Carson Fulmer released by Tigers

elrockinMT

3 hours ago, southsider2k5 said:

If a team was smart they would try to stretch him back out so that he could get the reps he needs to find his form again. 

I think he found his form and perfected it. I said it years ago - he is a total stiff. People talk about his stuff but he never showed anything but pure crap stuff at the major league level. People can say it was his command and yes that was bad but so was his stuff. If it weren’t for the fact he was an Uber high draft pick he would never get the run he had. 

Whatever he had in college hasn’t exsisted in years. If he is going to do anything, he needs to forget whatever adjustments Sox made and go back to his college form and rebuild what he used to do (even if it increases his injury risk) and see if he can find his old stuff. 

Without that he is a guy with an A+ attitude and D stuff and command. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, JuliusO1274 said:

I looked up his minor league numbers and he wasn't even good in any of the higher levels. I am not sure he even deserved to make it to the majors let alone get so many chances.

This - and his stuff sucked every since he made his adjustments or he had something else happen between being drafted and getting to the Sox org. Just watch his college highlights and pitches and let me know when he ever threw anything with that type of stuff with the Sox. 

2 minutes ago, joesaiditstrue said:

so what players from that draft did we pass over for fulmer in the first rd that are having success?

That is a stupid excercise because every team passes players that have success, that happens when hundreds of players are drafted.

Sure they could have drafted happ (9) or buehler (24) but they just as well could have drafted dillion tate (4), Cornelius Randolph (10) or garrett (not Forrest:)) Whitley (13).

4 hours ago, Chisoxfn said:

I think he found his form and perfected it. I said it years ago - he is a total stiff. People talk about his stuff but he never showed anything but pure crap stuff at the major league level. People can say it was his command and yes that was bad but so was his stuff. If it weren’t for the fact he was an Uber high draft pick he would never get the run he had. 

Whatever he had in college hasn’t exsisted in years. If he is going to do anything, he needs to forget whatever adjustments Sox made and go back to his college form and rebuild what he used to do (even if it increases his injury risk) and see if he can find his old stuff. 

Without that he is a guy with an A+ attitude and D stuff and command. 

Part of it is the quality of the hitters. Go back and look at college highlights. His stuff moves so much that the college hitters swung at pitches way out of the zone. The problem is his pitches still do that but ashe moved up the levels the hitters got better and just dont swing at the pitches. He went to driveline and they straightened him out some but when he did that his stuff was very hittable.  He never found that middle ground of the pitches moving but not enough to fly way out of the zone.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

I think that could be the end of it, maybe he gets a shot in Korea or Japan.

I think it was a big mistake trying to change the delivery. Maybe his body would have broken down but maybe he could have  been a  good reliever with that delivery. 

Really 9 out of 10 times delivery changes don't work because the body was used to that for a decade plus.

I would never do delivery changes, either you just let the guy pitch with that (like sale) or you don't draft wacky deliveries in the first place if you don't like them.

23 minutes ago, Dominikk85 said:

I think it was a big mistake trying to change the delivery. Maybe his body would have broken down but maybe he could have  been a  good reliever with that delivery. 

Really 9 out of 10 times delivery changes don't work because the body was used to that for a decade plus.

I would never do delivery changes, either you just let the guy pitch with that (like sale) or you don't draft wacky deliveries in the first place if you don't like them.

Ditto.

49 minutes ago, Dominikk85 said:

Ok maybe Fulmer is halfway decent if you never do delivery changes, but Giolito is also the worst pitcher in the league, if he's even still in it. It's baseball, the only blanket statement that isn't dumb is that blanket statements are dumb

On 8/24/2020 at 9:37 PM, JuliusO1274 said:

I looked up his minor league numbers and he wasn't even good in any of the higher levels. I am not sure he even deserved to make it to the majors let alone get so many chances.

I wonder if the way the Sox handled him had any major impact on his development

• Like 1