets interesting. 

Based on the team's comments when they sent down Dane Dunning, I think the plan is to use the second offday to skip the 5th starter. Therefore Giolito would throw Sunday. However, this means he misses MIN, and we put Dallas, ReyLo, and Cease against them.

Personally, I would have kept Dane up and had him throw his spot against KC, then had Gio go against the Twins.

Even though that is not an option anymore, I still would like to see the pitchers adjusted to get both Gio and Dallas against the Twins. With offdays on either side of PIT I think you could do a bullpen day on one of those games, or separate Reylo and GioG and give them each a start against KC.

Lucas has struggled against the twins, but he's our number 1, and I don't like that we are possibly having him miss the Twins when options were available. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, gusguyman said:

After our off day today, we have 2 against PIT, an off day, then 3 vs KC and 3 vs MIN:

DmS5dbv.png

Giolito is throwing tomorrow, followed by Dallas on Wednesday. Presumably, the plan is then ReyLo (and GioG again?) on Friday, Cease on Saturday, and then it gets interesting. 

Based on the team's comments when they sent down Dane Dunning, I think the plan is to use the second offday to skip the 5th starter. Therefore Giolito would throw Sunday. However, this means he misses MIN, and we put Dallas, ReyLo, and Cease against them.

Personally, I would have kept Dane up and had him throw his spot against KC, then had Gio go against the Twins.

Even though that is not an option anymore, I still would like to see the pitchers adjusted to get both Gio and Dallas against the Twins. With offdays on either side of PIT I think you could do a bullpen day on one of those games, or separate Reylo and GioG and give them each a start against KC.

Lucas has struggled against the twins, but he's our number 1, and I don't like that we are possibly having him miss the Twins when options were available. 

I bet Dunning is recalled for Saturday or Sunday start against KC.  

PIT: Giolito and Keuchel

KC: ReyLo, Cease and Dunning

MN: Giolito, Keuchel, ReyLo 

Edited by ChiSox59
  • Love 1

Just now, Balta1701 said:

Just asking - is Rodon done for the year?

From what I recall last seeing was he’s a couple “ticks” behind Dunning. That’s what Hahn said two weeks ago, at least... whatever that means.

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

I bet Dunning is recalled for Saturday or Sunday start against KC.  

Yeah I just realized I miscounted the days and he is eligible to start be called back up and start on Aug 30th vs KC. I think that is the best plan.

Edited by gusguyman

4 minutes ago, gusguyman said:

Yeah I just realized I miscounted the days and he is elgible to start be called back up and start on Aug 30th vs KC. I think that is the best plan.

I think Dunning is technically eligible to return on Saturdya the 29th.  I'd probably try to avoid Reynaldo vs. Minnesota and shift Cease to Friday.  Still would be pitching on normal 4 day rest.   

KC: Cease (Friday), ReyLo (Sat), Dunning (Sun)

MN: Giolito, Keuchel, Cease

13 minutes ago, soxfan2014 said:

Honestly, never counting on him again. And neither should anyone on here. If he comes back, I'm throwing him in the pen.

Mhmmm.  I was not ready to throw in the towel on Rodon this past offseason, but I am now fairly certain his days as a Sox are over after 2020.  If we get a little bit of use out of him in the pen later on this season, great.  But he's a definite non-tender following 2020 at this point.  

• Thanks 2

18 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

Mhmmm.  I was not ready to throw in the towel on Rodon this past offseason, but I am now fairly certain his days as a Sox are over after 2020.  If we get a little bit of use out of him in the pen later on this season, great.  But he's a definite non-tender following 2020 at this point.  

Agreed 100%.

2 hours ago, ChiSox59 said:

I think Dunning is technically eligible to return on Saturdya the 29th.  I'd probably try to avoid Reynaldo vs. Minnesota and shift Cease to Friday.  Still would be pitching on normal 4 day rest.   

KC: Cease (Friday), ReyLo (Sat), Dunning (Sun)

MN: Giolito, Keuchel, Cease

I agree. Try to keep as many as possible on the regular schedule.

3 hours ago, soxfan2014 said:

Honestly, never counting on him again. And neither should anyone on here. If he comes back, I'm throwing him in the pen.

100% agree.  He could be a weapon coming out of the pen and we’re betting finding out sooner rather than later given he’ll likely get a good $5M or so in arbitration next year if we decide to bring him back.

17 hours ago, ChiSox59 said:

I could see us bringing him back on a 1 year deal so he can prove himself. I can't imagine he will have a big market after the past couple years

2 minutes ago, BigHurt3515 said:

I could see us bringing him back on a 1 year deal so he can prove himself. I can't imagine he will have a big market after the past couple years

He is making $4.5M in 2020 though.  Are you ready to pay him $6.5-7.5M via arb?  I doubt the Sox are.  

Maybe they non-tender him and get him to sign a cheap deal later in the offseason as insurance when he realizes there isn't a robust market for his services.  I would be good with that - but I doubt Rodon will agree to pay cut before arbitration.